Wanted 13 to 16 ft fiberglass trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Toad
Trailer: Casita 17
Texas
Red face Wanted 13 to 16 ft fiberglass trailer

Price range 8000 or under. Must have a wash closet with toilet. Working a/c and fridge. I am willing to look a unit that needs work but not a submarine with a screen door. I am located in Austin Texas and would like to do business within the state. I have seen all the scams so please don't waste my time. Thanks for your consideration.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
How's that go? "You'll draw more bees with honey"? <_<

Old 01-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Price range 8000 or under. Must have a wash closet with toilet. Working a/c and fridge. I am willing to look a unit that needs work but not a submarine with a screen door. I am located in Austin Texas and would like to do business within the state. I have seen all the scams so please don't waste my time. Thanks for your consideration.
Its funny how a voice in script can come off angry or happy depending how the person reads it. lol ( good call on the honey) please read it cheerfully and repeat after me , He`s not a curmudgeon, He`s not a Curmudgeon.......
Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #5

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Toad, what you are asking for is something that will be in great demand in the molded fiberglass world. These little lovelies usually go fast when they have all the amentities including a great price

You might want to check out this site also: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Good luck on your search.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You'll find we're a pretty friendly, helpful bunch around here. The members are protective and moderators keep an eye out. Anytime someone sees a scam, it's quickly brought to the attention of EVERYONE. We don't want members to be scammed either.

Best of luck in your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Just remember, you snooze, you loose. If you see something that looks promising, jump at it or someone else will buy it first. And don't be afraid to drive a bit for it. I speak from experience, because I was that person. I followed the link to ebay where our Howie the Uhaul was advertised with a "Buy It Now." We picked it up in Arkansas, but we live in IL. We never regretted our 10 minute decision and have taken our VT all over ever since then, after a bit of fix-up.

Welcome.

CindyL
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

Texas
Thanks all for the advise. Lol on the egg hunt. I am so looking forward to this little group and the advise on do`s and don'ts
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #9

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Toad,
Good luck with your search. I'm too far away and what I have doesn't meet your specs. I have a 98 16' Casita w/o bath. Ready to use but also can use some TLC. I purchased a 17' 98 Casita with bath, that can be used but should have some work done first. Wish I could have had one that fits. I am coming to the San Antonio area this spring.
Having the winter to think about what I have and need to do I have decided to sell both and buy a NEW Scamp 16'. I figure these two are worth nearly as much as I would spend on a new one. Also I decided I want one I can pull both with my mini van and pickup. The 17' is too heavy. The 16' scamp meets the specs of what I want and has a higher ceiling and being made in Minnesota I figure is better suited to this Northern climate. Not to mention the company is only about 5 hours away. I like Casita but just have to face reality. Will be asking under $8000 for sure for both. Under $6000 on the 16'.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I agree with the others that the perfect trailer at a good price takes a bit of work to find. Once I know exactly what size and make trailer I wanted I checked Craiglist every morning first thing. When I saw one that looked promising I called the seller on the phone right away and got more info and more photos if possible. Talking directly with the seller will always give you a better feel as to whether or not its as advertised or not or if its a possible scam. Funny enough I ended up making the purchasing commitment on mine over the phone and no photos! Talking with the elderly gentlemen that owned it (but didn't own a digital camera at the time) I took the gamble and jumped in the car the same day and drove from Vancouver BC to Ohio to get it. It was Easter and I had a nephew attending University in Ohio so I figured it it didn't work out I would at least get him out for an Easter dinner. Had to call the seller ever few hours just to be sure he know I really was coming with his asking price in hand and I would pay his full asking if it was as he discribed - was worried he would sell it before I got there. He actually told me that several people had tried to talk him into doing just that! I ended up taking he and his wife out for dinner as thanks for having not sold it out from under me. The trailer btw was even better than expected.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Scammers Here???? NOT

Quote:

As the title sez, this is an honest group from which I have never heard of any kind of a scam emminating. (sp?)

That said, you might be careful what you wish for. The 13' Scamp with bath is mighty small inside and not everyones cup of tea. As I have mentioned many times, we sold ours for that very reason, and replaced it with a 13' Lil' Bigfoot and luxurated in the additional space available.

As 16 footers can get a bit heavy, you might also mention what you plan on towing with for some input on that topic as well.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #12

Texas
My tow motor is a 2013 Tacoma 6cyl with tow package. So light is going to have to be order of the day. You guys are great with your input so please keep it coming. I am open to all brands and since I have been on this site I have learned a lot, I am humbled.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #13

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Good luck! I recommend you do some searching into how people have modified their campers. You might find that what you are looking for is described here in how people have added sweat-equity and built what they wanted and needed for their tow vehicle.

CindyL
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
My tow motor is a 2013 Tacoma 6cyl with tow package. So light is going to have to be order of the day. You guys are great with your input so please keep it coming. I am open to all brands and since I have been on this site I have learned a lot, I am humbled.
Toad there are lot of folks pulling with the Tacoma. You should be able to comfortable tow pretty well all the 17' and under fiberglass trailers out there. I know a few are pulling the 19' Escape with the Tacoma but they have mentioned that they do need to watch how much they load into it to avoid going over its weight/towing specs.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote