Wanted 13 to 16 ft max - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Samaria
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Wanted 13 to 16 ft max

We are looking for a trailer we can pull with our Outback. 13 ft is ideal. We are open to brands and have no specific preference. We have looked at the Scamp most closely but are not married to that brand. We are also quite handy and open to restoring something that is structurally sound but needs some love.

Edit - We are looking for a 13 foot only.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Samaria!

Just a heads up... Every Outback I have seen has a towing caveat in the owner’s manual limiting tongue weight to 200 pounds. A 13’ with a single LP tank will carry around 200 pounds on the tongue, so you’re good to go. However, a 16’ will carry around 300 pounds on the tongue, so no go. Trying to run a lower tongue weight on a 16’ trailer may cause stability (sway) issues. For stable towing with a travel trailer, tongue weight should be 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight.

Best wishes in your “egg” hunt!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Nevada
Thanks Jon. Good info! I guess we are just looking for a 13 footer! I'll edit my original post.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaria View Post
Thanks Jon. Good info! I guess we are just looking for a 13 footer! I'll edit my original post.
This is a common wrong assumption. You're looking for a trailer which fits best to your needs. The trailer is primary. Consider towing vehicle upgrade if it is not capable to tow the trailer you need.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Wanted 13 to 16 ft max

Ideally, yes. But a new vehicle is not always financially possible or even desirable. Nothing wrong with starting small and upgrading later if desired. If you buy used at a decent price, resale of molded fiberglass is such that you won’t lose much, if anything, when you sell. Certainly not like trading for a new vehicle!

A 13’ trailer is really small, no doubt about it. Big decision is bath or no bath. No bath gives more space and openness, but the bath allows you to camp more places. Full hot and cold plumbing adds some complexity to operation and maintenance. Try to get a look at both before you decide.

We love our 13’er. We bought it because at the time we had a van with a limited tow rating. We decided it would work for our family of four, thanks to the bunks in front. When it was time for a new vehicle, we chose one with a higher rating, both for better performance and so we could upgrade if and when we wanted. No immediate plans to do so, though. Our no-bath 13’er still meets our needs, since we camp at state and local campgrounds with facilities, and it's so simple to operate and maintain.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the world of 13 foot molded trailers, Scamps tend to be the most common.

Bathrooms use up space, which on a 13' trailer, is at a premium. It also adds weight. Many people prefer to keep a bed set up all the time. Taking the bed down every morning, and setting it back up every evening, is a bit of a PITA. 13 footers without a bath will have a second place where you can sit.

Molded trailers are measured from the end of the back bumper to the front of the hitch coupling. So a 13 foot trailer has a ~10 foot trailer box on it. Typically they are 6 to 6 1/2 feet wide. So you have 65 square feet in which to fit a bed, a closet, a small kitchen and a gaucho (typically). Adding a bathroom means deleting something else. Some people compromise by having a pull out porta-potty.

Older models tend to have no provisions for air conditioning. Newer models are often designed to handle the weight of roof A/C.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Name: shawn
Trailer: u haul
New Mexico
Hi Samaria,

We've just decided to sell our 13' U-haul CT-13... it's an 83 in very nice shape, but could always use personal touches, and little fixes here and there, but super functional... fantastic fan, gas stove works, new interior lights, 3" axle lift (but not shown in the picture), very clean... my wife and I just spent 3 weeks in it while the parents were here (New Mexico) for the holidays. If your interested I can always tell you more, here are some generic pics... were hoping to get in the neighborhood of 5k for it.
thanks -Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180731_203342328_LL.jpg   IMG_20180809_161913181.jpg  

IMG_20180809_161925642_HDR.jpg   IMG_20180731_203358105_LL.jpg  

Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrider View Post
Hi Samaria,

We've just decided to sell our 13' U-haul CT-13... it's an 83 in very nice shape, but could always use personal touches, and little fixes here and there, but super functional... fantastic fan, gas stove works, new interior lights, 3" axle lift (but not shown in the picture), very clean... my wife and I just spent 3 weeks in it while the parents were here (New Mexico) for the holidays. If your interested I can always tell you more, here are some generic pics... were hoping to get in the neighborhood of 5k for it.
thanks -Shawn
Hi Shawn - We are interested. I am new to the forum and don't really know how to use it. We would love to see any more pictures that you have. Also, do you know the weight and the axel weight? We are not planning on changing cars any time soon, so both are very important. Is there a website where I can get the specs for this model?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Samaria, the U-Haul CT was only built for a couple of years, back in the '80s. No manufacturer's website with specs. But you can look at the data of actual weighed trailers (including several CTs) on this thread: Trailer Weights in the Real World

Also, I will confess that I rented one of these in 1985 and my wife and 2 little kids and I towed it 2000 miles with a Dodge Omni 2.2L 4-cylinder with less than 100 HP. It had a tough time going much faster than 50 mph, but we still had a fun, memorable trip.

These U-Haul trailers were overbuilt and are plain-jane but very sturdy, because they were intended for rental use. But the concept didn't catch on at the time, so they were sold off.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Nevada
Hi Shawn,

We are interested. I sent you a PM. Let me know when you can chat.

Samaria
Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Vintage U Haul campers are very desirable and well built. Lots of information out there, there is a U Haul trailer group out on the web. This one looks nice and should not last very long.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Wanted 13 to 16 ft max

I agree. The U-Haul group Bill mentioned is on Facebook, by the way. U-Haul uses some proprietary parts that are no longer available. That can present difficulties when repair or replacement is needed. There's a lot of good information about how to deal with them (should it become necessary) in the Facebook group. It would not be a reason for me to pass on a good one.

Do check the condition of the floor carefully on this and any used trailer. Replacing a rotted subfloor is a fairly involved project. Note that this unit has the original icebox, not a fridge. I also see there is no water faucet at the sink, so It may not have an on-board water system (the original was a hand pump system from a small tank, I believe). That makes this unit very simple and easy to maintain, but living in it will be more like camping than an apartment on wheels.

One big issue for you is trailer brakes, which CT-13's did not have originally and something you definitely need with your smaller tow vehicle. The seller mentions a lifted axle, so it's possible it already has a new axle, hopefully with brakes. Make sure to ask. If not, figure around $1000 for a new axle installed with brakes and associated wiring.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Newfoundland
Hi ! Trailer looks fab. What’s dry weight? Location is in the USA I guess???

Trying to find something in eastern Canada . Not easy . My car is rated 2000 lbs only . Gavebisbed a 77 abd a 78 Boler. One was in car accident 7 years ago and latest one I sold last year because it has minor welding issue I couldn’t get welder to fix .
Gail
Old 02-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita 16' Spirit Standard
Texas
Wanted 13 to 16 ft Max

Please check with your Subaru dealer. When I spoke to them they cautioned me to use ONLY a Subaru hitch on the Outback. They said they had seen other hitches that required drilling and it had caused severe structural problems to the car!