Wanted: A clean fiberclass camper near Birmingham with > 6'2" interior height - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #85

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hoo boy... Has my Interfering Motherness gotten me into trouble again?

I didn't mean that Mark implied that "trolling for chicks" was any part of his considerations- or that it should be!
For "trolling" he'd need a boat, right?

I only meant that if/when he meets a nice girl in his normal life, she'll naturally have the same interests that he does, and (purely from my Feminine Perspective) she's going to LOVE the Parkliner.

Sorry if I started something, Mark... I'll lay off you now and go back to Putting My Oar In all my own relatives' business.

Yenta Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #86

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Not the same info i thought it came packed with, but may be confusing it with another model. But for the $489 I paid for it I'm not complaining too much. I got mine at Costco - only has company initials and its red. Found the same unit at Sam's with the full name on it and its yellow. Oh, and it will vary the engine speed other than idle or full throttle.

You are right, they are very sterile and bland. The one thing Jim doesn't do it very well is decorate. It's more of a blank slate for you to add your own style to.

I guess what it comes down to is what you plan to do with it. All of the trailers that have been suggested have their own strengths and you need to pick the strengths that matter most to you. Trade off on size, amenities, weight.

Good luck on your search,

Jason.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #87

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 19 w gaucho bed
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
Thanks!

I saw that Escape...it looks really nice! Like the one for sale in WA, it is a 30+ hour drive one-way. Sadly, just too far....

Parkliner is too new to have many used, though there have been a couple here....and Escapes seem to be mostly out west.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!
A 30+ hour drive is well worth it if you get the trailer you want. Did you see my ad in the For Sale section of this forum? It's a great trailer and would be big enough for you. Hope you do find what you are looking for. This is a great place to look for a trailer.
Cathy Gale
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #88

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Let's see, a one way 30 hour drive is about 1800+ miles and at least 3.5 days of travel. That round trip works out to about 250 gallons of gas, more than a few nights in motels along the way, a week of time & lots of meals and any unexpected repairs that might be needed along the way. In my book that's adding about $2000 to the purchase price. I'd keep looking, there are more out there and they will be coming onto the market as the ice melts.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #89

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I think whether its worth it or not depends on how hard you have set your heart on a specific brand and layout of trailer. For some of us up north the odds of a nice used Scamp or Casita showing up on the market close to us is not something thats going to happen - unless you are willing to wait a *long* time. Admit though that this has been unusual year for used Casita's as we have actually had 2 used ones appear for sale in BC this year - I think we had one Scamp as well. I had to do the 4 day trip thing to pick mine up sight unseen and I felt really happy that I only had to do that short a trip. I know a lot of others who have done the same but *way* further - even know someone who went to Southern Calf to pick up a nice used trailer that was originally built in BC. Go figure! The same goes for folks living on the East coast of the US or Canada, looking for a used Escape or Bigfoot for example - they need to be very patient! ;-)

Being in California is a bit of a game changer, as all the brands of eggs seem to decide to migrate to warmer climates (cant say I blame them!) sooner or later making all the brands a bit more common in Calf, Arizona or Texas resulting in a shorter pick up drive for the lucky ones living in Calf.

There are companies that will look after transporting a trailer to you which in some situations may be the more economical way to go if as you say the cost of gas and motels and no time off are of concern. There are several people from the Northern East Coast on this forum who have purchased trailers out of the North West who have used those transport services. But if you have the time that first long trip home with the new trailer could be one of your most memorable trips. I know it was for me. Just consider it my first adventure with the new to me trailer. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #90

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
But he is in the warmer climate area lol. Living in NJ I knew I would probably be doin some serious driving to find an egg, I got lucky Harry wasn'tthat far away (distance wise...time wise goin down there was an accident on the NJ turnpike I traveled 3 miles in 3 hours lol). I was contimplateing buying a brand new Scamp 13 and it came up as being 24 hours away which meant Im takeing off at least 3 days from work to get it. Haveing a limited number of days off and not wanting to use them just driveing to pick up and return home with a trailerIm real happy the way things worked out.

deryk

btw, my little red homebuilt gypsy caravan sold, then new owner is somig to collect it on 2/16 so I get to bring my ParkLiner home to my parents house!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #91

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I forgot to add to my post #88:

And, when you get to the trailer you traveled 1800 miles to find, there is always the chance that it is a POC, ask many who have been there & done that.....

I too have traveled up to 1500 miles to pick up an RV, it can be a real crapshoot and the reasons for that "most memorable" trip home may not be ones you want to relive.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #92

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Another option for long distance transactions I haven't seen discussed is shipping the newly purchased trailer. I understand the new (to me) trillium 4500 I just bought was shipped from the east coast to the west coast. I have also heard of cars shipped cross country rather than driving them. Don't know what it would cost but a week going cross country and the associated gas, food and lodging would really add up. Might be an option if the unit you want is too far away to drive.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #93

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
But he is in the warmer climate area lol.
well I know our tourism folks would love for you to think that coming to Canada you are going to see nothing but polars and great ice fields & we all wear toques most of the year & cross country ski to work. Sadly the vast majority of the population of BC has never seen a polar bear or an ice field and fewer still actually own a snow blower. More often than not for many living in the lower portion of the province (were the vast majority do live) they need to go to a ski hill to actually see snow in the winter.

Current temp Vancouver BC 6c/44.6F low tonight 2c/35.6F 14 day trend pretty well the same plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees.

Current temp in Birmingham, NJ -4c/24.8F low tonight -12c/10.4F with temps moving up and down a lot for the next 14 days.

Warmer climate is as you can see a relative term!

Edit: OK so I got thrown off by the NJ reference - see the OP is actually in Birmingham Alabama - LOL now that is a warmer climate!!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #94

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
the reasons for that "most memorable" trip home may not be ones you want to relive.
LOL True enough Bob! thus the reason to *really* do your homework first and better still have someone in the area check it out for you before you start the drive are a really good idea.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #95

Registry
I think that the O.P. in this case wants to use his own eyes if looking at used trailers- hence the "Birmingham area" in the threadtitle.

Francesca
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #96

British Columbia
Registry
Hummm I guess I and several others apparently missed the memo that we were to refrain from putting forward any ideas or suggests to the OP if it doesn't fit into the specific parameters of their thread title. Not a bad idea though, would sure help in cutting down the posts to the forum and make the moderators jobs simpler. ;-)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #97

Registry
Heavens to Murgatroyd, suggest away!

But once the O.P. additionally responds that a trailer's too far away, why persist?

Francesca
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #98

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I can appreciate Birmingham's dilemma. We too are looking and my DH is 6'2". We live in VA and there don't seem to be too many FG's out this way. We were fortunate to hook up with Eddie, who lives near, and he had some Scamps and a Casita we could look at (most in stages of reno).
Birmingham1 are you still looking? There's a Boler in Hattiesburg.