Wanted: A clean fiberclass camper near Birmingham with > 6'2" interior height - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #71

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As others have indicated they are two *very* different trailers!

I can tell you that the Bigfoot is a nice trailer and has stood the test of time re quality but it is also a lot bigger and a lot heavier. They are a very popular choose here on the wet coast. A 21' on the Real World Weights listed here came in at 6360lbs total. In addition the Bigfoot is wider than most tugs so that will also result in a bit higher gas consumption on top of the extra weight. As far as inside space goes well as you can guess the Bigfoot wins hands down. As far as winter camping goes it will depend on where you plan to camp in the winter and the Bigfoot - some of them have a winter package option - which includes extra insulation etc.

On the other hand I have a 16' trailer and spend well over 120 days a year out in it and have had the good fortune to be able to do a number of trips in the past couple of years of a month & longer, some of them were doing the snow bird thing & involved a lot of miles. The little trailer was just fine for that. Even works out fine with two people and large labrador dog, although it feels a lot roomier with just one person in it. Due to its lighter weight I get good gas mileage towing it so a round trip of 6000 miles or more doesn't sting to badly. But now that I have done a few longer in length trips with it I now have my eye on a little bit bigger trailer for the day when I can spend more than a month camping in the south in winter. Bigfoot is one of two possible fiberglass trailer brands I will mostly likely move up to

As others have said which is the better trailer for you depends a great deal on how deep your pockets are in regards to gas funds and what style of camping you think you will be most comfortable doing.

That weights link was great. I am very surprised at the tongue weights of the Bigfoot!! I am not sure my hitch can handle that kind of weight. My max capacity is likely somewhere around 1,000 lbs with a WD hitch. All of that is a little odd since there is a series of posts on this site specific to Tundra/Bigfoot 21' towing....and all was stated it should be just fine.

I do have the towing package.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #72

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
That weights link was great. I am very surprised at the tongue weights of the Bigfoot!! .
The Trailer Weights in the Real World thread is a great resource and helped a lot of people determine what trailer they can tow with their vehicles and stay safe by staying within their tugs specs. Yes the real weights of most trailer is often a surprise to people.

Not sure if you have looked at an Escape 19' or a 17' B yet as an option. If your looking for a trailer with a bit more space both are worth looking at. As you can see from the weights thread they are a lot lighter than Bigfoots. They dont come up to often used but there is currently a 2011 in NV.

Have fun with your new trailer which ever brand you go with.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #73

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The Trailer Weights in the Real World thread is a great resource and helped a lot of people determine what trailer they can tow with their vehicles and stay safe by staying within their tugs specs. Yes the real weights of most trailer is often a surprise to people.

Not sure if you have looked at an Escape 19' or a 17' B yet as an option. If your looking for a trailer with a bit more space both are worth looking at. As you can see from the weights thread they are a lot lighter than Bigfoots. They dont come up to often used but there is currently a 2011 in NV.

Have fun with your new trailer which ever brand you go with.

Thanks!

I saw that Escape...it looks really nice! Like the one for sale in WA, it is a 30+ hour drive one-way. Sadly, just too far....

The Bigfoot may be off my list now. I need to do a little more research, but I am not interested in approaching the max capabilities of the vehicle.

I ruled out the EggCamper due to a lack of propane and the expense of converting the appliances to use propane.

That is leaving me with the Parkliner and an Escape.

I know on the Scamps and Casitas the bed length can be good, but I plan on having this thing for a long time and really do want to be able to stand up without scrapin the noggin.

Parkliner is too new to have many used, though there have been a couple here....and Escapes seem to be mostly out west.

Thanks for your thoughs and feedback!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #74

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Well, if you've definitely ruled out the Bigfoot, the Parkliner would be my choice of the remaining contenders, in large part because my preference looks-and-maintenance-wise is for molded fiberglass on the inside as well as the outside. I've only been inside a few fiberglass trailers with wood cabinets, but my impression in those cases was that they "felt" smaller than those of the same size but with molded cabinetry....I suppose due to light absorption by the wood.

Also:

I think you're about the same age as my son... he couldn't possibly get along without my advice on matters large and small. May I speak to you in the "Interfering Mother" mode he finds so helpful?

I believe you mentioned earlier that you and the dogs hope that one day there'll be a nice female companion to come along...I think the "cute factor" of the Parkliner should not be overlooked in the chick magnet department. And without sacrificing any of the necessarily manly attributes, either.

What could be better?

Yenta Francesca
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #75

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Just a note on the EggCamper - Jim will build them with propane, but doesn't like to. The reason he gave me, when I was asking for a propane model, was the quality of the appliances. He was not happy with products available (and presumably had warranty issues).

I would want propane mainly for heat, both furnace and hot water, when not hooked up. The compressor fridge will run for a couple days just on the battery. And from what I have heard of the 3 way fridges, I like the 12v only model better.

I have a Champion 2000watt inverter generator that is as quite as Honda and is rated surge to 3000watt (I need to double check that). It will run the a/c w/o problem, microwave or heater one at a time, and start either one from idle. BTW it has an ECO switch so the generator varies speed by load and will idle down with the a/c running.

I like the idea of cooking outside. My wife reminds of the mess I invariably make every time I cook. So the tight quarters of most eggs I can see the likely hood of her complaining about the bed sheets having food splatter on them. So long as I can make coffee and warm something like a Jimmy Dean biscuit in the microwave, I think I could handle cooking the rest outside.

One last thing then I'll shut up. My VW Golf tugs around my EggCamper pretty well. And I think there is a member down here in Florida with a Tundra pulling a EggCamper. I think EggCamper is one of the lighter eggs for its size.

Jason
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #76

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Well, if you've definitely ruled out the Bigfoot, the Parkliner would be my choice of the remaining contenders, in large part because my preference looks-and-maintenance-wise is for molded fiberglass on the inside as well as the outside. I've only been inside a few fiberglass trailers with wood cabinets, but my impression in those cases was that they "felt" smaller than those of the same size but with molded cabinetry....I suppose due to light absorption by the wood.

Also:

I think you're about the same age as my son... he couldn't possibly get along without my advice on matters large and small. May I speak to you in the "Interfering Mother" mode he finds so helpful?

I believe you mentioned earlier that you and the dogs hope that one day there'll be a nice female companion to come along...I think the "cute factor" of the Parkliner should not be overlooked in the chick magnet department. And without sacrificing any of the necessarily manly attributes, either.

What could be better?

Yenta Francesca
I admit, I never considered the "chick magnet" factor in any of these campers....primarily because there are rarely any single women camping AND it seems kinda creepy to say "hey baby, wanna see my camper?" Maybe I have been approaching it all wrong!

Thanks for the vote!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #77

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Just a note on the EggCamper - Jim will build them with propane, but doesn't like to. The reason he gave me, when I was asking for a propane model, was the quality of the appliances. He was not happy with products available (and presumably had warranty issues).

I would want propane mainly for heat, both furnace and hot water, when not hooked up. The compressor fridge will run for a couple days just on the battery. And from what I have heard of the 3 way fridges, I like the 12v only model better.

I have a Champion 2000watt inverter generator that is as quite as Honda and is rated surge to 3000watt (I need to double check that). It will run the a/c w/o problem, microwave or heater one at a time, and start either one from idle. BTW it has an ECO switch so the generator varies speed by load and will idle down with the a/c running.

I like the idea of cooking outside. My wife reminds of the mess I invariably make every time I cook. So the tight quarters of most eggs I can see the likely hood of her complaining about the bed sheets having food splatter on them. So long as I can make coffee and warm something like a Jimmy Dean biscuit in the microwave, I think I could handle cooking the rest outside.

One last thing then I'll shut up. My VW Golf tugs around my EggCamper pretty well. And I think there is a member down here in Florida with a Tundra pulling a EggCamper. I think EggCamper is one of the lighter eggs for its size.

Jason

I love the EggCamper for it's size. I sent an email to them and I did get response but they didn't answer my questions (one was about that exact thing, propane). I had also read in other places in this forum that he did not like to build them.

Kudos for you for doing the cooking!

Thanks for your input. I wil revisit the EggCamper. A good deal on one just sold on the "other" fiberglass rv site.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #78

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I wish the Egg had a rear window. I like to look all the way through when I'm towing.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #79

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
[QUOTEI like the idea of cooking outside. My wife reminds of the mess I invariably make every time I cook. So the tight quarters of most eggs I can see the likely hood of her complaining about the bed sheets having food splatter on them.][/QUOTE]

Why you never hear "Would you care for breakfast on bed, dear?"

jack
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #80

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I dont like the egg, too sterile looking inside for me and needs a door on the bathroom imho
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #81

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Generator

• <LI jQuery1358627707943="1411">Delivers consistent power flow to accommodate sensitive electronics <LI jQuery1358627707943="1412">Eco mode conserves fuel on reduced loads <LI jQuery1358627707943="1413">Runs 19 hours at 25% load
    • Connect with another identical unit to double output
True sine-wave technology delivers pure, smooth waveform power for peak performance from all your electronics. Rated for 1,600 watts with a maximum load of 2,000 watts. Eco mode idles to conserve fuel on reduced loads. Stackable frame and parallel connector doubles power output when linked with an identical Champion 2,000-watt Inverter. Includes a single 14-amp, 120-volt duplex. Overload protection and low-oil shut-off. 53 dBA at 1/4 load. Runs 19 hours at 25% load from EPA-, CARB- and CSA-certified 3.4-gallon fuel tank.
Dimensions: 19.3"H x 13.2"W x 16.3"D.
Weight: 48 lbs.
Available:
  • <LI jQuery1358627707943="1424">2,000-WaH Inverter Generator
  • Parallel Cable Kit - connector includes one L5-30 and one 30-amp RV receptacle.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #82

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Interesting...same power output as the Honda!

I love the noise rating "at quarter load"...
I s'pose at "half load" it can make the same "just like normal conversation" claim that Honda makes, wink, wink...( they measure that at 22 feet farther away than the 3 feet "conversation" is measured at )

How much?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #83

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Going back a few posts: There are any number of single ladies out there camping. If fact ,there are several on-line groups for them. Their weapons of choice seem to lean towards Toyota motorhomes, class "B" van conversions and smaller trailers.

As she was well ahead of her time in many areas, my Grandmother (1898-1991) spent a year on the road with a then new, 1958 Studebaker Stationwagon and a 15' fiberboard trailer, and had a lot of stories when she got back, not to mention more than a few s.o.'s. that followed her home. Her most memorable quote from the trip: "Every town is famous for something, just stop and ask". She often did and gained a lot of friends as well as places to stay and a lot of free dinners. But those were different times I suppose......
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #84

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Going back a few posts: There are any number of single ladies out there camping. If fact ,there are several on-line groups for them.
Actually you would be surprised as to how many there are on this forum alone - of all ages. Very common for single ladies of various ages to attend Fiberglass trailer meets or at least here on the West Coast it is.

Also attend a Vintage Trailer rally and you will meet single ladies pulling trailers of all sizes & types. Or you could check out the Glamping website to see where a great many of them will be camping on International Glamping week-end in June or check out the Glamping groups on Facebook - yes there are some guys on those groups as well - butttttt that might be a little to much like stalking

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote