Towing 13 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: charlie
Trailer: currently shopping
Arizona
Towing 13 ft Scamp

Hi all!- I just got Don from Texas' Scamp. Planning on towing it w/ my 2004 Honda CRV, auto tranny, no tow package, 100,000 miles, has always behaved fine. My husband is CONVINCED that I cannot tow the Scamp w/ my CRV From what I've read, here and elsewhere, it seems to me like it should be fine, he just won't be able to go his usual 80-90 mph (which I frown on anyway) I'd love some more input

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I know Texans drive fast. I'd keep it under 65 mph, probably your tire's maximum rated speed.

I'd also add a transmission cooler to your engine/transmission. Our son just added one to his Honda at Uhaul for less than $125. Personally I think this is a must, particularly in steamy Texas.

Other important items are tires and tongue weight.

The tire statement relate to both the Scamp and the Honda; tire age, condition and pressure are all important regardless of tow vehicle or trailer.

Tongue weight and trailer loading are also important. In my view tongue weight should be kept at or below 200 lbs. This should be relatively easy on a Scamp 13. It is also easy to measure.

We hope to get to another Texas rally next year. They are a lot of fun.

If you need more help don't hesitate to send me a PM.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Congrats on your new trailer - you found a good one!

On the Trailer Weights In The Real World thread here there are 3 13' Scamps listed - all weighed at trailer meets with peoples belongings in them. The weights range from 1620lbs to 1950lbs. As your trailer has a bathroom and is a deluxe model I would think it may weigh in at the higher end of the range?

If your CRV is only rated to tow 1500lbs? & your trailer weighs more than that loaded & its a pretty good bet based on above that it does, then I would suggest your husband is a very *SMART* man and you should give him an extra hug tonight. :-)

By towing over the vehicles towing weight spec you are IMHO taking a gamble that the vehicle manufacture is wrong in regards to what weight they believe the vehicle can safely tow. I think you will find the majority here stick to the safe towing practices & not tow over their vehicles towing weight limit. Few people are willing to take on the possible fall out and liability issues that may come with towing over your vehicles weight specs & the cause is found to be your towing more than your car was rated at. It stands to reason that most have a lot more to lose than they would save by towing with a vehicle that isn't rated for the weight of their trailer.

The good news is that there are lots of other smaller vehicles out there that could tow your Scamp and be within their towing capacity the RAV4, Subaru Forester & Mazda CX9 are just a few of your options.

Hope you have some great safe fun with your new trailer.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tow our 13 foot Uhaul with a 2003 CRV, auto trans, 130,000 miles. We've towed the trailer between four and five thousand miles with no problems. The Uhaul title says it weighs 1250 lb., never had it weighed though, and it has no brakes on it. We can run 65 to 70 on the interstates, it tows fine.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome cindercharlie, Glad you joined us! Congrat's on your new Scamp!

Like your Husband and Carol, I believe you may be pushing boudries that you might regret pushing. You don't say if your camping with just the two of you or your a family camping? There are many factors when towing, and all factors need to be considered.

Of course there are those that choose to tow beyond the recomendations of their vehicle manufactures recommendations, can't change that! But only suggest you follow your vehicles owners manual.

If you don't know what the trailer weighs, take it and have it weighted. It's inexpensive to know exactly what your pulling around. It's not worth having an issue with either your vehicle (drive train, tranny, etc etc etc) or god forbid have an accident that not only includes your and yours but everyone else on the road around you when it happens. There are so many factors to consider when towing, and just because a vehicle can roll down the road towing something that is suppose to be out of their towing range doesn't mean it should tow it! One factor that many don't consider is their insurance provider not covering a vehicle that is towing improperly. Towing isn't all about getting down the road, sometimes it's about slowing a trailer down with going down a down grade. Can your vechicle handle it? Just because some people push their luck and get away with it, doesn't mean everyone can.

You say from what you have read here and else where you think you'll be fine. Of course as I said there are some who choose to tow improperly, But frankly 99% of towing information out there will tell you, you probably won't be fine...... Or at the very least pushing the boundries. Everyone takes information that fits their needs, but in this instance I will have to recommend you take your vehicle manufactures recommendations and bide by them.

