Wanted: Info Trillium 4500/5500 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: jojo
Trailer: rockwood popup, shopping for Fiberglass
Ontario
Wanted: Info Trillium 4500/5500

In what year did they change from straighter to more rounder edges? Am talking about the vintage ones not the recently relaunched versions? I found older 4500 pics with the harder lines (pic of newer 4500 vs older 4500).

Are all the 5500 the round version ?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoOtt View Post
In what year did they change from straighter to more rounder edges? Am talking about the vintage ones not the recently relaunched versions? I found older 4500 pics with the harder lines (pic of newer 4500 vs older 4500).

Are all the 5500 the round version ?
All older trilliums were originally rounded or egg shaped . T he squarer jubilee came later and coensided with the 1300 ,4500, 5500 builds. There has always been a egg shaped trillium since the original build.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
As Mike said, the squarer Trillium Jubilee is a different model then the 1300, 4500, and 5500. All 5500's were the rounder shape that is shared with the 1300's and the 4500's, though it is about 12" wider then both of those trailers.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #4

Ontario
Interesting!
Seems like we decide between Jubilee and 5500.

Not a fan of the boxy shape of the Jubilee, but like that it's wood furnishings (easier to customize) vs the round one.
What is the size of the bunks in the Jubilee; what supports the top bunk; what weight person is supported?

Do *almost all* of the 5500 have the orange trim? Were they all 2-dinettes or are there bunk models in these as well? What's the difference in the one with the compass rose instead of a window at front?

Are the fridge doors really upholstered ?
Are both these models usually white-(ish)?
Both same height?
5500 both wider and longer ? ALREADY ANSWERED
Rare tandem wheels good or bad?

Did any come built with (safe) cargo racks?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
wood furnishings (easier to customize)
The Jubilee and 5500 are the only Trilliums with wood interior.

Do *almost all* of the 5500 have the orange trim?
Most are orange, some are blue. Not sure if this has any meaning, or if it was a customer option.
Double stripes mean "Deluxe" model: larger fridge, hot water, shower, range, screen door, etc.

Were they all 2-dinettes or are there bunk models in these as well?
There was a front bunk model as well. Very rare (consider it non-existent!).

What's the difference in the one with the compass rose instead of a window at front?
This specific trailer belongs to a member here, and apparently never had a front curb side window installed. The compass rose decal and the matching stripes have probably been added later, they look nothing like a Trillium design.
The 5500 has only been made for a couple years before Trillium went belly up, and the final design of the 5500 had apparently not been finalized, so most of them have some differences in things like plumbing (water heater location, drain pipes configuration, etc). Also, apparently one could have one "built-to-order", so this may also explain some differences like the "missing" front right window.

Are the fridge doors really upholstered ?
They were. Mine isn't anymore. This can be easily changed or removed.

Are both these models usually white-(ish)?
Colonial White they call it.

Both same height?
I don't know, you would have to look up in the document center on this board for the full specs. I can take any measurement on my 5500 if you want.

Rare tandem wheels good or bad?
The initial design of the 5500 called for dual axles. The fiberglass mold was designed to accommodate 2 axles. Some say due to cost cutting, some say because it simply wasn't necessary, they started to offer a single, higher-capacity axle. The dual axle config remained available as an option (may be the GVWR was higher with 2 axles, I don't know). The FG mold was never modifed, only the wheel "fenders" were different. The single axle model is probably lighter, and is certainly more common.

Did any come built with (safe) cargo racks?
Not to my knowledge, and if your thinking about a roof rack of some sort, I wouldn't do it. That roof is barely strong enough to support itself, I wouldn't put anything on top of it (well, a solar panel would be fine), even a rooftop air conditioning unit would require additional internal bracing to prevent the roof from caving in.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wanted: Info Trillium 4500/5500

Have you also considered a Boler 1700: rounded profile, wood interior, similar size?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Have you also considered a Boler 1700: rounded profile, wood interior, similar size?
Good point!

Personally, I did consider the B1700 when I was shopping. I preferred the 5500 due to the larger rear bed. Also, the jalousie-type windows. Much more light, and airflow, rain or shine. Probably at the expense of interior storage volume, I never really compared this point.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #8

Ontario
It is absolutely the Jalousie windows all around that attract me to this brand both for the look and amount of light. ... we're coming from a tent trailer and our home is a Barry Hobin design, so we're used to lots of large windows/ & daylight.

LOVE this - keep the info coming, You're being very helpful
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoOtt View Post
we're coming from a tent trailer
Same here. Hard to beat the light and airiness of a popup. Not many trailers - new or old - offer something similar, and the 5500 eventually became the only acceptable candidate to replace our popup. The 5500 has windows all around, and the windows are large, it sure doesn't feel cramped in there. We dry camp most of the time, so no A/C, we needed good airflow, and being able to keep the windows open even if it rains, slightly open at least.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Ontario
Carl, I see you are from Quebec. Is snow load an issue for the 5500 or are you lucky enough to store indoors?

I came across some pics where they installed 2x4 braces in the winter in a FG trailer (not sure what brand); wondering if that is typical/required or if that particular unit had maybe sustained previous damage that weakened the structure.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

Quebec
Registry
I've had the trailer for only one year.
Last fall I knew the trailer was going to spend the winter outside, so I added 3 braces made of 2X3 to help support the roof.
(the photos you've seen might actually be mine)
Worked out OK I guess, as the roof didn't cave in!
Hovever we didn't have much snow last year, and on a couple occasions I did shovel what I could off the top.
Then when spring came, I took my braces out, and although I had made them in the shape of a T, the horizontal part of the Ts left an imprint (excuse my english, not sure if it's the right word for this) on the ceiling where the Ensolite got compressed. I thought this was going to go away eventually, with the warmer temperatures, but we're past mid August, we had plenty of heat, and I can still see a faint outline on the Ensolite where the braces were (very faint, if I don't tell you, you won't notice). But still.
So I'm not going to use braces again next winter. I'll be shopping for a proper shelter.

Over the last few years, my popup camper spent winters in a temporary car shelter like they sell at Canadian Tire or hardware stores. Works perfectly, however the shelter I'm using is too low for my 5500. But they do make some for higher vehicles like vans, and I'm going to get one for the trailer. So interior bracing will not be required, and no snow to shovel.

If I was to brace the roof again like last year, I would use a piece of playwood against the ceiling instead of just a piece of 2X3, to spread the load even more. And I would not wedge the braces too tight either.
I wouldn't let the trailer out in the open without bracing however.

Hope it helps!

Tags
trillium