Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not too late... Just send a PM to Donna D or Jim Bennett and they can edit out your personal info. They're both moderators and both posted in this thread.
I'm not a moderator here any longer... like a number of years now. If anyone needs a moderator, check out the Super Moderators here: Fiberglass RV - Show Groups

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not a moderator here any longer... like a number of years now. If anyone needs a moderator, check out the Super Moderators here: Fiberglass RV - Show Groups

Sorry, Donna, my bad. I couldn't figure out how to pull up a list of moderators from the app, so I was relying on my (frequently faulty) memory.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #31

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
This is just an observation based on what I have read and what I have seen for sale....these fiberglass (EGG) molded travel trailers are grossly overpriced for what you get...both new and used...this compared to units from other makers.

My 26 foot fully optioned (full bath with shower, full kitchen with large Refrig/freezer, 3 burner gas cooktop, full feature microwave, double S/S sink.
The trailer has two dinettes that can convert to beds, a rear bedroom with queen sized bed and a bunk over if you need it. Two large wardrobes, many overhead cabinets, 13,500 BTU A/C, ducted forced hot air heat with thermostat, outside shower plus an outside 2 burner gas cooktop, awning and 30 gal fresh water tank, and two 30 gal waste tanks, twin 20 lb propane tanks and much more. It has a dry weight of 3,700 lbs. It has fiberglass sides and a membrane roof.
I found this unit used from a private seller, one owner, was almost never used therefore in "as-new condition". I paid his asking price of $5,000.....stumbled on another in similar condition after I bought this one for about the same money...it was 28 ft long with about the same equipment for $5,200.....How about a Class-A motor home, 32 ft long, 62,000 miles....needs some interior work to back bedroom...side windows leaked and destroyed two twin beds and wall area...454 V8 engine said to be in good working order...tires might need replacing...direct from owner in Vermont and now asking only $1,500. Again this one needs interior work but one bargain for a do-it-yourself type of buyer. Everywhere I travel I see used travel trailers for sale at very low prices....many in excellent condition.
After a full season of use I am very happy with my one owner unit costing $5,000. Again this unit is a big step up in creature comforts and space compared to the "EGG" type trailers I have inspected....to date only the larger Big Foot trailers have what I need to be a happy camper. Everyone has different needs and space requirements. We started small with a 15 ft travel trailer back in 1985....now even 26ft seems a little cramped for two....I'd love a bigger bathroom....most RV baths are too cramped.

The bargains are out there but not to be found in the molded fiberglass units, at least not any I have seen with matching features.
Expand your search and I know you will locate something under $2,000 if you focus on direct from the owner RV offerings. Try Craigslist and local/regional newspaper Ads.

Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #32

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
The bargains are out there but not to be found in the molded fiberglass units
And why do you think that is?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
This is just an observation based on what I have read and what I have seen for sale....these fiberglass (EGG) molded travel trailers are grossly overpriced for what you get...both new and used...this compared to units from other makers...

Objectively, the value of any piece of property is determined by what other people are willing to pay for it. The rising prices and quick sales of FGRVs are an indication that people are willing to pay more for them right now.

Subjectively, the value of a piece of property is determined by how well it serves the purpose(s) for which one acquires it. You value your RV because of its large size and many features. I value mine because of its simplicity and durability. I have a friend with a Class A motorhome, less than 10 years old. It is very comfortable. He also has to fix something pretty much every time he uses it. He is handy. I am not. He is retired. I am not. That's why I (subjectively) value simplicity and durability.

I do agree with your underlying point, though: it is never good to get so fixed on one type of RV that you fail to consider alternatives. I was looking for a tent trailer when I stumbled onto my Scamp.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #34

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I dont think if all you could afford to pay is $1,000 that in the long run you could not afford a $1,000 Egg due to the condition it would be in and what it would cost in labor and things it would need.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #35

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
My motto: Always buy the best and you will not be disappointed.
If however you cannot afford the best then get a second job and save your money until you can afford "The Best".

Why spend you free time repairing second best?

In today's society most can't wait to pay cash and want everything yesterday...most will have nothing when that retirement day comes except debt, having spent too much of their income on interest from loans that outlasted what they purchased in haste.

Happy Camping!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I dont think if all you could afford to pay is $1,000 that in the long run you could not afford a $1,000 Egg due to the condition it would be in and what it would cost in labor and things it would need.
Lightening does strike…
Scamp Makeover

If the OP keeps looking and saving, eventually her needs and budget will come together. A good farmer prepares the field and waits for rain.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
If however you cannot afford the best then get a second job and save your money until you can afford "The Best".

In today's society most can't wait to pay cash and want everything yesterday...most will have nothing when that retirement day comes except debt, having spent too much of their income on interest from loans that outlasted what they purchased in haste.

Happy Camping!!!
"Best" is pretty subjective. I agree that you should get a trailer in the best condition you can afford without going into debt. I suppose you could argue that buying a fixer-upper is a form of debt, since you're promising yourself you will spend time and money for repairs in the future. Some people do enjoy the fixing. It requires a realistic assessment of your available time and skills. A lot of sub-$1000 eggs are someone's abandoned project.

As to "outlasting," you've hit on a strong argument for molded fiberglass construction. Riveted aluminum (Airstream, etc.) is probably the only alternative that is comparable in longevity to molded fiberglass.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #38

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:

Happy Camping!!!
You sound a lot like my Father who frequently warned me against purchasing non necessities (Luxury items ) with borrowed money .
Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #39

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
Hi Uplander,

Thank you for your suggestions. It sounds like you got a great deal the first round, and an even better deal the next go round. I will keep my options open for sure in my
search. The camper you mentioned sounds very interesting.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #40

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
Thank you for your input Darwin. I will take your advice under advisement.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Why FGRV's Cost More

[QUOTE=Uplander;498282]This is just an observation based on what I have read and what I have seen for sale....these fiberglass (EGG) molded travel trailers are grossly overpriced for what you get...both new and used...this compared to units from other makers.

My 26 foot fully optioned (full bath with shower, full kitchen with large Refrig/freezer, 3 burner gas cooktop, full feature microwave, double S/S sink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
FGRV's are not overpriced, they are priced by the market place and what buyers will pay for something that they want. And, with a limited inventory, the prices will be higher.

My Hunter Compact-II is over 40 years old. Although there were a lot more sticky trailers built back then, I can't say that I see that many of them still on the road.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #42

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Great to see a good outcome