Wanted: 13'-15' Egg Camper, Lil Snoozy, Casita, or Parkline - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #29

Name: Gayle
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper #85
Midwest
Yes, my tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Highlander. It has a V-6 engine with the factory tow package for towing up to 5000 lbs. I have not had any problems with it. I feel almost no sway when towing, only in very windy conditions.

I do tow with a brake controller.

One more thing to keep in mind with an EggCamper...it is all electric...no propane. The lights and the fridge and the water pump will work off the battery when not plugged in to an electric outlet. To boondock you pretty much have to have a portable generator. That is not really an issue for me but it is for some.

Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #30

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
This is my Lil Snoozy we just got in April...
Nice photo album Carl !

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Nice photo album Carl !
Thanks, I like to try to be informative for lookers.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #32

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Hi LanNAnn and welcome to the forum.

I have an extensive build thread for our Off-Grid 2013 Parkliner for a look at an un-plugged customized version. Total new April 2013 price was exactly $16K, a bit over what you mentioned your range was but thought you might enjoy the look anyway.

I read through the thread and your answers of what you had in mind for camping and have some thoughts/questions.

First, did you mention that you intended to camp off-grid or plugged in? I know you mentioned the idea of a side mounted AC (Parkliners have a side mounted optional AC), so at least the need for shore power or generator to run the AC some of the time? In Texas i suppose there is a need for the AC to have a comfortable camp, here in the Pacific Northwest we have no need...so we could design a rig without AC and dry camp for days at a time with just the MaxxFan on the roof for a few minutes a day when we come back to camp in the afternoon.

I didn't read _how_ you camp? It seemed like something sort of in rebellion to all the bells and whistles and a big motorhome...but how simple? Our rig has no built in appliances. YET, we can cook, shower, go to the bathroom, etc... all inside the rig...

So you could ask your hubby just how far you want to get away... Are you happy hermits? (like my wife and i)... OR do you need to camp near others? Having a rig that will let you get to remote spots might take you on a different design path.

Just some food for thought as i ramble on my way through the forum!
Best wishes on your hunt for your adventure rig.

OH a total ramble; what branch of the military?
Both of our kids are in the US Air Force (daughter 26 Special Ops wing in California/son 24 Civil Engineer in Asia) and luving it. My wife and i live full time in a 38ft Mobile Suite 5th wheel...currently parked at an RV & Golf Resort. There are currently 3 couples that one of the spouses are active USCG. Each time they transfer to a new duty base, they just pull the slides in, unplug, and head down the road to a new RV park. Best part of it is the US Military is paying for their trailer payment and RV spot with the monthly living stipend. That is one cool way to get a trailer paid for! I'd get a 1 ton Van Conversion (instead of our 1/2 ton) and get the biggest (25ft bigfoot?) Fiberglass travel trailer and hit the road on my days off each week!
If the park has a nice club house (including laundry facilities) you don't need the monster of a home-on-wheels we have that includes the laundry room!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #33

Name: Ann
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Deryk, I really think we'd be happy with a Parkliner, Snoozy, Egg or Casita!! Yours sounds great! I just can't wrap my brain (or checkbook) around anything above $15k. If I could jump to $17.5, we'd own a NICE used one ASAP!! I am just crossing my fingers and praying the right fiberglass fun-dot finds us!!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #34

Name: Ann
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Accrete,

My husband has fallen in LOVE with your trailer! He LOVES all the modifications. He's the "Tim the Tool-man Taylor type" where if you can add more, he WILL. He made a manly noise when we looked at the pictures you have of your set-up! He also said that $16k for all that is absolutely ok...

In TX, if we don't have an AC, we don't camp! It is WAYYY too hot here to even THINK about being comfortable (at least for me). 115 degrees outside makes the inside like a little fiberglass oven!

Yes, our simplicity is a "rebellion" of sorts. My parents spent more time cramming stuff and cleaning our big trailer than enjoying it. His family always had issues with their big ole "luxury" gas guzzler. We didn't want that. I want to have somthing small, simple, and EASY. It's just the 2 humans and 1 canine, so we want to be able to keep it simple! Plus, we're not made of money, so gas efficiency is a concern. We like to camp near others, but the ability to be "off the grid" needs to be available. We drove the Pacific Coast Highway this past fall, and there were more than a few places that we would have loved to just pull off and stay the night (that had NO electricity). We're pretty flexible. We like being around others, but we're also totally happy being happy hermits!

He's in the Navy. Our first duty station was in Washington state and we fell in LOVE with the Pacific Northwest. We are counting down the days until we can get stationed back there. He's in TX for medical training, and then we're PRAYING we get sent back to "our" Pac-Northwest!!! I actually wouldn't mind living in a nice triple slide rig full time, and then just pull it all in and roll on wherever the Navy sends us. However, he's in a high demand field and is "highly deployable", so for a large part of the time, it would be just me and the pooch living the trailer park life. I'm not sure I can do it all. I think that's why I'm in awe of Ms. Gayle!

Now, if only we can find a nice, new/used rig so that we can jazz it up like y'all!!!

PS- As you can see, I can ramble too! I am LOVING this forum!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #35

Astoria Oregon
Registry
LanNAnn, glad you and your hubby enjoyed looking over our PL #35. Its been a fun adventure.

on "Trailer Park life"...Cari and i lived full time in a 32ft TT parked in the Sierra Nevada foothills and also east of Lake Tahoe before our two kids arrived. It was totally fun and we longed to get back to that lifestyle when the nest was empty. We took the kids to nearly every RV show since they were in strollers! Once it was empty we sold the farm and got some wheels under us.

Concerning off grid and Air Conditioner... I took this quote from the earthroamer.com website, it has an AC that runs for about 6 to 8 hours on the inverter via battery bank..

Quote:
Air Conditioner (In the EarthRoamer)

A 12,000 Btu Energy Star rated air conditioner removes humidity provides cooling to keep occupants comfortable in hot and humid weather. The air conditioner is mounted above the bank of drawers on the rear wall and features three cooling settings, three fan speeds plus auto-cool and sleep mode. It can be operated from a control panel mounted adjacent to the air conditioner or by a remote control.

The air conditioner is powered by 110 volts AC and can be run off of battery power through the inverter for a period of about 6–8 hours (12–16 hours with optional two extra batteries) before recharging is required by either idling the engine or plugging in.
Just some more ideas.

: ) Thom

Here's to home-duty-base in the PNW!

Tags
casita, egg camper, parkliner, scamp for sale