Wanted light weight travel trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Dee Dee
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Wanted light weight travel trailer

I am looking for a trailer I can tow with my Ford Ranger.. it only has a 3.08 gear ratio so it can only tow 1600 lbs. I would like to get one closer to 1200 lbs or under so I am not to limited on what I can put in it. I live in middle Tennessee and would like to find one within no more than a 3 or 4 hour drive so northern AL, southern, KY, etc... Would like one with a bathroom but that is not a deal killer... also air would be great... I'm on a tight budget so nothing too expensive. It is for 2 non-smoking adults.. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Even if you find a trailer in the 1,600lb range and the 3:08 gears are pulling down the towing performance I would consider swapping out the Ranger rear end for something more useful. I see them advertised for around $300.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You are asking a lot!

Be aware that manufacturers and sellers often underestimate how much these trailers weigh when loaded for travel. I see claims of "only weighs 900# and you can pull it with anything." For some real-life, loaded-for-travel data, check out the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World. Somewhere toward the end (post #237??) there is a downloadable spreadsheet organized in a way that makes it easier to compare different makes and models.

Don't know that there's a lot out there that will meet all of your requirements (bath, air) and come in under 1600#, never mind 1200#. One of the pop-top types (Hunter, Campster) might come closest.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks but a popup will not work for me... we just sold ours because I have a bad back and setting it up was a real issue. Thanks for the info on the weight issue. Someone else recommended we put a different sized rear end in for more towing capability so I may look into that.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just to clarify… the kind of pop-top I am talking about is not a tent trailer. Here's an example:

1973 Hunter Compact II - $3450

Depending on how they are equipped, they can be among the lightest of the fiberglass trailers. They also have less frontal area, which improves towing performance at highway speeds, and they fit into a standard garage. I have no idea how much effort is required to raise the roof, or if this would even interest you.

If you do look into increasing your tow capacity, it may involve more than just a rear-end swap. Suspension, brakes, cooling capacity, alternator size are among the other factors that have to be considered. I owned a basic 4 cyl/stick shift Ford Ranger at one time and they're, well… pretty basic.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Tennessee
Thanks for the link... I will look in to that.. We had looked at a "pop-top" Northwind by Viking but it weighed 2400 pounds..not fiberglass... I will look at the Hunter Compacts... I think they would work great.

Tags
light, weight