Still Searching...Please Help! - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 17.5'
California
Still Searching...Please Help!

My husband and I are still looking to purchase a fiberglass trailer. Due to driveway constraints and street parking limitations in our area, we have narrowed our focus to either the 17.5' Bigfoot or 19' Escape. We realize that part of the problem is that we live in Southern California and my husband's work schedule makes it difficult to travel long distances spontaneously.

Still, we continue our quest and hope that someone within 400 miles of Los Angeles will help out by giving us a call before they put their trailer up for sale. You can be sure we will maintain it properly and give it a good home! Thanks.

Stephanie & Steve
(310) 796-1305

Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
An intriguing approach! There are "highly-motivated" sellers and the "inside line" is frequently an advantage for friends and neighbors of the seller. Might not dropping a WTB ad in your local community news or Craigslist be more productive in nosing out the right seller for you? On the flip side, limiting your brand and model options to only two may mean that you really need the larger pool of trailers for sale to a nationwide (in the case of FGRV, transnational) pool of buyers. A great many of us here are interested in novel and, most particularly, successful buying strategies. Please let us know if a seller contacts you with advance notice of intent to sell, the result--deal or no deal, and your level of satisfaction with your strategy.

jack

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My WTB ad on this site worked well. Main reason I think is because I posted how much I was willing to pay and what I expected. I also was willing to pay more for local. If you figure you have to travel and spend a night or more just to look at a trailer whats it worth to you not to do that? The extra money added to the sales price may make someone motivated to get off the sellers fence. It gets much tougher if your looking for one specific size or brand. No one wants to go through the hassle of selling and haggeling with the buyer. Most people can be motivated to sell knowing that there is a motivated buyer that wants what they have and willing to pay for it. Anything not to have to place an ad and deal with the general public raiding their home trying to get half the value. Figure on the seller calling you that they will want a little more than the amount your actually stating what you are willing to pay. So take this in account when you figure your pricing. It kinda puts the seller in the drivers seat and you probably wont get any half price dream bargains but you never know. Its still up to you wether you want to fork over the cash or not. Its the tire kickers and low ball bargain hunters that make it tough to buy and sell these trailers and the fact that most of the owners become elderly and would rather see the trailer sit than do battle with the bottom dwellers.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
All good points, Steve. I also think that pre-sale and even pre-contact willingness to eschew haggling and pay the asking is the unstated but necessary reciprocal of this request. A tit for every tat.

jack
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

California
Hi Steve and Jack,

Thanks for responding. I have posted a "Fiberglass Trailer Wanted" ad on local Craigslists recently, but still no trailer. It appears there aren't many of these available in our area. We have parking restrictions where we live and need to find something that will fit in our limited driveway.

We started out focused on something vintage but discovered there were too many scammers and trailer-flippers involved in that market. In addition, many vintage trailers don't have a bathroom. Despite asking many specific questions and requesting additional photos, we wasted a lot of time and gas running around looking at things that did not live up to the seller's declarations. We have accumulated many stories but no trailer. Eventually, we decided to take our quest in another direction.

Friends of ours just purchased a 19' Escape trailer and we've decided that fiberglass is the way to go for us: No leaks, has what we need and fits in our driveway. As to what we can pay, I think I've researched these trailers enough to know what's fair, and we are prepared to pay accordingly. I'm limiting the search to Bigfoot and Escape because they are a bit more spacious and better insulated than the Casita and others and therefore more appropriate for our camping objectives.

So, here I am hoping that someone who is considering retiring or replacing their trailer spots this post and gives us a chance to purchase their trailer. I have to limit the geographic scope because of the time constraints imposed by my husband's job. (Wish we could offer money to have someone bring one down this way, but there are obvious problems involved in that.)

All I can do is keep posting, searching and hoping that something will come our way. If you have or know of someone who has a nice 17.5 Bigfoot or 19' Escape, please give us a call. I'm putting our home phone number in the post (against guidance from some) so people will know we're sincere and to facilitate communication.

Here's another thing to consider: We generally don't camp during the summer. Too hot and crowded for us. If you are thinking about getting some more camping in this summer and selling your trailer afterwards, call and let us know. We will keep looking, of course, but if we are still in the market come fall, we can make a deal. Thanks.

Stephanie & Steve
(310) 796-1305 (Land line; no texts, please.)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

California
Smile Hot Damn--We Got One!!!

The Trailer Gods have finally smiled upon us and rewarded our lengthy search with a fine "gift" in the form of a barely-used 2008 Bigfoot 17.5' rear gaucho trailer. My husband and I can barely contain our delight and wonderment that this miracle appeared less than 30 miles from our home in Southern California and was presented to us exclusively. (It even had the axle already flipped for high clearance as my husband wanted!)

One of the moderators responded to my initial post and asked for an update on how our innovative search methods worked out. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Behold:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2664.jpg   IMG_2671.jpg  

IMG_2670.jpg   IMG_2668.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Congratulations! Way to think outside of the box and getting what you had hoped for trailer looks very nice.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Love the fridge
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! Looks like a beautiful trailer. I have always like Bigfoots, they have a beautiful finish and great layouts. Enjoy it!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
ohhhh sweet! Well done! Have fun with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Wow! Nice trailer! I don't want to get religious, but it looks like prayer, (posting?) works.
Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #12

California
Thanks to all for the kind words of congratulations. We're thrilled to have it.

Our first project on her is to replace the awning roll, as the material is pretty brittle. (The previous owner included a brand new cover for the trailer with our purchase; too bad he never used it himself.)

We've contacted Bigfoot and will provide them with the serial number or other identifying information once we remove the roll this weekend so they can give us a quote for a replacement. However, it would be great if anyone could recommend other possible sources to find a replacement so we could compare cost. We want something nice that will compliment the trailer and last for a good while. (I've considered having something custom made from Sunbrella fabric but don't know if that's practical in terms of avoiding mildew when the awning is rolled up.) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stephanie
Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Beautiful, see your patience paid off.