Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper

Elizabeth, welcome to the forum!

Not to be too discouraging, but unless you stumble onto a "barn find," a trailer in that price range is likely to need hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, not to mention hours and hours of time, just to make it safe to tow and minimally liveable. Barn finds do happen, but as Donna says, you have to be constantly looking, ready to pounce, and able to tell the difference between a barn find and a basket case.

Spending lots of time here will grow your knowledge base as you wait for lightening to strike... But as you wait, it would be a good idea to create a savings plan, as increasing your budget would realistically open up a lot more options.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #16

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
Hello Bob,

That is such a good find and a great deal for the pop up camper. It looks like it is
new. Y'all did a great job fixing it up. Your son and his wife will be able to have
wonderful memories in that camper, and you will know that they are safe together
too.

That is a great idea about flyers...and I have a printer. I would never have thought
of that for a camper. Thank you for your creative idea.

I had thought of a pop up at one time, but since I will be traveling alone with only my cute (but not able to be protective dog), I decided that a fiberglass camper would be a better idea for safety. It is more difficult to break into a hard shell, and they do
lock up nicely too.

Your fiberglass camper in the background of the pop up looks great. I am sure y'all
must get a great deal of fun with it. What a nice way for the family to be able to
go camping and travel together, and now with two campers perhaps even more time
together.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your creative idea.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #17

Alabama
Thank you Jon,

I appreciate your input and time with sharing your ideas. I am sure you have
a very solid base of knowledge and "know how" on finding and fixing these
campers. I for sure have much to learn. I will be taking you up on your
suggestion to spend time studying and researching the tutorials and other
posts to learn how to do all of the things that will most likely be needed
once my little camper is found.

I like your categories of "barn find" and "basket case" lol. How cute. That
sounds like two categories to become very aware of in all of the details
that will need to be taken into account before a purchase. Now all I have to
do is learn what needs to go on the criteria list. Good thing I enjoy learning...
looks like it will take quite awhile to learn all that I will need to know to make
my little camper just right too. How nice to have a new adventure of learning on
the horizon.

Once I do have my camper, the first thing that I will want to do is to figure out
how to put a studio easel in it without putting holes in the camper. I have no
clue yet how to do that, and of course there are portable easels too, but I
am sure that there must be some way to attach one to a wall without real
damage to the camper. It looks like the little tables could be turned into
slanted drawing boards very easily, so that will help too. These things are way
down the road of course...just thinking out loud a bit.

Have wonderful fun and grand times with your family in your campers.
Again, thank you for your input and consideration in responding.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Hi Elizabeth. Welcome.

Through this site, I found a '76 Trillium listed at $1,500, and ended up getting it for $1,000. But, like Rick, I will be putting a minimum of $4,000 into the rebuild, and this is with me doing all but the welding work. The minimum I would have had to spend, just to get it worthy of using would be about $2,500.

With these older trailers, you basically get a shell, possibly a decent frame, and maybe save a couple appliances. The list of redoing things can be very long, and different in every case.

Here is a link to the build thread I started. I do have to add to it now, plus have tons of work left to do, with a May 2nd deadline.
1976 Trillium 1300 Remodel - For Caitlin
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #19

Alabama
Hi Ricky,

You sure made your camper look stunning. I can see why you have worked so
hard on it for so long, but what a jewel you have now. That is beautiful work
with very high standards to say the least. You deserve to be able to up
your value and coverage. I am delighted for you and your family to be able
to take a camper in that rough shape, and create new into such a lovely
portable home. Well done you.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Almost forget, Elizabeth... It is recommended not to post personal contact information in the public threads. It's safer to use a private message (PM) to share that information with a potential seller. You may still be able to edit your earlier post to remove it, but if not, send a PM to a moderator and they will edit it for you.

