Wanted: fiberglass trailer that sleeps 6 adults - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Smile Bigfoot Silver Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You might check to see if this is still available. Don't know if it has a separate bedroom or not, but it sure is coool! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud | Salmon Arm, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Thank you Donna D for the tip. I had somehow assumed that this one was sold already.

I LOVE the concept of the Bigfoot Silver Cloud. It is a mainstream competitor to the stickies and is all molded glass - hence, it will not fall apart in a couple of years like the stickies seem to do as their siding works loose. Makes me wonder why F/G manufacturers didn't go for more models that compete in the mainstream, instead of just chasing the niche market for 13 foot to 17 foot ones (with the occasional Bigfoot 19).

However, I can't help thinking a 28 footer is just a tad too big for me

My main use is to go to the hotrod shows that are all-weekend events, with the trailer hitched to my '57 Chev hardtop, as well as to major automotive swap meets (for those, I tow my Boler with my one-ton P/U so I have room to bring stuff back). My ideal would be a 21 - 23 foot, that is small enough to be towed easily by my car for the 3-5 weekend events we attend each year.

I will, however call the owner to see what the weight of this one is. In that size, the presence/absence of a bedroom will not really be an issue as there is room in it for some living area, too. If my '57 could tow it without "giving the car a hernia" there could be a possibility here....

It just bugs me that I can get a 21 foot stickie with a great floorplan, but when I look at such things as the Bigfoot 21 (or 23) - a perfect size - I find that they wasted so much space on a bedroom, and the actual living space is no more than a much smaller trailer.

Just can't see us trailering to campgrounds or traveling with one - things are just SO much cheaper, easier and more comfortable to take my Wife's Lexus and do the "hotel room thing". We did the trip to Yellowstone (plus 6 states) with a travel trailer behind the pickup several years ago and decided at that time that we would NEVER do that again!

Just called him. Its actually too small for his needs - he wants more of a "park" model to leave in Ariziona for snowbirding. He just got back from Ariz with it. (He also has a Boler 17 for local stuff and attends Boler meets with it)

He says its advertised weight is in the 4,000 range, but it actually comes in closer to 6,000 due to options added at the factory and having put real hardwood floors in it, among other things. Tongue weight is in the 650 lb range.

6,000 lb is really too much for a car to tow, but then again, most of the hotrod meets that I attend are not TOO far away....... (and then on the third hand, if you are one of those folks who have 3 hands )

Hmmmmm.....

As the surgeons say:" incisions, incisions, always incisions"

Edit/addition to message:

They just sent me a whole bunch of pix - 87 of them in fact! Unless I am missing something, it only is designed to sleep two people, plus maybe another 2 at most!

It has twin beds in the front bedroom and it has what appears to be "an Argentine cowboy" in the rear living room. (maybe a sofa that is not even convertible to a bed - have to check into that!) It does not appear to have a dinette at all - there is a "Duncan Fyfe" style drop-leaf table and two loose chairs for the eating area.

Sheesh!

Even my Boler 17 sleeps four, with another on a top bunk!

I have asked him to e-male me a cc of the floorplan before I decide whether to make the 5 hour trip to go see it

Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #16

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Dave, It seems like any trailer in the the 21-25ft range is going to too heavy for your 57 chevy....but you DID say it was your dream trailer.
Have you considered, though, that removing a bed and possibly a partial wall may not be as difficult as you think. And you could probably buy a convertible gaucho counch from an RV manufacturer. So the trailer that you are dreaming of might only be be a few weekends of work away. You just have to figure out the weight issue.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #17

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
When Casita and Scamp make trailers for the military rental market they sleep 6 adults and the put 2 bunks on the side, 2 bunks in front and the rear dinette which sleeps 6. Dont know if they will make such a trailer for for individuals or not. I do remember seeing 2 Scamp Trailers for sale recently that slept 5 as they kept the side dinette rather than having it be bunks allowing 6 to sleep in beds.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If there are twin beds, it shouldn't be all that hard to change that to twin bunk beds. To lighten the load, use aluminum for the framing of the bunks.

Here's another that MAY still be for sale. It would require some work, but it's lighter than the Silver Cloud and you could make the interior uniquely your own, there's a phone number in the top post: 1971 Avco in Oregon City, Oregon Here's Gina's write up when she went to see it: "New" MF brand, went to see today ~ Avco I know these posts are old, but still.. it's only a phone cal...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #19

British Columbia
Still looking.....

