Wanted Dead or alive ! Max 16ft trailer. - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Wanted Dead or alive ! Max 16ft trailer.

Hello, we are Ashley and Dave from Lakefield Ontario, looking to buy a lightweight fiberglass trailer which is under 16ft. We have a small SUV so we are limited in trailer weight capacity.

We are a retired couple, so traveling to different parts of Canada or USA is absolutely no problem. But we have done our home work for SERVICE ONTARIO if we do purchase our trailer in America, we would need a US title or registration, empty weight SUP.

If you have a trailer and can wait a couple of days for us to drive to your location we would love to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my advertisement, happy camping !

Old 02-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

Name: Avey
Trailer: 21' BigFoot, 17 wide body Burro
California
Hi Ashley & Dave
We have a 17ft. wide body 1999 Burro in So. California for sale for $12,500.00. If you would like pictures and information you can email us zacatavey@icloud.com

Old 02-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Escape
New Brunswick
I have an Escape 17b for sale in New Brunswick. Weight is well under 2500lbs.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Ontario
Thank you for your reply David, but the trailer you have for sale is to big for us in weight and in size.

Thank you again, Ashley.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Escape
New Brunswick
Aliner Ascape

Ashley, are you considering a new travel trailer? You might be interested in this article from "The Small Trailer Enthusiast" web site.

2018 Aliner Ascape: Firsthand Report | The Small Trailer Enthusiast

Good luck
Old 02-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Ontario
Thank you David.

I've not seen these little trailers before, very cute.

I'm looking for some thing, a little more retro as I will be pulling it with my 1959 landrover 11A.

Thanks Ashley.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you want small, cute, retro... and all molded, check out http://www.relictrailers.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	127998
Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #8

Ontario
OH MY JON ! My heart be still ........

They are beautiful ! But sadly with our crazy exchange rate here in Canada I would have to add another 36% plus pay duty 6% and finally our lovely HST tax 13% .

I only wish my $$$ pockets were deeper.

But thank you much for the information.

Ashley
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The smaller, older, retro looking FG trailers tend to not have AC or a toilet. A smaller Boler or Trillium look very retro, and tend to be more available in Canada than the US. And as you have noted, the exchange rate is awful!

The Trillium is square-ish while the Boler is more egg shaped. So depending on the shape of your tow vehicle, one will be a better match than the other. When I think of a vintage Land Rover I am thinking square-ish.

Regardless of location and country, vintage FG trailers are relatively scarce and typically on the expensive side. On the other hand they hold their value extremely well.

There were several competitors to Boler and Trillium. For example, a Surfside trailer looks just like a Trillium from the outside.

Fiberglass RV 4 sale website is a great place to start. Not only can you see units for sale, you can also see units that have sold.

As far as dead or alive, “dead” FG trailers tend to need a lot of work: axles, frames, rotted floors, those are the common issues for more serious projects. FG trailers with wood interiors can have rot in the walls and ceiling too. Leaking windows are the norm,. It’s the water from those leaks that cause problems.

Don’t expect sellers to know the actual weight of their trailers either. It’s an added step that people don’t do. Weights in the real world is your best guide.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #10

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Here's the link Bill is talking about. Actual weights from people's trailers that they weighed. Most people will quote you the weight from the sticker on their trailer, which is rarely accurate. The list could really use more variety, but it's a great way to get a sense of real trailer weights.

And this is the classified site. It's where I got my trailer and is a really great place to search. You can search in the US or Canada.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The smaller, older, retro looking FG trailers tend to not have AC or a toilet. A smaller Boler or Trillium look very retro, and tend to be more available in Canada than the US. And as you have noted, the exchange rate is awful!

The Trillium is square-ish while the Boler is more egg shaped. So depending on the shape of your tow vehicle, one will be a better match than the other. When I think of a vintage Land Rover I am thinking square-ish.

Regardless of location and country, vintage FG trailers are relatively scarce and typically on the expensive side. On the other hand they hold their value extremely well.

There were several competitors to Boler and Trillium. For example, a Surfside trailer looks just like a Trillium from the outside.

Fiberglass RV 4 sale website is a great place to start. Not only can you see units for sale, you can also see units that have sold.

As far as dead or alive, “dead” FG trailers tend to need a lot of work: axles, frames, rotted floors, those are the common issues for more serious projects. FG trailers with wood interiors can have rot in the walls and ceiling too. Leaking windows are the norm,. It’s the water from those leaks that cause problems.

Don’t expect sellers to know the actual weight of their trailers either. It’s an added step that people don’t do. Weights in the real world is your best guide.
Thank you Thrifty Bill for all the great information. Your right the Land Rover is more square-ish in shape.

It's wonderful that everyone on these forums are willing to share a wealth of information on types of trailers, restoration and pitfalls.

But to be honest I would be thrilled with anyone of the small FG trailers.

If you ever see a small FG trailer on your travels please let me know.

Thank you Ashley.