Wanted: fiberglass trailer that sleeps 6 adults - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Question Wanted: fiberglass trailer that sleeps 6 adults

My "dream" trailer might be something in the 22-25 foot size, but WITHOUT a permanent bedroom - just a second "sofa" that makes into another bed. I don't want to sacrifice "living area" to a bedroom that is only used at night. "Perfect floorplan" would have two "gauchos' (why in heck are they called THAT?) plus a dinette area that also makes into a bed, so 6 adults can be accommodated.

It still needs to be light enough to be towed behind my hotrod '57 Chev for short trips, as well as behind my "main tug" - a large 3/4 ton P/U for longer trips

Not at all interested in any form of 5th wheel - must be "straight pull" type

Any ideas/suggestions/ones for sale?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I don't see this happening.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Link to a member's project

What you are looking does for does not presently exist. However that did not stop Ken H.
Dreams come true for those that make them.

Stretching my 1988 17 ft Bigfoot
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Crazy idea, but I think there's a past thread somewhere about a Trillium with a second bunk at the rear. Maybe TrilliumRV could build one for you?

Edit: Rear Bunks in Trillium 4500?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #5

British Columbia
Boler mod

I don't see how hard it can be - we could sleep 5 adults (plus one more, if someone chooses to sleep on the floor!) in my 17 foot Boler, thanx to a very study convertible upper bunk I built over the rear "gaucho".

Just want a bigger one that would have 2 "gauchos" (Argentine cowboys?) plus a convertible dinette, without a "permanent bedroom" wasting huge amounts of living space, and no-one having to climb up into a bunk to sleep. Need more "living space" during the day as well as sleeping space at night. Less preferred alternative: two convertible dinettes plus "an Argentine cowboy".

Want full bath with shower. (the one in the Boler is adequate)
Don't need an oven, (in 15 years of owning the Boler, we have never once even attempted to start the oven - don't even know if it works! -It is simply a small, inefficient storage space.) but do need a 3 burner (minimum) cooktop and some closet space as well as a microwave.

So long as I seem to be dreaming in technicolor, I'd prefer NOT to have "outside hatches". If present, would I remove them and fiberglass over the holes.

In a perfect world, it would have a pair of 30 lb "profane" tanks and a pair of HD deep-cycle batteries, but those are SO easy to add to the tongue that its hardly worth mentioning. A/C would be nice. No need for TV or stereo - in fact, if present, I would remove them.

As to being able to tow with my '57 Chev hotrod, there is a local guy who has traveled all over the US and Canada with a 30 foot? ( not 100% sure of size, but it's a monster!) stickie behind his '55 Chev hotrod, and cars of that era hauled HUGE (and VERY heavy!) travel trailers back in the day.

I don't want a stickie - had one prior to getting my Boler 17 - the flex caused seams to come open and the stix rotted and......

"Unibody" construction on a sturdy frame is definitely the way to go!

However, if no-one on here has ever heard of/seen such a thing (sigh)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Lil Snoozy? They seem flexible. Maybe since they are starting up, they might modify one for you.

Or watch for those molded cargo trailers that can be adapted.

CindyL
Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #7

British Columbia
Unhappy Oh well.....

My problem with making mods to a trailer is that, for interior woodwork etc, I have to get someone else to do it. ($$$$!) I can wire and plumb a whole house. I can install house siding and windows. I can build myself a hot rod (or 2 or 3, or.... - I have several), but my cabinetry skills are somewhat less than nothing. If I tried to do an interior mod, there would be raw 2X4's with nails & bolts everywhere.

Yes, I made the hi-strength upper bunk for my Boler 17, but I had a LOT of help with that li'l project, and it still needs support poles inserted at night to help carry the weight.

I would also be terrified of cutting a perfectly good trailer in half to add length as was done by a member on here - whose skills and ability, plus sheer "guts" leaves me in awe.

Folks who gut and re-do the whole interior of a trailer also leave me gasping at their skill, ability (and nerve) as well.

