Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Smile Wanted: 13'-15' Egg Camper, Lil Snoozy, Casita, or Parkline

Hiya Fellow Fiberglassers!! My husband and I are FINALLY jumping in to the "trailer owning world", and we are wanting a 13-15 foot fiberglass trailer to be our first! Preferably a new model (2000 to present), minimal wear and tear, and it MUST have a potty... We'd like to stay under the $15k mark (closer to $7.5-10k), but if a real gem comes along, we can explore options! Thanks and happy trails!

And... we're in Texas but can travel to pick it up if it's an exceptional deal

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Texas
We've now decided that we'd even consider a 16 foot!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
You might want to share your details - how many camping, your expectations, your tow vehicle, and other specifics. A 13' foot camper tends to be very basic, where as a longer trailer starts getting into more plumbing - toilets, hot water heaters, showers, holding tanks, brakes as well as more weight.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Keep your eyes on Fiberglass-RV-4sale.com

Escape makes a 15' with a bathroom as well. They come up from time to time on the used market.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Texas
Specifics for Our Search (13'-16' fiberglass trailer)

Great advice, Tom! Thanks! I'm new to this whole forum/camping/fiberglass "thing". Ok, details are:
- 2 adults (and 1 spolied dog) will be camping in the future fiberglass rolling residence
- our towing vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Venza (but we may be switching to a Toyota Tacoma)
- we 100% want a fiberglass trailer, but we're not committed to one "brand"
- we're open to an egg camper, casita, parkliner, lil snoozy, scamp, and escape as long as
they are light weight (less than 3000lb lightly loaded)
- we plan to do quite a few weekend trips; and, since we're active duty military, we visit a variety of terrain (lakes, mountains, plains, beaches, etc...)
- optimally, we'd LOVE a side, 2-person dinette, forward table and chairs that we can leave made in to a bed, and a body-mounted AC unit (one mounted inside or on the back, just NOT on the roof)
- we MUST have a toilet (so I don't have to trapse to the campground bathroom in the middle of the night )

Really, we're VERY new to the trailer search. I grew up RV'ing, and we always had a 1 ton pick-up pulling a 33+ foot trailer with all the bells and whistles. My other half grew up doing summer trips in a HUGE luxury motorhome. That has lead us to want something more simple!

Thanks for any and ALL advice, help, info...

LanNAnn
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep your eyes on Fiberglass-RV-4sale.com

Escape makes a 15' with a bathroom as well. They come up from time to time on the used market.

Thanks Carol! We are going to look in to Escapes now as well! We have been searching ALL the sites (fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, fiberglassrv.com, rvtrader.com, ebay.com, etc...)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Do you need a shower? Would a porta potty suffice as a night time toilet? Do you plan to camp with electricity most of the time? What is the dog's name?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Illinois
Registry
Welcome. Be sure to search this forum. Any number of people have done the mods you are describing; you can do them too. We has a 13' Burro in which we turned the front bunk into a dinette with a simple TV tray, the tops of captain's chairs from Goodwill, and swivels purchased online. We then did something controversial for the AC. We punched a hole into the back wall, built a support on the bumper that went to a shelf that the AC rested on as it protruded out the back. We then cut up a Coleman cooler and attached it to the AC, so when traveling, it looked like an attached cooler. When parked, we removed the cooler, so the AC could drain as it needed to.

Several people opened up one of the front seats and built a cubby and door to hold the portapotty.

On the other hand, some of us decided after doing all that that we just wanted a bathroom and purchased a larger camper .

Good luck!

CindyL
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Texas
No, no shower needed... I've never been one for "trailer showering". It takes WAY too much coordination, and I have to focus what little coordination skill I DO have on things like walking and talking at the same time (joking)! It is my hope that we camp WITH electricity most of the time.

The spoiled dog's name is Sofie. She's a "mature" girl that is tired of overpaying hotel pet fees!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Texas
Oh! And, yes, a porta potty would suffice; however, in my dreams we have something a bit more permanent. I already have to deal with lots of "fluids" at work (work in an emergency room)), so I really don't want to have to deal with any (even my own) while I'm living the trailer park life!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanNAnn View Post
No, no shower needed... I've never been one for "trailer showering". It takes WAY too much coordination, and I have to focus what little coordination skill I DO have on things like walking and talking at the same time (joking)! It is my hope that we camp WITH electricity most of the time.

The spoiled dog's name is Sofie. She's a "mature" girl that is tired of overpaying hotel pet fees!
If you don't need a shower and can live with a porta potty, you may find a 13 footer acceptable. If you want a built in toilet, it will be a rare 13 footer that has one. Beyond that, it comes down to seller's location and a little luck, as these campers sell fast, especially in spring / summer.

A 15 -17 footer will give Sofie a little more room to lie on the floor without being underfoot. I'd shoot for one close to what you want and plan to make the smaller modifications, as opposed to waiting for the perfect trailer. I think that the perfect trailer is best ordered new.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #12

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanNAnn View Post
Oh! And, yes, a porta potty would suffice; however, in my dreams we have something a bit more permanent. I already have to deal with lots of "fluids" at work (work in an emergency room)), so I really don't want to have to deal with any (even my own) while I'm living the trailer park life!
Unfortunately, you either deal with it when dumping the porta potty or deal with it emptying the black water tank. I find a porta potty to be just fine, others don't.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
PS, the secret to searching here is to use the Google search box. You can do a search on topics concerning choosing a camper and will find many threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #14

Texas
Oh MY!!! That IS helpful!!!!!

Tags
casita, egg camper, parkliner, scamp for sale