Wanted Compact Jr in La Crosse, WI - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: currently without
Wisconsin
Wanted Compact Jr in La Crosse, WI

Hello!

New to the forum but have been long searching for my first Fiberglass RV. So far I really like the Compact Juniors, mainly for their HUGE bed as I'm over 6' tall. Though I'm certainly not dead set on his brand. Having some trouble finding a good starter unit in my area...any leads would be great! Thank you,

Doug, La Crosse, WI

Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Doug,

I can certainly understand your liking the Compact Jr., as I am quite fond of them myself. However, although they have a wide bed (70"), they also have one of the shorter beds in any fiberglass trailer, at 72". In comparison, a standard house bed is 75" long, and a queen is 80" long. Of course I suppose you could sleep diagonally in the Compact bed since it is fairly wide.

In contrast, a Boler/clone will have a bed of about 76" long (albeit not as wide). I think the Trillium's bed is a bit longer, at about 78" or so. Not sure about Burro/clones, although I suspect that they are somewhere in the 76" range (presuming you are talking about 13-footers).

Burro also makes some wide-bodies campers, but they a bit rare in the shorter camper sizes.

Another nice thing about the Trillium for you would be that they are a shade higher then, say, a Boler clone. I can't remember exactly how tall they are inside, but it's a couple of inches taller than a Boler type 13-er.

There is a thread specifically about bed sizes, and another about trailer inside heights. At any rate, I just wanted to let you know about the relatively short bed in the Compact Jr.

Happy shopping

Raya

Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Doug,

I can certainly understand your liking the Compact Jr., as I am quite fond of them myself. However, although they have a wide bed (70"), they also have one of the shorter beds in any fiberglass trailer, at 72". In comparison, a standard house bed is 75" long, and a queen is 80" long. Of course I suppose you could sleep diagonally in the Compact bed since it is fairly wide.

In contrast, a Boler/clone will have a bed of about 76" long (albeit not as wide). I think the Trillium's bed is a bit longer, at about 78" or so. Not sure about Burro/clones, although I suspect that they are somewhere in the 76" range (presuming you are talking about 13-footers).

Burro also makes some wide-bodies campers, but they a bit rare in the shorter camper sizes.

Another nice thing about the Trillium for you would be that they are a shade higher then, say, a Boler clone. I can't remember exactly how tall they are inside, but it's a couple of inches taller than a Boler type 13-er.

There is a thread specifically about bed sizes, and another about trailer inside heights. At any rate, I just wanted to let you know about the relatively short bed in the Compact Jr.

Happy shopping

Raya
Thanks Raya, I hadn't even thought about the differences, I wish that I would have known about the Stoddard, WI rally...It's only 15 minutes from my house! Would have been a great way to see a variety of trailer in person...Your info will be very helpful!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

A rally would be a great place to see more trailers

In the meantime, here are a couple of threads you might find helpful:

Inside Height by Trailer Brand/Model and Year

Bed sizes
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Thanks again Raya! I appreciate the help, I so wish that I had found this site just a couple of months earlier. I would have for sure been at the local rally, I'd imagine I'd have found some great leads from some great folks!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
There is one for sale on ebay right now, but I do not know where it is located.

CindyL
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

Hi Cindy,

I've been keeping an eye out, since I've been looking for a Compact Jr. (which is not why I was saying the bed was shortish, Doug, promise!).

This one is on Long Island, which wouldn't be too far for me, but I can see it's going to end up out of my price range (I'm probably looking for a fixer upper). It's in the $2500 range now with over 5 days to go.

This cracked me up though:

This auction is for a very rare fiberglass Compact Jr. camper that is super light at only 500 pounds and can be towed by just about any vehicle. We used to tow it EASILY with our 1967 VW beetle and it is like there is nothing behind you.

Down to 500# now. What next.... 325#? And then.... "Easily liftable with one finger"

Also, it says fiberglass campers never have mold problems (Did you get that, Roy?), aaaand...

These campers are few and far between, so I am fairly certain that you may never see another one of these...

Raya

Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #8

Illinois
Registry
I saw that last line too. I did not read the description in detail. I found it interesting that it showed up when I was searching Uhaul. The seller's name is vwkurt or something like that, so he is a vw guy. Maybe he does not get beyond vws. I have seen only one fiberglass trailer at the vw shows I go to, a boler. That owner was unaware of other trailers and uninterested in pursuing the topic of trailers.

CindyL
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #9

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post

Also, it says fiberglass campers never have mold problems (Did you get that, Roy?),
Interesting fiction read Raya.
Is this the one 220695647511 ?

Have I not seen this elsewhere recently? Or is it in the sold listings on Gregs site?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
We looked for a long time at used Scamps in your area (Decorah, IA) but everything was on the West or East coast or Texas and they were of questionable shape. We finally ordered new on both our 13' and 19' 5th wheel. I sold our 3 year old 13' for almost what we paid for it.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Still looking! Anyone have any information on the Play-Pac Hitch Huts? Found one of these though it may be a bit to far away...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #12

Illinois
Registry
I hope that this may not sound snotty, but many of us here have driven long distances to get the trailers we own; we drove from Chicago to southern Arkansas. That is the way with these campers, especially if you have your heart set on a certain kind. They pay for themselves anyway.
If you are looking at the one just discussed on another forum here, it looks worth driving for.

CindyL
Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
We just saw a 16' Deluxe 1976 Scamp for $7000 in the Sunday Cedar Rapids Gazette. Unfortunately, we recycled the paper last night but you may be able to get it off the Gazette's online paper. Cedar Rapids would be about 3 hours away.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #14

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
We drove from Omaha, NE to Show Low, Arizona! Just think of it as a fun road trip!!!