I even take my Boler to a shop for any work that it might need such as re-sealing windows or changing out the water heater (last month)

I have no issues with taking - say - my '56 Ford F100 (another of my projects) and pulling the entire cab and box off the frame, putting Jaguar front & rear suspension under the frame, reinforcing the frame, and putting a 500 cubic inch 1970 Cadillac engine in it for motivation, restoring the cab and box to look brand new and adding a full custom interior with seats from a Lexus, adding A/C and all power "mod cons".

Just don't look at me for cabinetry!

So I thought I would just put it out there to see if anyone had ever heard of such a thing as I am seeking. Guess not.

I keep seeing motorhomes that are not significantly bigger that a 22 footer that have 2 "gauchos" plus a convertible dinette, so I thot maybe someone, somewhere made a glass trailer with that plan, too. If mo'home manufacturers see a market for that....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #8

British Columbia
Hmmmm.....

"Lil Snoozy? They seem flexible. Maybe since they are starting up, they might modify one for you.

CindyL"
_
Thanks for the idea Cindy

The Escape factory is less than an hour's drive from here - now if only I could win a lottery, so I could afford to buy a new one, with a custom interior......
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #9

British Columbia
Thumbs up PERFECT floorplan!

I just found EXACTLY what I am looking for in a floorplan

Too bad its not a molded glass trailer (its a stickie)

It is the Skyline Weekender 180

(Why do they call a 21 footer a 180? "Enquiring minds want to know".)

Now if I could only figure out how to copy/paste the floorplan to here, I'd show you! Basically, there is a "gaucho" across the front (convertible to a double bed). Along the left side is (front to back) kitchen counter with sink, stove, then fridge, then "bathroom sink", followed by the bathroom itself with toilet and tub with shower.

On the right side, starting from the gaucho, we come next to the door, then a dinette (convertible to a bed), followed by a closet/pantry, and then the rear "bedroom" with a queen bed, and another closet. I suspect that I could find someone to remove the queen bed and put in another convertible gaucho.

All in a 21 footer stickie. Now why can't molded glass trailer makers do that?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's probably an 18' body and a 21' frame same as the egg's, they really only count the length of the body which seems pretty stupid to me.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #11

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
All in a 21 footer stickie. Now why can't molded glass trailer makers do that?
They can but demand is probably pretty low. A few of them actually do custom layouts. On a new trailer, though ($$).
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #12

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I keep seeing motorhomes that are not significantly bigger that a 22 footer that have 2 "gauchos" plus a convertible dinette, so I thought maybe someone, somewhere made a glass trailer with that plan, too.
Unfortunately, I think we are comparing apples to oranges here.
Smaller motorhomes and stick-built trailers have a large mass market: working families with kids, who are on a tight budget, while molded fiberglass trailers are a relatively small niche: retired empty-nesters who shop for quality Much more than price. Many people in the former market go into sticker shock when they venture into the latter. History bears one thing out, a manufacturer has to know his market. Of the, what, 30-something brands of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer listed on our Home Page? All but a half dozen or so are Orphans; their manufacturers went out of business. I'll bet many of them thought they had a trailer for the masses and learned after the fact it was only a niche. You're just in the wrong part of the bell curve, Dave.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #13

British Columbia
Well, OK (sniff, sniff) Looks like no-one makes them. Maybe I am just a very tiny minority, but having a "bedroom" just seems to be such a waste of space - it can only be used at night - and it takes away SO much of the "living space" for daytime use.

Picture the scene - there you are, and you get a rainy day - no-one wants to go out in it to do anything, but there is no room inside because (what feels like) half the trailer is a queen size bed, instead of another gaucho

I have even seen some that have only a permanent bed and a dinette with no "living/relaxing" area at all!

I was SO disappointed to find that all the Bigfoots larger than the 19 all had permanent bedrooms - thus turning into them what is effectively a very much smaller trailer inside and I am certainly not willing to tow the weight of a 23 footer and only have (effectively) a 15 footer inside

Wonder if the glass trailer makers could get into a mass market if they actually made something to compete with stickies - nice floorplan, same features, half the weight.

I passed on that stickie - it had the (near) perfect floorplan, but, even though it is advertised as an easy-to-tow ultralight, it was nearly 4,000 lb dry!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You might check to see if this is still available. Don't know if it has a separate bedroom or not, but it sure is coool! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud | Salmon Arm, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote