Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #43

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sorry, Donna, my bad. I couldn't figure out how to pull up a list of moderators from the app, so I was relying on my (frequently faulty) memory.
It's okay Jon, truly. I'm happy to help anyway I can, what I can't do is edit someone's post for them. That requires a moderator.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #44

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Vintage or new in a car or trailer "choice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
This is just an observation based on what I have read and what I have seen for sale....these fiberglass (EGG) molded travel trailers are grossly overpriced for what you get...both new and used...this compared to units from other makers.

It has a dry weight of 3,700 lbs. It has fiberglass sides and a membrane roof.

Good Luck!
For why think weight; 3700 dry weight is more than I can tow with my car. With water full both propane tanks full, some clothing bedding and empty black and grey water tanks we are over 1500 lbs. less. Have stove fridge shower in washroom, sleep 4 comfortable and 6 if two are children. Plus weight = more gas. Anyway it is a matter of preference and you have what is best for you. We all have our own preferences.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #45

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
This is just an observation based on what I have read and what I have seen for sale....these fiberglass (EGG) molded travel trailers are grossly overpriced for what you get...both new and used...this compared to units from other makers.

Good Luck!
One needs to look at the rate of return on the original investment before you can say something is in fact grossly over priced.

The reason the moulded fiberglass trailers are worth more used than other makes of trailers you are familiar with is that most are very likely to still be on the road 25 years from now..... how many of those 28' stick built trailers that you can buy for $5000 used do you think will still be on the road 20 years or even 10 or 5 years from now?

A traditional stick built trailer is often depreciated by insurance companies by 10% a year. The reason for that they have a very short life expectance - 10 years! Thats not the case with moulded fiberglass trailers. I have a 22 year old trailer in my driveway that I purchased when it was 15 years old and I paid the same as what was paid new for it (it had the original sales papers included) & most people who saw the trailer at the time thought I got i real good deal. Today I can get at least 15% more than what I paid for it even though its had a lot of use in the 7 years I have had it. How many owners of stick built trailers can say that?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #46

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
You can EDIT your own posts. Yo do NOT need a moderator!

Quote:
Not too late... Just send a PM to Donna D or Jim Bennett and they can edit out your personal info. They're both moderators and both posted in this thread.

EDIT- Donna D is not a moderator, per post #29. My mistake.

BTW- I have learned a ton on this forum, and the most important thing I learned is that I do not have the skills, time, or temperament for a rebuild (but I love looking at what others have done). I lucked into a 4-year-old, bare-bones, ready-to-camp Scamp 13 for $4K just before prices began to spike. My goal now is to learn enough to take care of her so she never needs a rebuild!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
You can EDIT your own posts. Yo do NOT need a moderator!

Yup! Unfortunately, by the time I suggested it to the OP, the time window had expired. You get several (?) hours to edit; after that, it does require a moderator.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #48

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I feel compelled to respond to the fiberglass-cult idea that only their product can stand the test of time. That is not the case. The trailer I own (mfg 2001) is constructed using a welded aluminum frame, a heavy steel frame, a sealed under carriage, fiberglass sides and a roof that with proper minimum maintenance will last forever. The same holds true for many of the better quality built aluminum sided travel trailers. I'm sure your molded fiberglass unit can also last forever but the hundreds of posts with pictures of fiberglass trailers that require a complete interior rebuild and all new appliances indicate to me they are no better than anything else you can find out there on the used and abused market.

A little history about travel trailer construction....back in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s many light weight trailers were framed in 2X3 and even 2X2 spruce or pine. They had little insulation and thin wall material, thin flooring material etc. all in the name of reducing weight. Even though these trailers were subject to working loose from bouncing down the road for decades there are still many still on the road because their owners took proper care of them. I still see a lot of SunLine Travel trailers built with 2X3 wood frames and super thin walls serving the owners that maintained them. There is now a trend to rebuild and remodel these old road warriors and owners meet at rallies similar to the fiberglass-cult owners....they all have two things in common...they love and care for their trailers and they all love camping and the great outdoors.

Don't be so quick to put down an entire class of travel trailers....today's makers are building units of high tech light weight materials that can withstand the test of time.
About 98% of all travel trailers are equipped with the same appliances, air-conditioners, water pumps and fixtures making them all essentially the same.
The differences are in the creature comforts designed to meet different tastes.
What I demand may be more or less than what you require to camp in comfort.

Having camped off and on since 1985 I still focus on one very important fact...without the wide range of RV camping units available to young and old alike.....many families would not be able to afford the broad range of travel and sightseeing that economical RV travel supplies.

Happy Camping!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #49

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And the new lite weight campers being made today that can be pulled by the less powerful vehicles. Glass that is in fiberglass is heavy and other types of construction enables larger units to be made with similuar weights.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #50

Oregon
Quote:
Yup! Unfortunately, by the time I suggested it to the OP, the time window had expired. You get several (?) hours to edit; after that, it does require a moderator.
Thanks Jon, I thought for sure I had been around long enough to know how this stuff works But then again, things have been know to change!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #51

Oregon
Uplander, I mean this sincerely and kindly.. truly, is why you have zero interest in owning an all molded towable (you call our trailers... cramped) why you're interested in hanging around this forum? I would think you'd prefer to hang out with like-minded owners and converse with individuals that own the same build type as yours.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #52

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Thank You Donna.... Personally I am offended by being referred to a a "Cult" member.
But, then again, a 2001 FGRV would be considered a newer model. Come back and see us when it is 40 Y.O. LOLOLOL
Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #53

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I agree. Once we all agree on everything, this will be a much better site.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #54

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
If Uplander thinks our EGGS are cramped Id be interested hearing what hed have to say about Teardrops. Then again maybe I dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I agree. Once we all agree on everything, this will be a much better site.
But then we wouldn't have as much fun.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #55

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I agree.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #56

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This conversation is beginning to remind me of a line from an Agatha Christie novel. Spinster detective Jane Marple, characterizing the indomitable Inspector Slack, remarks, "He's rather like the girl in the boot shop who wants to sell you black patent leather because she has them in your size and pays no attention to the fact that you asked for brown calf" (Christie, from Murder at the Vicarage).