Well, if I had to define a "perfect" floorplan, it would be something on the order of a 21 - 23 footer, but would have a a couple of "gauchos", plus a convertible dinette. Don't need to have all that living room space taken up by a bedroom that cannot be used for anything except "bedroom activities" (which may include sleeping)

Trouble is - for some unfathomable reason - makers seem to think that a gaucho plus a dinette is ONE option and the other option is to take half the trailer for a bedroom, plus a dinette - no gaucho at all!

I have even seen one (that shall remain nameless) that had a very small 2 person table, plus a bedroom - no real dinette, no gaucho, but it had a LARGE bedroom. Other than sleeping - there was no room to sit around, relax, have beer, read a book, and no way to have friends over for an evening. ( I referred to it as an "anti-social" floorplan) I can't even see it as 'suitable" for 2 people - if you aren't sleeping or eating, there is nowhere to sit!

Sheesh!

Don't F/G makers WANT to compete in the mainstream?

At minimum, I expect to find a flush toilet, plus shower, (meaning fresh water plus gray and black tanks) a water heater, a small stove (cooktop is fine), a furnace, a kitchen sink for dishwashing. My Boler 17 has all that, plus a Dinette that converts to a double bed, and a gaucho/double bed plus an upper bunk suitable for 1 -2 "kidlets" or maybe one adult.

Attention Manufacturers: Add a few more feet of overall length to get more floor area, and then add another gaucho (or put in a bedroom if you must!) but DON"T delete the gaucho and the convertible dinette!

So I was asking if anyone here had heard of such an "egg" where the maker is aware that some families need to sleep more than 4, but still want a low maintenance, light-weight unit that can be towed without the need for "a Kenworth".

Don't need a "a park model".
Don't need a 2-person trailer (My son's Surfside is perfect for that).
Don't want/need a permanently-made queen bed

Just want one that can sleep 3 couples/6adults at night and have a "social area" in the daytime without having to go outside to swat mosquitoes or sit in the rain, or bring BOTH my Boler plus his Surfside.

And by the way - my abilities to modify the interior of one are non-existant - if any changes have to be made to the "as built" version, I am likely looking at having someone do some very expen$ive work at exhorbitant price$.

So while I thank you for pointing me at the latest one, if it needs to have a wall moved or change "this" to a "that" - its not something I can do.

Want me to build you a '67 Rolls Royce with 750 HP that can hit 60 mph before it clears the intersection? Did that.
Want to build a humongous garage to keep your egg AND your cars in? Did that too.

Want ANYTHING to do with interior finishing done? Not Me! I am "Joe Klutz" when it comes to furniture/cabinetry!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #20

British Columbia
Talking Best bet???

Looks like (after a TON of research) that my "best bet' would be a Bigfoot 21 footer with the Front Bedroom (the 25B21F) - and then find someone to yoink out the front bed and install a pair of "Argentine Cowboys" for me.

If the measurements on the Bigfoot site are to scale, there would be room for the gauchos and this would yield a sitting area/livingroom (with 2 sofas!) by day and 2 double beds by night. There is also a convertible dinette already, but that was one of the models that drove me nutz looking at it - as in "Why did they DO it that way?" A bedroom, but no "living space"?

At a dry weight of 4090 lb (more likely closer to 5,000 leaving for a weekend!) it can be towed by nearly anything I own. I suspect the '57 Chev may grunt a bit, but no major problems foreseen. My big p/u may not even notice (much).

Now, about those lottery tickets....
Old 06-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Looks like (after a TON of research) that my "best bet' would be a Bigfoot 21 footer with the Front Bedroom (the 25B21F) - and then find someone to yoink out the front bed and install a pair of "Argentine Cowboys" for me.

There is also a convertible dinette already, but that was one of the models that drove me nutz looking at it - as in "Why did they DO it that way?" A bedroom, but no "living space"?
I think it's a female thing. The ladies may prefer eating inside away from the bugs. They also may prefer regular beds that don't need to be reconfigured every day.

BTW, might there be enough space to change the dinette to a Gaucho as well? Just a thought...
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I think it's a female thing. The ladies may prefer eating inside away from the bugs. They also may prefer regular beds that don't need to be reconfigured every day.

BTW, might there be enough space to change the dinette to a Gaucho as well? Just a thought...

But then where would we eat?

BTW - there is a Bigfoot 21 for sale near Toronto for cheap! Asking $8,000) Not sure why it is so low priced, but....

Sure would be a LONG way for me to go o see it (about 2500 miles away!)