WA - Looking for a small trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Reinout
Trailer: In the Market
WA
WA - Looking for a small trailer

Hi all! I'm new to the forum so if I am not doing this right, I apologize.

I have a 1997 Toyota 4 Runner (3.4l, manual) and my wife and I are looking for a small trailer. We've looked at Scamp primarily but are very open to other brands. Ideally, we would like a trailer with a toilet and shower, but that's not a "must".

A fixer upper is great!

We are based in Tacoma, Washington.

Thanks and happy roads!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Reinout,

Welcome to the forum. Consider including fiberglassrv4sale, searchtempest, and some of the other forums such as the ones for Scamp and Escape, and the two for Casita. Just search for "Scamp forum", "Escape trailer forum", etc. and you will quickly find them.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

decide what model you want but open that up too. do you want a 13f watch here intently they are listed but in many cases they go within minutes if they are priced right.

I did a 4 state search for our scamp 13f found it on craigslist it was listed here also.

have a money figure in mind! have your cash ready, have your tug ready and be ready to roll when that perfect one to you is listed.

welcome by the way

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #4

WA
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I will look at those forums. I HAVE noticed that things go reallllll fast if they pop up. I've also found a number of scam(ps) ☺

I'll post what I get and restore it!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome!

You can find a few of the smallest 13' trailers with full wet bath, but most will not. In that size trailer (remembering that 13' is the overall length; the cabin is only 10'), the bath takes up a chunk of valuable real estate. A 13'er will weigh about 1600-1900# with wet bath, 1400-1700# without. Casitas are somewhat heavier.

Once you get to the 16' size class, you will find most do have a wet bath. Scamp's side bath (layout 4) is really tiny, definitely not for tall or broad people, but the trade-off is a larger galley. The front bath is roomier, but you have to give up the side dinette (layout 5) or live with a tiny galley and limited storage (layout 6). A 16' Scamp weighs 2400-2800# depending on layout and options. Again Casitas are a little heavier.

Most of them have a really small main "double" bed at 45"x76". Some couples can handle than; others cannot. If you need a bigger bed, you have a few options: Scamp deluxe (wood interior) models have a 54"x76" bed, a few late model (2014+) Scamp 13 standards have a 54"x76" "big bed" option, and the Casita 16 Liberty model has a large dinette/bed area that can be configured several different ways.

You'll come across other brands in your search, including a number of long-gone "legacy" brands. You'll have to evaluate each on a case-by-case basis.

Start by researching the tow rating of your vehicle and cross reference it against our database Trailer Weights in the Real World to see what's possible (post #297 links to a spreadsheet). With a couple of exceptions, these are all fully loaded on-the-road weights measured on a certified scale.

Remember that tow ratings are based on two people and no cargo in the vehicle. Most people would argue against towing right at the upper limit of your vehicle's rating to allow some wiggle room, especially if extra people and/or cargo, mountain grades, hot temperatures, headwinds, and/or high altitudes may be part of your travels.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Hi. In a couple of weeks, we'll have our 17-foot, 1999 Burro, up for sale for $10,000 US. We live on Pender Island, BC so are fairly close to you in Tacoma. We've had the trailer for 10 years, just moving along to something bigger. According to trailer weights in the real world on the FGRV site, it weighs 3260 pounds. If you'd like more info, we can provide that, and pictures after the Easter weekend.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post

I have a 1997 Toyota 4 Runner (3.4l, manual) and my wife and I are looking for a small trailer. We've looked at Scamp primarily but are very open to other brands. Ideally, we would like a trailer with a toilet and shower, but that's not a "must".

A fixer upper is great!

Thanks and happy roads!
Just remember, it is not free to fix up a fixer trailer. The better shape the trailer is in the sooner you will be on the road having fun.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post

A fixer upper is great!

Thanks and happy roads!
:Reinout, yes a big welcome to you and your wife. What you must do is go to Craigslist on your computer daily until you find what you want and when you do jump on it quickly as the time of the season is upon all of us who want the same items as you do. So say you go to Spokane and start there you bring up Spokane and got to RV.etc. then bring them up and start going through all 1 to 3000 of them or maybe the first 10 days of listings, nothing there then you go to Seattle and do the same, then Portland, Yakima, Wenatchee, Salem and so on, you might have to drive a ways for them but in the end the drive might be worth it, make sure you have the right ball size on your hitch, also another place to look is Trailers for sale and referrals right on this site as a lot of them show up here for sale. If you get on the ball you will find what you want and if when you read it try and contact the seller right away, remember your dollar is worth more in Canada and there are those on here who have bought north of the border who can tell you just what you have to do to bring them across.
All I can say is Good luck on your first Venture and that you do not have to do a lot of repairs on your first Venture. You will see them going for $0.00 right up to thousands of dollars and I always look at it this way the more you usually pay the better shape they are in the less you pay the more work your going to have to do to it to make it the way you want.
Stude
Old 04-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
our 13footer

I guess after reading some horror stories here on campers we were so lucky. got our 13f scamper for 5k I didn't care what year it was frankly it fit our pocket book and according to his pictures it was in good condition and fit our needs.

we found her on craigslist called him on the phone it hadn't been listed for long decided he was honest, we sent him a deposit and within a few days we were on our way long days drive would have driven farther!

the p/o had spent some money on it but was moving to a bigfoot 5th wheel so we got his 13f camper.

you are starting at peak buying time so going to be rough finding a deal but stay persistant something will turn up!

good luck

bob
Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Hi. In a couple of weeks, we'll have our 17-foot, 1999 Burro, up for sale for $10,000 US. We live on Pender Island, BC so are fairly close to you in Tacoma. We've had the trailer for 10 years, just moving along to something bigger. According to trailer weights in the real world on the FGRV site, it weighs 3260 pounds. If you'd like more info, we can provide that, and pictures after the Easter weekend.
Thank you. I think it's above the "comfortable" towing limit a little bit of our truck, but I would like more info. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Name: Mary
Trailer: Casita
Washington
1993 16ft Casita Freedom Deluxe

Hi, we live close to Tacoma. Have the above listed trailer for sale. It is in great condition. We have added: custom foam mattress for the front area;
Led interior lights, sway bar, rear removable bike rack for 2 bikes, curtains, painted cabinetry; area rugs, exterior cover and awning. Serviced yearly and has always been taken care of. It has a front shower/toilet, AC, propane heater and microwave/toaster oven. We keep it heated in the rainy cold weather to keep it dry and musk free. All carpet and upholstery in great condition. We pull it with a Honda Pilot and it trails great. I need to take more interior photos tomorrow.
Asking $8500. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 on 13 foot trailers, the body of the trailer is only 10 foot. So squeezing a bathroom in means you lose a lot of precious living space. If its not a must have, then the front bunk/sofa is something that is very useful (a place to sit without taking up the bed, and a second place to sleep if someone is sick or whatever).

Also realize not only are molded trailers short in length, they tend to be narrower than traditional trailers, so you get squeezed both directions!

Me, I'm a big fan of having a place inside the trailer to sit, that doesn't require taking up the bed. Even though we spend most of our time outside, there are times with bad weather or whatever where room inside to sit is very nice to have.

A bathroom is a must have for my wife, and a place inside to sit is a must have for me, so we have ended up with our Escape 19.

The Scamp 13 is a fine choice for many campers!!!!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #13

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin View Post
Hi, we live close to Tacoma. Have the above listed trailer for sale. It is in great condition. We have added: custom foam mattress for the front area;
Led interior lights, sway bar, rear removable bike rack for 2 bikes, curtains, painted cabinetry; area rugs, exterior cover and awning. Serviced yearly and has always been taken care of. It has a front shower/toilet, AC, propane heater and microwave/toaster oven. We keep it heated in the rainy cold weather to keep it dry and musk free. All carpet and upholstery in great condition. We pull it with a Honda Pilot and it trails great. I need to take more interior photos tomorrow.
Asking $8500. Let me know if you are interested.
Thank you. I will let you know if we are interested.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #14

WA
Thank you! My research is saying exactly all that. I'm okay without the bathroom, she's not ☺