Wanted: 16'-17' FG Camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Wanted: 16'-17' FG Camper

First preference would be Casita or Scamp, because I am fairly familiar with them. But I'm open minded.

This will be our last camper, so we want it to be a nice one. Willing to pay for good condition, and don't want a "fixer upper"!

Late models are preferred, but condition is the leading incentive. Bathroom is nice but not entirely necessary if the camper is in really good condition.

We live 25 miles south of Atlanta and willing to drive up to 500 miles to view a nice camper.

Thanks,
Kip
770-461-1851

Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Kip,You might want to check out LIL Snoozy.com I just ordered one and I think it has the most comfortable lay out of any 14' camper. They are built in St. Matthews SC Its is a new company and they are still prototyping but they have a couple there for you to see what it will be. They told me deliverys would begin in Feb. I have a little info on mine on Alan Smo's Lil Snoozy Camper in the trailer registry. They don't show pics on thier web site yet tho. Alan

Old 12-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Kip, a couple of websites to check out: This is an All Craigslist Lookup and this one is a site owned by one of FiberglassRV members: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Be sure to also check the For Sale forum and Referral forum here on FiberglassRV.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #4

Georgia
Interesting web site. HOWEVER!

Thanks,

Some Lil Snoozy pictures would be nice.

Kip
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Wow, thanks for mentioning this new trailer about to come onto the market. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. If the shape outline on their webpage is indicative of the trailer's eventual profile, this could be an exciting new design. It looks like it might be somewhat of a large teardrop shape. I hope to buy a trailer this spring so I'll be watching their progress closely.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #6

Georgia
Glad

Glad to see a FGRV being manufactured in the Southeast.
Truly hope they are thinking outside the box, with inovative designs and ideas.

Kip
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Kip, a couple of websites to check out: This is an All Craigslist Lookup and this one is a site owned by one of FiberglassRV members: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Be sure to also check the For Sale forum and Referral forum here on FiberglassRV.

Best of luck
Thank you Donna
Old 12-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #8

Georgia
Pictures ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan smo View Post
Kip,You might want to check out LIL Snoozy.com I just ordered one and I think it has the most comfortable lay out of any 14' camper. They are built in St. Matthews SC Its is a new company and they are still prototyping but they have a couple there for you to see what it will be. They told me deliverys would begin in Feb. I have a little info on mine on Alan Smo's Lil Snoozy Camper in the trailer registry. They don't show pics on thier web site yet tho. Alan
Alan,
Looks like you live in the town where the Lil Snoozys are built. Are you an employee? Can you get us some early pictures?

Thanks,
Kip
Old 12-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think the Lil Snoozy toy hauler concept sounds intriguing. Obviously not just for toys, but for those that need mobility devices for everyday living. Perhaps those will once again find a comfortable way to camp.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the Lil Snoozy toy hauler concept sounds intriguing. Obviously not just for toys, but for those that need mobility devices for everyday living. Perhaps those will once again find a comfortable way to camp.
Absolutely!

I am personally a bit excited about this company, due to them being within 4 +/- hours from my house.
Also interesting that they claim to have new ideas, which is a good thing.
Definitely good that they are using composits, which will keep the strength while bringing down weight.

Problem with the current crop of FGRVs is that the designs haven't really changed much, or at all, for decades. There are so many interiors that could be more functional, as well as exteriors.

How about something this simple: For a camper with a front bath, and a couple prefering seperate beds. Across the back of the camper have 2 bunks. One above the other. They could be 36" wide which is enough for most folks. Certainly more than the side dinette. Doesn't take up nearly as much room as a dinet that converts to a queen and being slept on by one person.

Here is another idea: Wheels tucked under a trailer are handled in 1 of 2 ways. They either encroach into the interior space, or the trailer sits above them, making the trailer much taller than it really should be.
Why not put the wheels outside the trailer like with cargo trailers.

Hartland Travel Trailers have a model called an "MPG". It incorporates both the above ideas in one of their floor plans.. Heartland Ultra Lightweights Trailers | Heartland RVs

Look at the MPG 182 and MPG 183 models. Not front baths, but you get the idea.

Problems are that it is a conventional built trailer and it doesn't have an awning option.

Kip
Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Interesting timing to your last post, Kip. I just went to an RV dealer and looked at the MPG. I like that it, while not FG, at least is made of materials that won't rot (aluminum frame, etc). I like the price, too... I could get one for under $11K right now from a place in Ohio, whereas a new, comparably equipped Scamp 16 or Casita 16/17 would be thousands more.

But after being inside them I felt like I could take 'em or leave 'em. The interior decor was nothing great, the aisle felt really narrow with the bathroom on the side (unless opting for a slideout model which adds maybe a foot and a half to that aisle), and they put a window on the end by the bed but not on the other end by the dinette. Hello Heartland, I want to look at the scenery while I eat, not while I sleep! The MPG did not have a closet made to hang up clothes, although the shelves in the one tall closet could be removed and a hanger rod added by an owner. On top of that, I've seen owners of MPG and R-Pod report only 11 or 12 mpg... they aren't as aerodynamic as they look.

By the way, despite the MPG's wheels being on the outside of the body, that trailer did not sit as low as a Scamp or Casita, even though the torsion arms cant upward (not downward like we are used to seeing).

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote