Wanted Hunter Compact Jr or Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Name: Bernie
Trailer: Researching Options
Kentucky
Wanted Hunter Compact Jr or Trails West Campster

Hi,

I'm looking for a lightweight trailer I can pull with my Honda Element, which is limited to 1,500 lb towing capacity. I understand the Hunter and Trails West are among the lightest trailers out there. I also like the pop up tops for added head room. I'm in Kentucky, I know it will be tough to find one close by, but keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh, I've seen the post for one in Marquette MI, but hoping to find one a little closer to me. Also, it is fine if it is in rough shape, I plan to completely renovate it.

Thank you,

BernieK

Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieK View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a lightweight trailer I can pull with my Honda Element, which is limited to 1,500 lb towing capacity. I understand the Hunter and Trails West are among the lightest trailers out there. I also like the pop up tops for added head room. I'm in Kentucky, I know it will be tough to find one close by, but keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh, I've seen the post for one in Marquette MI, but hoping to find one a little closer to me. Also, it is fine if it is in rough shape, I plan to completely renovate it.

Thank you,

BernieK
My Honda Element has no problems pulling the Trails West. It follows nicely.

But heads up on one aspect of renovating a Trails West that I have discovered. There are 8 different shapes of seals and gaskets that were used in the sliding windows. You won't be able to find exact replacements for most of them and would have to be very creative to sort that out or else be prepared to exchange the windows for more recently made ones. The few replacement gaskets you can find are fairly expensive. That means a cost adding up to much more than $100.00 per sliding window to get them in good shape again. It is probably worth investing that money in replacement sliding windows of a more modern style that are not as prone to leaks and still have replacement seals and gaskets available.

Fortunately so far the windows are the only problem of its type I have had in renovating a Trails West. Everything else is easy to solve for finding replacement materials.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the ma
Texas
I have a 1974 HUNTER COMPACT II ? Fixing to sell this week. I took it to the scales and weights 1340 lbs. it is ready to roll. If interested email me and I can give you more information. I am located in northeast Texas

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1973 Compact II by Hunter
New York
We have a 1973 Hunter Compact II that needs some light restoration (some cushion work, pop-up vinyl needs some work but is there, etc.). Overall it is in very solid shape for an all original camper, and can be used right away. We're asking $3500 neg., and can work something out to deliver it - we travel between NY and Tennessee a few times a year, so Kentucky is not too out of the way. Let me know if you would like to see some pictures
Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: scamp
Tennessee
I have a 1975 Hunter Compact I I that we too are going to sell we are in TN. We are asking 2100 for it.It needs some work, but it is usable now. Email me if you are interested I have pics.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Did you see the listing from pack daddy? He's in Texas, but it's really nice looking trailer.

Roger

Tags
campster, trails west