I love your positive attitude! Keep learning, keep looking, and I know the right trailer will come your way.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #21

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
You may want to look into visiting the Green Eggs & Ham Rally near Montgomery March 11-15. They have trailer open house and it's a great time to see what others have done to their trailers as well as see different brands. This may help you to see what is possible.
Also check the referrals listings here under Classifieds.
Good luck in your hunting. And, as has been said, don't be afraid to bargain.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

Alabama
Hi again Jon,

Opps....too late...but thanks...will not do that again. That was not too bright on my part to say the least. I was just not thinking in safety terms...more on meeting new friends. Thanks Jon for the heads up.

Thanks for the positive encouragement too. I am holding the vision firmly! I believe my little camper will come to me soon too (crosses fingers,
throws salt over her shoulder, does an Irish gig...just for luck, etc.) lol
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #23

Alabama
Hi Lorna,

Green eggs and ham rally...too too cute. I will "Suess up" and check that out. Will I need to bring the Cat in the Hat? lol..starts looking around for her red and white striped long socks and top hat.

Alabama is a great place for a rally for me, especially Montgomery.
If you remember then, feel free to call me when you arrive.

Hope you all enjoy it and enjoy your time in Alabama as well. Who knows...maybe I will be able to rally with you by then. I will look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

So many friendly and considerate people on this forum....so nice. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #24

Alabama
Hello Jim,

Thanks for sharing your finding your camper story. That sounds reasonable to me to have gone through those steps. It must have helped a lot to have such a wide
knowledge base on how to repair and upgrade all the parts of the camper.

What a great idea to start the "how to do it" section. I think I will be spending a lot of hours in there from now on...well....after I keep my diligent search up and find
my little camper. For the now I can spend time there after my searching time
each day. It is so refreshing to see that some are willing to share their knowledge of how to redo or fix and mend the campers. It makes it so much easier to get the job
done if there are people willing to share knowledge and wisdom from practical experience. I thank you for your willingness to share all that you have learned without needing a profit for your advice. These days are not like it use to be when
people seemed to want to share and be "neighbors". It is sort of sad that this dog eat dog economic mentality will not take them very far.

I am sure there are some things that I will need to "hired out" like welding. I sure hope that will not be needed, but if it is.....opps.. It will just have to be done if needed. I hope to keep those things to a minimum....crosses fingers...I hope that those that are willing to answer some "how to" questions spend some time in that section too. I do believe in independent study and doing the best you can on your own, but I have a feeling there might be times when advice will be necessary.

Sounds like I had better start doing a lot more paintings to sell lol.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #25

Alabama
Abner or Alan,

I am looking forward to see your pictures and the camper. I thank you for letting me know that you have one for sale. I sent a private message...I hope it worked...to you on here...do hope you got it ...with my contact information.

The Scamps are so nice. I hope you live in this continent at least lol....but have need for camper and will drive to it!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to the group, sound like you are going to fit in just great .
If it interests you Elizabeth I have documented the complete build of my Boler. When I bought it originally it looked good, but...this may give you an idea of what may be hidden and the work I have done. Proud Canadian
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Nevil View Post
Opps....too late...

Not too late... Just send a PM to Donna D or Jim Bennett and they can edit out your personal info. They're both moderators and both posted in this thread.

EDIT- Donna D is not a moderator, per post #29. My mistake.

BTW- I have learned a ton on this forum, and the most important thing I learned is that I do not have the skills, time, or temperament for a rebuild (but I love looking at what others have done). I lucked into a 4-year-old, bare-bones, ready-to-camp Scamp 13 for $4K just before prices began to spike. My goal now is to learn enough to take care of her so she never needs a rebuild!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #28

Alabama
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the welcome and for the Boler restoration knowledge. I will be spending time on your link for your restoration knowledge. That will be a great guide to see what all I will be facing, and make decisions on things that may be too difficult for me to tackle alone.

It is so nice to see people who still like to share their knowledge and assist others
like you are doing with your tutorials. These days people willing to do those sorts of helpful things without charging an arm and a leg are rare. This new dog eat dog world
is a bit strange around the edges for me.

Thank you for the heads up on your information, and for being of a consciousness that inspired you to put all of your work and knowledge out o thye forum for anyone who might need it. Well done kindred person. Sharing knowledge and information is a great joy, as you well know, when it is done in the spirit of friendship and unity of all.