Trillium wanted - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Trillium wanted

Hi All,

I've been monitoring some of the recommended sites for trailers for sale, but thought I'd at least start by seeing if anyone here is looking to sell their 70s/80s 1300 or 4500 Trillium.

I am willing to travel a good bit (WA, OR, ID, MT, Southern BC) and willing to take on a (towable) project but prefer one in usable shape with mostly original equipment (at least no major modifications/holes cut into it).

I'm not in a huge hurry and am willing to spend what they go for for one in great shape. By the way - I also prefer the ones that have the window in the door (guessing that was an option at the time).

I know this is a long shot, but I can see from previous threads that this has worked out for people in the past.

Kevin

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
FYI, I think I recently read here that the door window is something that was offered/available only on the 1978 4500.

Could be wrong about that, but as I remember the words about the door window, they were spoken by member David Tilston, an avid and experienced Trillium guy who will likely post with any necessary corrections once he sees this post.

Good luck in your search!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
FYI, I think I recently read here that the door window is something that was offered/available only on the 1978 4500.

Could be wrong about that, but as I remember the words about the door window, they were spoken by member David Tilston, an avid and experienced Trillium guy who will likely post with any necessary corrections once he sees this post.
The first thing I want to say is, good choice!

The door window is standard on all Deluxe Trillium 4500's. The 1978's had one that opens, the rest are just a pane of glass. It is a rare 4500 that does not have a window in the door. The kitchen window seems to be standard on all 4500's, deluxe, or not.

On 1300's the kitchen window is as rare as a missing door window is on a 4500. the door windows on a 1300 are fairly common. About half of them. Not available on anything older then 1976. Of course some earlier ones were modified by their owners.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Thanks for the info! It may take me a while, but hopefully I'll find one that fits the bill.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thanks for clarifying that, David!

Here's another one that might need such treatment:

At least on my 78 (which has the opening window), the cutout is simply that- cutouts through the panels of the door. No molded-in edge reinforcement like that Trillium used around the body windows. The window itself is fully framed, presumably supplying whatever rigidity is necessary for support.

Cutouts being reasonably simple to do, this suggests to me that a similarly sized/built doorwindow could be installed in any Trillium with the same door design. Is that a fair presumption?

Just thinkin' Kevin might keep this in mind while shopping...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
For some idea of how Trilliums have changed over the years, take a look at this thread:
Serial numbers on a Trillium

Each serial number links to photos of the trailer.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Cutouts being reasonably simple to do, this suggests to me that a similarly sized/built doorwindow could be installed in any Trillium with the same door design. Is that a fair presumption?
I would say so. The only issue is that the 1976 and later doors have a flat spot to install the window. Earlier Trilliums have no such flat spot. There is a curve that might make a window install a bit more difficult. There is no flat spot for the kitchen windows on 1300's, or even the 4500's, I think, but that is a small jalousie window.

Tags
trillium