Wanted: 17ft Lite Trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 17 ft Bigfoot
Hi,

We're looking to buy a 17ft trailer, approx. 2000lbs. Ideally, it will have the following (although we will consider others):

3 way fridge/freezer
stove
oven
toilet
bed that sleeps 2 - that does not double as the dinette
awning
no leaks
frame in good shape

We are open to smaller trailers if the configuration works... please let us know if you have something that fits this description - we are willing to travel a bit to find the right trailer match!

Thx!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Then you're looking for a Casita LD, Scamp side-dinette, or an Escape 17, or older trailer of many different brands with owner mods to convert front gaucho to a dinette. You'll have a harder time finding one with an oven.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Our 17' Casita Liberty trailer weighs about 3300 when we are loaded and ready to travel. Our Liberty trailer has two dinettes both side by side so that it can be used as a king bed. You could leave the large dinette down as a bed in the back and leave the smaller table up to sit, but we find that's inconvenient. We use twin beds in the Liberty and that works great for us. During the day we use a stand alone table or a small table that we can leave up.

The 17' Casita Freedom and the 17' Casita Spirit have a large dinette in the back that can also be left as a bed all the time- you can sit at the side dinette with either of these trailers. I'm thinking that both of these trailers would also weigh about 3300 lbs, give or take, when traveling.

None of these Casita trailers come with an oven. A two burner stove, single sink, and refrigerator with freezer in the kitchen area.. another small sink in the bathroom and a toilet.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
We're looking to buy a 17ft trailer, approx. [b]2000lbs. Ideally, it will have the following (although we will consider others):

3 way fridge/freezer
stove
oven
toilet
awning
My 16' Fiber Stream's Dry weight was 2000 pounds... But to get those scale results I had to remove EVERYTHING I USUALLY CARRY PLUS the battery, both propane tanks, the spare tire, the microwave AND the Air Conditioner. As loaded for the road, my trailer weighs 3000 pounds.

The only molded fiberglass travel trailers that I have seen with a range that included an oven are:
  • Bigfoot
  • Fiber Stream
  • Amerigo
  • some Compact/Hunter trailers have them as an option
Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #5

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
I have a 17' EggCamper that weighed 1506 lb from the factory. It was purchased as a "kit" with no appliances, cabinet doors, toilet/shower (just an open space), water tanks, water heater, water pump, mattress, cushions, dinette table, sink or any of the interior plumbing/wiring. It was essentially a large volume of air surrounded by a fiberglass shell. It did have a group 24 battery in a box on the tongue (needed to operate the breakaway) but no propane tanks or tank mounting bracket. The EggCamper is double wall construction so the weight of single wall construction could be a bit less.

By my calculations the completed EggCamper weighs about 1,950 pounds empty (I haven't taken it to the scale yet). As I installed everything I did weight and balance calculations so I think the aforementioned estimate is pretty accurate. Of course you have to add the weight of all the supplies/water/bedding etc. you plan to take with you.

Bottom line - I don't think you are going to find a fully equipped 17' camper that weighs less than 2,000 lbs ready to hit the road.

Good luck in your search and let the forum know what you find.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
I have a 1988 casita liberty that weights 2065 dry wt. The trailer is in good shape Asking$ 5500 LOcated in 'Billing MT., If interested contact bob11105[at]gmail.com
Quote:
3 way fridge/freezer
stove
oven
toilet
awning
no leaks
frame in good shape

We are open to smaller trailers if the configuration works... please let us know if you have something that fits this description - we are willing to travel a bit to find the right trailer match!

Thx!