Want to buy a 13 ft fibreglass trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: In the market
Prince Edward Island
Want to buy a 13 ft fibreglass trailer

Hi I am brand new to this forum. I really do not know alot about fibreglass trailers but I am convinced it is the best choice for myself. Lots of info on this site, but one question which one to go with Boler, Trillium or Scamp?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to FGRV!

I own a Trillium so I will say, 'look for a Trillium!'

But any owner of a FG camper will say their's is the best. So very likely the one you will buy will be the one you find......and that suits your needs.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Steve, there is no clear "better". Go with what is nearest to you and is, of course, in good condition at a fair price.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Steve, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Best? Why all of them of course! It starts with your tow vehicle, then moves to budget and layout needs.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #5

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Good luck on the search! you'll find that each manufacturer has good and bad features, so it will depend on what you prefer and what fits your camping style. ...and what you find for sale near you. Please post photos when you find your dream camper

Be sure to understand your car's tow rating, and the 'real' weights of these campers.
Trailer Weights in the Real World
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In as much as you mentioned Boler, I suspect that you are interesting in buying a "Previously Camped In" trailer, vs a new one. As such you left out about 20+ other possible brands. Personally, I prefer the not even mentioned BigFoot trailers. We just sold our 13', Lil' Bigfoot, and are hot on the trail for a 17'.

You will get more suggestions if you let us know your needs in terms of features you have to have, like a wet bath, a/c etc, your sleeping requirements (2-4, adults/kids) your abiity/desire to do repairs, your anticipated tow vehicle (TV) and a hint about how much you want to spend.

For example, if you want a turnkey, 13' with a wet bath and that sleeps 4 adults you may well be outa luck.

On the other hand, if you want a decent 'fixer" that sleeps 2, you can pull with a
Toyota FJ, and have a budget of $5000, the possibilities are endless.

BTW: My family is from Mermaid, PEI and dates back to Neil Munn & Elizabeth (Betsy) MacLeod (c. 1820's) As my grandmother was born there, that makes me 1/4 Canadian.

Anyway, tell us more about your wants, needs & abilities and we will pitch in and try to help out.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Prince Edward Island
Not sure of our needs yet. There will be 2 of us and presently we are sleeeping in a tent. Was going to go with a tent trailer but after reading about hardtops and fibreglass we decided on a fibreglass one. We drive a dodge caravan.
Looking for a used one between 4000 and 8000. Was looking at 13 ft ones but maybe a larger one would be better.
Do not need anything fancy inside going to be used for mainly sleeping and getting out of the rain. We do a lot of hiking biking etc from the months May to October.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
In my OPINION, the best two person fibreglass trailer would have a front dinette. This is a two person dinette that can be converted to a single bed if necessary. The advantage to a front dinette is that the two person bed can be left as a bed, and not converted from a table to a bed every night.

The ideal unit that I am shopping for would be a 1978, or later front dinette Trillium 4500 Deluxe. This is a 15', (4500 mm) version of the 13' Trillium 1300, (13'). The same floor plan, just more generous in proportion. Ironically, the ceiling is about an inch lower on the 4500 compared to the 1300. The 4500 is about 1700 lbs dry, and the 1300 is about 1400 lbs dry. There is really no price difference between them.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Well Steve, you may be in luck! We're less than a month away from October. That sounds like it's the end of YOUR camping season. AND, from that time until the START of camping season, prices are typically at their lowest. Folks have finished camping for the year and don't want to winterize or "winter" over a trailer because that might mean they're paying for storage and they've already decided to sell.

I suggest a couple of things. Download and print out the Buyer's Check List from the Document Center. Educate yourself on items that need to be checked out on every single trailer you personally view. Check out the Home Page and note all the different brands listed (some of the current brands are MIA). You'd kick yourself if you missed out on a great {brand} of trailer because you didn't know it was all molded. And lastly, have cash in hand and prepare to pounce when you see something that suits your needs. Even in the worst weather, these trailers in great shape and at a good price go fast!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Caravan Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by porters93 View Post
Not sure of our needs yet. There will be 2 of us and presently we are sleeeping in a tent. Was going to go with a tent trailer but after reading about hardtops and fibreglass we decided on a fibreglass one. We drive a dodge caravan.
Looking for a used one between 4000 and 8000. Was looking at 13 ft ones but maybe a larger one would be better.
Do not need anything fancy inside going to be used for mainly sleeping and getting out of the rain. We do a lot of hiking biking etc from the months May to October.

You didn't mention the age of your Caravan, but from personal experience I know that they are not known for a transaxle that will take much of a beating, esp if they have a few miles on them already.

You might check your owners manual for a weight rating as well as look into adding a very large aux transmission cooler to help out.
And remember, just adding a few feet to a 13' will get you another 500-1000 extra lbs to pull.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Hi Steve
Welcome to FiberglassRV.com
You're going to get a lot of "gotta have" from several people on this site. However is sounds like your needs/wants are closer to mine. I'll present you with a lot questions for you to answer for yourself. You don't need to answer them here.
1. There's lots of camping choices, but the biggest one to answer is electricity or no electricity. If you're used to tent camping electricity might not be a need. Electricity is provided by the campground at premium.
If you're not going to be camping where there's electricity then there's no need for items like a microwave oven, Air Conditioner, and other electrical appliances.

2. Is the walk to the a campground provided potty a problem? if not then you don't need a toilet.

3. Do the nights get cold? A furnace could be nice, but may not be necessary.

4. Can you sleep comfortably in sleeping bags? If so converting the dinette to a bed and back again each day isn't much of problem.

Those I believe are the major questions. I'm sure there are others.

My wife and I came to the trailer from backpacking, 40+ years of backpacking and 20+ years of car tent camping. We looked and look at the trailer as a hard sided tent with furnace and stove. We camp in National Parks and National Forests mostly with no hookups (boondocking some would call it). No toilet, no A/C, no electric water pump, no shower, no hot water heater. We stuff the sleeping bags every morning and take them out each night. The cook surface provides most of the cooking needs. 12 gallons of water in the water tank will last us about 2 weeks. We do have propane refrigerator. The late night trip across the road to the potty is usually refreshing and the night sky is beautiful.
We're spend well over 100 night per year in the trailer, usually close to 100 each winter on one trip.

Hopefully this will give you a starting place in your search.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #12

Prince Edward Island
Thanks for all your replies and help.
Next challenge is to find one. It seems here in PEI and Nova Scotia they go fast. May have to extend my search to Ontario and North Eastern states.
If anyone know of a friend of a friend selling one let me know.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #13

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Which Trailer

Trillium, all the way. LOVE mine !!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Brinacombe View Post
Trillium, all the way. LOVE mine !!!!
Mine, too -Trillium 1300-plenty of head room, plenty of storages and....all kinds of modification if you wish. Light weight, low center of gravity, stable on HW with high speed in high wind, up, down steep hill.....That's why mine gradually becomes...ONE OF THE KIND IN NORTH AMERICA...none will be like that...LoL.