wanted: Lil Snoozy, Scamp or Casita - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Kara
Trailer: currently shopping
Colorado
wanted: Lil Snoozy, Scamp or Casita

I am in the market for my first travel trailer. Love the Lil Snoozy but I know they are hard to find. A Scamp or Casita would be an option too. I'm a single female looking to hit the road this summer. I live in Durango, Colorado.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Welcome. Not sure how long you have been lurking here, but a couple of things to be aware of in your quest for a trailer. These molded fiberglass trailers sell very quickly if they are in decent shape and close to fairly priced. They also hold their value better than conventional trailers, so expect the price to be higher than what you may be used to.

When you find your trailer, be ready to pounce on buying it, in other words, have cash in hand or you will probably loose it to someone who does.

Also, you may have to travel a good number of miles to find what you are looking for. It would help folks to know what size you are most interested in as well as what features are "must haves" - such as air conditioning, bunk space, on-board shower, etc.

If you are serious about finding a trailer by summer, you need to be checking the classifieds on this site daily, or several times a day. Also be aware that there seems to be frequent "scam" ads on Craigslist for these trailers. If you find one on Craigslist, post it here and folks will be able to offer advice about whether it is legit or not.

You are correct, the Lil Snoozy is will be less abundant on the market.

One more very important question, what tow vehicle will you use - must know the towing capacity and tongue weight capacity that you need to fit into.

I'm sure other folks will be adding to this thread shortly, specifically, which other sites/forums to shop.

Good luck, your journey has begun!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
One more very important question, what tow vehicle will you use - must know the towing capacity and tongue weight capacity that you need to fit into.

Key question here for sure! Or maybe you will buy a vehicle later to match the camper???
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #4

Colorado
Much appreciated comments

Thank you so much for the great advise, I'm sure I will have questions and appreciate your willingness to share.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

Colorado
I'm looking at a Honda Pilot, will that work?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I can't answer that for certain, as I'm not familiar with the Pilot. It often depends on what equipment is on an individual vehicle and the model year.

A quick google search shows the current Pilots to vary from 3500 lbs to 5000 lbs tow capacity and a tongue weight limit of 350 lbs to 500 lbs, depending on how they are equipped.

IF these numbers are correct, you should be able to tow a 13' molded fiberglass trailer with no problems and a 16' as long as it was not overloaded, even larger with the right Pilot.

It's always better to have a cushion on your weight ratings.

Hopefully other, more knowledgeable folks will chime in soon, surprised they haven't yet.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most Pilots will do very well with a mid-sized molded fiberglass trailer, but be careful- some versions are rated as low as 2000 pounds (2012-2015 2WD).

In Colorado I'd recommend a 4WD version, rated 4500 pounds on 2009-2015 models and 5000 pounds on 2016-2017 models (requires optional transmission cooler, 3500 without). That would be more than adequate for any of the trailers you are considering.

I have a 2011 Pilot LX 2WD, rated 3500/350, towing a Scamp 13. Because we tow a lot in higher elevations, mountain grades and windy conditions, I don't think I would want to go much over 2500 pounds. The only complaint I have is the transmission does not have a full-manual mode.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Colorado
Tow vehicle

It looks like the 2015 pilot comes with the tow package with extra cooling, I'm also looking at Toyota Highlander's. I will make sure I can tow up to 5000 lbs. I just hope I find a camper by spring.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by karakomick View Post
It looks like the 2015 pilot comes with the tow package with extra cooling, I'm also looking at Toyota Highlander's. I will make sure I can tow up to 5000 lbs. I just hope I find a camper by spring.
Yes. The second generation Pilots (2009-2015) come with pretty much everything needed to tow as standard equipment on all trims: ATF cooler, receiver, and wiring including brakes. You do have to add the 7-way plug (except on the Touring trim, which includes it). Honda charges a small fortune for the part, so if you can, negotiate for it in the deal. Make sure a used vehicle includes the factory-supplied connector for a brake controller (mine was in its original packaging in the cargo area under-floor compartment). The second generation is only rated for 4500 pounds in 4WD trim, but I wouldn't make too much of the difference.

Starting 2016, some towing upgrades became dealer accessories, including the ATF cooler and receiver.

Highlanders are great vehicles and highly rated, but it's harder to find a used one with a factory tow package, since it's not standard like Honda. Also, Toyota doesn't supply the receiver or wiring with the tow package, so there will be additional set-up costs on the Highlander you won't have with the Pilot. The factory tow package just consists of under-hood upgrades (engine and transmission cooling and HD alternator). I likewise cross-shopped Highlanders, but the right Pilot came along first.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Highlanders are great vehicles and highly rated, but it's harder to find a used one with a factory tow package, since it's not standard like Honda. Also, Toyota doesn't supply the receiver or wiring with the tow package, so there will be additional set-up costs on the Highlander you won't have with the Pilot. The factory tow package just consists of under-hood upgrades (engine and transmission cooling and HD alternator). I likewise cross-shopped Highlanders, but the right Pilot came along first.
We tow with a Toyota Highlander (2011) and Jon is correct. The factory tow package does not include the wiring. We shopped around and ended up having UHaul install ours instead of Toyota. The total cost was around $300, which included the receiver and ball (as well as wiring and a full frame hitch installation). One thing I don't love, is that UHaul wouldn't drill through the cargo floor and install the wiring in an outside box (which Toyota will do) so when we tow, the wiring comes out from inside the cargo area (because that's where the electrical panel is) and the rear lift gate closes on it. So far it hasn't been a problem, but if we did it again, we'd do it differently. Just an FYI.

Aside from that, we LOVE towing with our Highlander. It has been a great vehicle. It handles the mountains like the Scamp isn't even back there.

Edited to add: UHaul told us one benefit of not having the wiring in an outside box, is that there is less corrosion and the wiring lasts longer before needing repairs, so I guess that's a positive to look at given our set up! When not in use, the wires tuck nicely into the control panel, out of sight!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
That's the wiring set-up we had on our previous tug, a Toyota Sienna, also done by U-Haul. I agree that having the connector inside the vehicle kept everything neat and clean.

However, it was only 4-pin wiring with a flat cable that fed easily through the weatherstrip around the rear hatch. I don't think that works with 7-pin wiring, which the OP will need for a larger trailer with brakes. The lack of integrated trailer wiring in the vehicle wiring harness is a downside to otherwise excellent Toyota products.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's the wiring set-up we had on our previous tug, a Toyota Sienna, also done by U-Haul. I agree that having the connector inside the vehicle kept everything neat and clean.

However, it was only 4-pin wiring with a flat cable that fed easily through the weatherstrip around the rear hatch. I don't think that works with 7-pin wiring, which the OP will need for a larger trailer with brakes. The lack of integrated trailer wiring in the vehicle wiring harness is a downside to otherwise excellent Toyota products.
Agreed! Ours works the same. I was disappointed to learn that's how it was done and as we discuss a new vehicle in the next year or so, it's been a topic of conversation. We don't currently have brakes, so the 4pin is fine, but we'd like the new tow vehicle to be set up to add brakes at a future date, should we want to.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I am in Denver and I have a 13 scamp. No bathroom but it has 3way frig, Heater,3 burner stove, screen door 2 batteries, carpet, front window protector and a cover. If you are interested call or email me.

303-669-6845
cherrybomb365@yahoo.com
Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Name: Kent
Trailer: Casita
Montana
We have a 2016 Casita Sprit Deluxe fully loaded with10 ply tires. $4,000 u dear new price. Asking $17,750. Located in NW Montana 406-827-5090

Tags
casita, lil snoozy, scamp