Towing 13 ft Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #29
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Originally Posted by Carol H
Have no idea if that's factual or just internet rumour!
But you'll repeat it here, anyway.

SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
I'm a bit new to hauling campers but I haul other trailers all the time. Probably 1/3-1/2 of my 185k on my 2001 Mazda Tribute has had a utility trailer of some sort attached.

I'd recommend staying within the factory limits. You have to keep the Gross Vehicle Weight in mind too when towing. You can increase your towing capacity through aftermarket modifications. Trailer brakes for me are a must for any trailer over 2k lbs or if you are getting close to your max tow limit. If I were going to be towing consistently at or above my recommended tow capacity, I'd probably make the following modifications to my car:
- Transmission fluid cooler
- oil cooler
- power steering fluid cooler
- performance grade water pump
- potentially larger brakes
- at least a Class 3 hitch
- beef up the rear suspension (stiffer springs/shocks, rubbers in the springs, air springs, etc)

Also, can never hurt to squeeze more horsepower of your engine to help increase the capacity adding a turbo/supercharger, etc. Go find a tuner forum for your car model if you want to help boost your engine power.

I'm assuming the low tow rating on your CRV is due to a combination of a few things:
1) front-wheel drive
2) CRV is built on a Civic drivetrain and frame that's modified to ride higher and the CRV body has more weight than the Civic body.
3) being a 4 cyl.

I would recommend hooking it up and driving to the nearest truckstop (or agriculture station; somewhere with truck scales). Weigh the camper by itself and weigh your camper and CRV hooked up together. Those weights will tell you what your working with as a starting point and how close you are to your GVWR. You sound like you should be ok to drive it to somewhere close to weigh it dry but if you're nervous, you can get a friend to pull it for you and meet you over there.

1984 Uhaul CT 13
TV: 2011 Kia Sorento V6, 2001 Mazda Tribute V6
My U-haul Camper Blog
Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

I assume the Honda's North American rating is a marketing decision more than anything else. I know that the rating issue is a concern for many and for those people, I say tow with something else.

I have made none of the modifications to our Honda that you mention. The horsepower and torque are both more than adequate and we have made numerous mountain pass crossings and driven at least a 1000 miles of dirt and gravel roads with severe grades without issue. As to being a 4 cylinder, it's not the number of cylinders but the power output that counts. As to reliability it's very hard to beat any Honda engine for reliability.

The only change I make to the Honda is to increase the tire pressure.

Of course our trailer has brakes, I would not tow a trailer without brakes of any weight with any tow vehicle. If you read my posts you'll see we're as careful as possible, pressure sensors on tires, breakaway switch, check and re-check... all things I think everyone should do.

We always weigh our trailers and regularly check our tongue weight, an indication of loading and balance.

Our CRV is now 8 years old and has been towing for 4-5 years, During that period we have been on the road 35-40 months, more towing than most people.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post Community Rules

This is how it begins.
Thank you for your input, but it's (past) time to let it go.
  1. post #2
  2. post #6
  3. post #15
  4. post #22
  5. post #25
  6. post #31

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement... Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
This is how it begins:
A person makes a single post, expressing an opinion which they have every right to do.
They are then set upon with multiple lengthy posts, explaining why this opinion is invalid. Now the original poster feels compelled to defend their integrity with an answer, not to the original poster, but to these other posters. It becomes an argument between a few people, crowding out the participation of the rest of the community. It becomes a never ending battle of volume with the most posts "winning."

Then a Moderator must step in and take action. We don't always have the wisdom of Solomon but we try to do our best. Nobody is happy.
This is how it ends, again.
This thread is closed.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Closed Thread