If you really want to read something you should read the post where info is provided that even the manufactures are most likely gonna reduce their tow caps due to new studies. I will see if I can find that info to direct you there. I do hope you rethink your towing issue or at the very least do anything and everything to tow properly within the guidelines stated in your owners manual. Best of luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Charlie,

I seriously doubt you'll have any drive train problems with a Honda CRV towing a Scamp 13 particularly if you add a transmission cooler. We've had none towing a Scamp 16 or its equivalent in over 4-5 years.

The key advice beyond the addition of a transmission cooler would be to consider adding brakes to the trailer. If the axle contains brake mounts it should be easy and not too expensive.

Lastly I would seek face to face advice from a Scamp 13 'tower'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Lastly I would seek face to face advice from a Scamp 13 'tower'.

Ummm, One that tow's properly within their vehicles towing guidelines or one who tow's improperly? And honestly, what does it matter if someone is towing a, scamp or any other glass brand? If your gonna speak, "face to face with a 13ft tower, I suggest speaking to many! Not just one, whom might be giving you mis-information................

I for one will again, recommend towing within your vehicles owners manual guidelines. What's it gonna hurt?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Actually the key Norm is if it turns out you are wrong are you going to be handing over funds to help people pay their medical bills and legal fees as freely as you tell folks to go ahead and tow trailers that are over their vehicles tow specs?

That Norm is as you like to say, is a serious question that needs to be answered!

I dont know about anyone else but I find it a sad day for this list when someone new to our trailers and this list makes the following statement, about whether they can pull a trailer that weighs more than their vehicles tow specs:

"From what I've read, here and elsewhere, it seems to me like it should be fine,"

To bad they dont get to see all the posts & threads that have been posted but deleted due to how hot people tend to get when this topic comes up & a party tells someone to go for it! Good bet the only reason it hasn't happened on this thread is due to the fact that its buried under the wrong subject matter.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #9

Very good point Carol!

For me, the advocating makes me crazy. And frankly I worry for anyone who would believe someone they don't know over all the information available.

But I think what makes me crazier is, that the many member's that have pm'ed me and said they agree with safe towing practices but won't speak up. Because they don't want to get involved.

So a few of us try to do the right thing and stop the advocating to anybody who will listen to dumb luck story time and time again. And just because someone has written a bazillion page disertation on dumb luck, doesn't make that dumb luck right! Nor does Pming such information make it any righter. Improper towing is just that, Improper towing!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
But I think what makes me crazier is, that the many member's that have pm'ed me and said the agree with safe towing practices but won't speak up. Because they don't want to get involved.
Yup drives me nuts as well - I appreciate the PM's of encouragement supporting my view as well but its clearly time for people to speak up when we have new people reading this info and assuming we all agree because most have totally given up on even trying anymore in attempting to explain to Norm why this is not in the best interested of this list or anyone on it - most people have just given up in frustration.

Its a shame that one person with a mission to prove that a CRV can safely tow anything by anyone is crowding out all the good work that other members here do in helping us all make good decisions in regards to safe towing - such as what Frederick does in weighing our trailers.

As you say why anyone would actually take the word of someone they have only meet on the internet as to what is safe over the word of the people who actually built the car is a real puzzler.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its a shame that one person with a mission to prove that a CRV can safely tow anything by anyone is crowding out all the good work that other members here do in helping us all make good decisions in regards to safe towing - such as what Frederick does in weighing our trailers.

Totally agree, a point I brought up many moons ago. Still doesn't sink in! Such a shame..........................
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
One of the early '70s Boler brochures shows a Boler being towed by a VW beetle. Although these cars were probably heavier, the engine size and brake capacity would have been very different then our modern vehicles. One must also consider that roads are more congested and speeds are faster.

Although this conversation has gotten a little bit "warm" I do hope that the moderators leave it alone. There is a difference between what can be done and what should be done.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
There is a difference between what can be done and what should be done.

Exactly!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
One of the early '70s Boler brochures shows a Boler being towed by a VW beetle. Although these cars were probably heavier, the engine size and brake capacity would have been very different then our modern vehicles. One must also consider that roads are more congested and speeds are faster. .
LOL back in the 70's we did a lot of things that time & accidents/incidents statistics have proven to have been unsafe. The list is endless - but to name just a few: driving without seat belts, carrying our babys home on our laps in the front seat of the car, roads/states with no speed limits.... the list is endless.

No one wants to see anyone here to go back in time and prove over again why it was these are things we no longer do! Its not necessary as others have already been there done that and proven its not safe.

Closed Thread

Tags
scamp