Wanted: A clean fiberclass camper near Birmingham with > 6'2" interior height - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #15

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
I will check out the Scamp 13'. Does anyone know the approximate pricing? I don't see it on their website without calling.

I started out just wanting something inexpensive but did some research on aluminum and fiberglass sided units and didn't want to deal with the water leaks and deterioration. I like Airstreams but whooo pricey.

So, here I am!

Deryk...like you I know a few things I want, like being able to stand up! I want to get something I can keep and enjoy for several years. My dogs and I are ready to upgrade from tent camping!

Base price is $14,900

If you scroll down a loooong ways on the price page the base price and option prices show up.

Good luck finding something as tall as you need......can't beat the fiber glass trailers for ease of living with......cool in the summer, easy to heat, don't usually leak, clean easily, light to tow......

It would be nice to see more styles out there like some of the old space aged "Jetson" trailers I have been drewling over for years......still love the 13' Buro

Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well a Scamp 13 with front bathroom and ac, heat, is like 13K I have the price list in front of me....debateing on ordering one just dread the ride from NJ to pick it up.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
I will check out the Scamp 13'. Does anyone know the approximate pricing? I don't see it on their website without calling.

I started out just wanting something inexpensive but did some research on aluminum and fiberglass sided units and didn't want to deal with the water leaks and deterioration. I like Airstreams but whooo pricey.

So, here I am!

Deryk...like you I know a few things I want, like being able to stand up! I want to get something I can keep and enjoy for several years. My dogs and I are ready to upgrade from tent camping!
I believe the pricing starts at around $8000 and goes up with options. I paid $9000 + $1500 shipping in 2005 for my 2006 prefire trailer with a lot of options. No bath, no Air Conditioner, no toilet. I got almost exactly what I wanted and have used it extensively. In fact we're off for about 3 months as of tomorrow morning. We'll probably tow between 5,000 and 6,000 miles this trip. with more planed for later in the year.
If you call them they'll send all the pricing information. Then can call back to get any more information to help you choose options. Extremely nice work with, at least it was that way for me.

As for options think about how you want to camp. Mostly in RV parks with hook-ups or more often without electricity and water connections.

Scamp will also work with you on options they don't list, example you can replace the carpet with vinyl flooring. Also ask for people in your area that are willing to show their trailer. Almost all Scamp owners are more than willing to show off their trailers.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
If you can find a used EggCamper, I believe the ceiling height is 6' 7". They are a bit wider as well, which allows for a longer bed. No more sleeping in the fetal position.

Ron
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
If you can find a used EggCamper, I believe the ceiling height is 6' 7".
Here's a brand new, never used... used... EggCamper that's for sale. Not near Birmingham however: 2011 Egg Camper Travel Trailer - $14,500 Lafayette, Indiana
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Thanks for that link to the Egg Camper! I just emailed and hope to hear back. I would drive 8 hours...I could camp on the way back!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
FYI, Mark:

You haven't said much about your camping style, but if it includes much off-grid camping:

Most Eggcampers are built entirely without propane systems and it's not real easy to retrofit. The same is true of the "Lil Snoozy". And one would have to carry a lot of generator in order to supply energy for anything more than lights/pump/, perhaps a compressor fridge.

Cooking and heating consume more power than even the vaunted Honda EU 2000 will readily supply.

Something to consider while shopping...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #22

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
FYI, Mark:

You haven't said much about your camping style, but if it includes much off-grid camping:

Most Eggcampers are built entirely without propane systems and it's not real easy to retrofit. The same is true of the "Lil Snoozy". And one would have to carry a lot of generator in order to supply energy for anything more than lights/pump/, perhaps a compressor fridge.

Cooking and heating consume more power than even the vaunted Honda EU 2000 will readily supply.

Something to consider while shopping...

Francesca

That is a good point. My camping style up to this point has been mostly tent, so I have not worried about electricity or propane. Having a hard roof would be an upgrade at this point but I can see down the road that having some of the nicer traits of the trailer available off the grid would improve my ability to use it in more locations. The trailer in question is indeed all electric...at this point I haven't heard back.

Everyone...I appreciate the helpful hints, tips and suggestions!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Mark, if you're interested in the EggCamper and having propane is a concern, you may want to read this post by Cathy: Buying an EggCamper, post 18
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For the most part, in the world of molded fiberglass trailers, 6'+ is called height impaired.... lololol. If you can handle the hitch & weight, I think that the larger BigFoot trailers are also a bit taller, esp the 5th wheel.....
+
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #25

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mark, if you're interested in the EggCamper and having propane is a concern, you may want to read this post by Cathy: Buying an EggCamper, post 18

Donna,

Thanks for the link. It looks like the kit is fairly reasonable though the appliances would add to the cost. It is still good to know there is a kit already available. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #26

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
For the most part, in the world of molded fiberglass trailers, 6'+ is called height impaired.... lololol. If you can handle the hitch & weight, I think that the larger BigFoot trailers are also a bit taller, esp the 5th wheel.....
+
The Bigfoots are my favorite (without having seen one), but their cost is the highest. I can tow about 6500 so I can get by with the 25' or smaller BF units. I am trading emails with a guy in TX about a 2005 model. Maybe something will pan out there.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im liking the ParkLiner... 1" taller inside then my last boat I lived on... 6'4" for my 5'10.5" height gives me stretching room!

deryk
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #28

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
I think I'm a bit confused......don't most eggs have propane stoves???

Mine sure does