trailer for hunter compact body - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Name: john
Trailer: compact hunter II / restoration
trailer for hunter compact body

looking for plans or like for hunter compact 2 trailer (not body). found the body sitting but no trailer and trying to determine if worth building. any info suggestion or recommendation on dimensions, mounting, etc. appreciated. thanks

xmansurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
this may work for you. (from )

RV There yet??
Don'n'Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
My Compact II frame was made of 1.5 or 2" channel Iron. It was a very light weight but not a very strong frame. I am now working on a Mini Rover frame (An East Coast Trails West type camper) The MR frame is made of 2" square tubing. It is basicly the same trailer frame but about 2-3 times stronger.
Years ago someone on the site built a trailer frame for a Compact II and they extended the frame several feet up front and used the area for storage. The Compact II is usually nose lite so a little more weight up front is not a bad thing. The longer trailer will also make it easier to back up.
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Name: john
Trailer: compact hunter II / restoration

does anyone in NorCal resonably local to SF area have a HunterCompact that i can come and look at? i need to visualize the trailer/body connections and axle config to determine if i need to raise height of frame or extend axle to get tire size 15 with a wider tread. as said this is modified to go light to med off road
xmansurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
John, I may know someone that can help you. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll pass the message along.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
I drew that and while it's strong enough for a Compact II frame, it's not based on the Compact II dimensions, so it may not fit.

2"x2"x1/8" (11ga) for the main rails and 2"x2"x1/8" angle for the cross-members would seem to be plenty strong enough, but the best plan would be to get the dimensions from someone with an existing Compact II frame.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
There was a bare Compact-II frame sitting in Yucca Valley for several years but the owner scrapped it just last summer, bummer....
You can come on down to Riverside and measure mine if you like.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Name: Bret & Ellen
Trailer: Escape 19 - 2009, '73 Compact II

My wife and I are Donna D's Northern California Compact II (1973) connection. We recently purchased our Compact to be used as a loner trailer to friends and family that would love to camp, but don't enjoy tents anymore.

We are in the I-80 foothills above Sacramento, and you are welcome to come/visit/measure almost anytime (I work from a home office). I will likely be removing the trailer body from the frame this spring in order to clean, repair, and paint the frame.

I'll PM you with contact info.

Bret Tresidder is offline   Reply With Quote