Wanted $1,000 or so fiberglass camper - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #57

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmm... Isn't that sorta like most RV sales peeps that don't have FGRV's to sell????? LOL

Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #58

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Donna D., I read ALL the RV forms. I find each one interesting. I have never found that only communicating with "like-minded" individuals made any sense.
This site may elect to only welcome owners of molded fiberglass trailers. New comers to RV life may want to explore all that is out there and keep an open mind. I have viewed quite a few of the molded units (a friend had one that I thought was cramped). I find many of the Bigfoot models more to my taste.
Someone made a sly comment about what I might think of a "Teardrop" trailer.
I spent a few hours at a teardrop dealership last year....he also sold other travel trailers that were larger. If "Teardrop travel trailers" were found in the dictionary the diffinition would read..."very cramped...best towed with a motor scooter or motorcycle". .."excellent use of extremely limited space" There must be a market for them because they sell....different strokes for different folks....but...not my cup of tea. The open air kitchen would be very hard to deal with in a rain storm....another reason I skiped tenting and popups and went right to travel trailers when I started the RV lifestyle in 1985.

I learn something new and interesting every time I read posts to these RV sites.
Today I learned that not all are welcome on certain websites.
Direct TV is showing several RV programs on several channels...none only show molded fiberglass RVs.....you might want to avoid these shows....they do however promote the RV lifestyle for all.....not just the exclusive fiberglass group.

I will withhold my opinions and comments in the future.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #59

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I will withhold my opinions and comments in the future.
You don't need to do THAT. I was just asking. Over the years, I've found folks find their way here because they don't know about other forums. I mean, we are the biggest and the BEST.. right? I would just hope anyone that joins us, honors our build-type and the owners. PEACE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #60

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
You are SO right there Jon. Did not realize that. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yup! Unfortunately, by the time I suggested it to the OP, the time window had expired. You get several (?) hours to edit; after that, it does require a moderator.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
What would be nice is if the comments were responses to the OP request rather than straying way off topic.
Ian G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #62

Oregon
Oooops
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #63

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In the vein of the original posted topic.

Newer sticky construction still isn't all that great, either by design or manufacturing flaws.

Two years back we bought a new Dutchman built Coleman 17'er for a son-in-law (who needed sleeping for 7) and it came from the factory with three built in rain water leaks, one of which eventually required replacing the entire front tilt-out panel frame to stop same. Only took 4 returns to the dealer to get everything fixed, which was a 60 mile round trip each time.

And that is one of the reasons why FGRV's are so overpriced.... they are worth it!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #64

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
Hi Bob,

That experience with the sticky construction camper manufacturer sounds a bit draining in many ways. Thanks for sharing your "adventure" lol. It is good to know about problems that can happen with those types of campers, and with certain manufacturing standards, or lack of standards. It does not say much for the quality of the build nor of the quality of service you receive.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
For the most part...

Buy a 1990 $1000 stick built, if any exist, put 4 or $5000 into it, you end up with a trailer worth $1500.

Put the same into a 1990 $1000 FG egg, and you end up with a 5 or $6000 trailer.

One has all the amenities of home, is likely to weigh 5000 lbs and needs a V8 to pull. The other is fairly minimalist, weighs 2000 lbs and pulls with a Subaru, and looks mucho cool.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #66

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Sometimes I believe we forget that our fiberglass eggs are a niche market and that the majority of the trailer sales are the so called "STICKIES" Each style of trailer has their pros & cons . I have friends who drive small vehicles such as the
Mini Cooper and paid what I consider an exorbitant price for a motorized roller skate . I enjoy driving and towing with my full size pickup . Neither side of these arguments is inherently right . I own a fiberglass trailer but I gain no superiority by its ownership . IMHO
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #67

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Sometimes I believe we forget that our fiberglass eggs are a niche market and that the majority of the trailer sales are the so called "STICKIES" Each style of trailer has their pros & cons . I have friends who drive small vehicles such as the
Mini Cooper and paid what I consider an exorbitant price for a motorized roller skate . I enjoy driving and towing with my full size pickup . Neither side of these arguments is inherently right . I own a fiberglass trailer but I gain no superiority by its ownership . IMHO
well-said!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #68

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I own a fiberglass trailer but I gain no superiority by its ownership . IMHO
Of course not, but you do belong to a cult
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #69

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
lol Donna....good one
Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #70

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Re Donna's last message. Maybe not exactly a cult but some of the friendliest, most helpful, interesting people i have met so far in my travels with my fiberglass trailer...whether in a campground, a rally or a chance meeting. Excitement and enthusiasm from the fiberglass community seems to take over and add to the journey as many of us appreciate the journey as much as the destination. Thank goodness i travel in an all-molded towable and haave met some really remarkable people these past 4+years and close to 20,000 miles.