wanted my very own egg... - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
HI , i am new to this forum but i am seriously looking for a scamp , casita , burro etc.. I will be towing with a 6 cyl Astro Van older model preferred because the price would be better?? i hope but well maintained.. don't need alot of extras but the 3- way fridge is important..

i am online researching the differences in floor plans but thinking for me and my 3 dogs..the 13'would fulfill my needs.. the 2 baby chihuahuas can sleep in a drawer.. most times i am in a campground with hookups and facilities...so prefer lightweight and think i will forego the bathroom..

by the way..where can i get a review of the different types of fiberglass campers??

oh yes, and i am south of the border but driving north at of the end of january so open to campers in AZ, NV, Northern CA, or anywhere within a few hundred miles of Eugene, Oregon..my final destination... THANKS!!! dee

Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Dee,

if you look at our Albums you can get a reasonable idea about the different trailers thru pictures.

Using the search function, up there at the top to your right, will lead you to lots of threads specific to individual trailers.

I travel in a 13 with 2 Beagles, a bit larger than your dogs, and I don't have any real issues, other than fighting for bed space sometimes.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi Dee,

if you look at our Albums you can get a reasonable idea about the different trailers thru pictures.

Using the search function, up there at the top to your right, will lead you to lots of threads specific to individual trailers.

I travel in a 13 with 2 Beagles, a bit larger than your dogs, and I don't have any real issues, other than fighting for bed space sometimes.
Thanks Gina, well my one dog , Chicklett is about 40 lbs..so that is why i like the ones that have a bunkbed..

thanks, i am finding the links and albums very helpful!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Gina: I bow down to you for traveling with two beagles. Our dog is a basset/beagle mix and if we were entombed in a 13 with her one of us wouldn't make it home! The best dog we have had was Sugar, a flatcoated retreiver. I certainly miss that dog and she would have been a great camping companion. She was a good sailing buddy and loved to get on the boat.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I travel with a 130+ lb husband and a nearly 100 lb dog and the dog does just fine on the front bunk bench seat. It's probably the reason why I am hesitant to turn the front into a dinette.
PS I let my husband share the main bed.
And we use the upper bunk for a storeage shelf.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #6

West Coast USA
Registry
Don,

They have adapted to the trailer very nicely. They are somewhat misfits in public, but I can put them in the trailer and they get on the bed and sleep for hours, or just sit and look out the window. (As long as I am in there with them.) Living with them as a pair in the 13 got dramtically better once I did the front dinette mod. Now they have thier space, and me mine.
They don't really get in the way at all!

They have bad habits tho, and the roof vent must remain cracked at all times

I think it just a matter of them realizing this is for fun, and they settle in. I am not sure two dogs and two people would do OK in a 13 tho.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
I travel with a 130+ lb husband and a nearly 100 lb dog and the dog does just fine on the front bunk bench seat. It's probably the reason why I am hesitant to turn the front into a dinette.
PS I let my husband share the main bed.
And we use the upper bunk for a storeage shelf.

Good luck with your search.
that made me laugh.. well i think i will forgo a husband at the moment and stick to my dogs..they take up less room but by the way..is the lower bunk actually wide enough and comfortable enough for a 130 + lb. adult.. i actually would like to keep the dinnette set up and that is why the bunk bed appeals to me.. thanks dee
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:

that made me laugh.. well i think i will forgo a husband at the moment and stick to my dogs..they take up less room but by the way..is the lower bunk actually wide enough and comfortable enough for a 130 + lb. adult.. i actually would like to keep the dinnette set up and that is why the bunk bed appeals to me.. thanks dee
The lower bunk in our boler is remarkably wide .. so long as the upper is raised. Wouldn't want to try to sleep the night this way but the dog (remember --she's nearly 100lbs) and I have snuggled in together provided we are both stretched straight out.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Don,

They have adapted to the trailer very nicely. They are somewhat misfits in public, but I can put them in the trailer and they get on the bed and sleep for hours, or just sit and look out the window. (As long as I am in there with them.) Living with them as a pair in the 13 got dramtically better once I did the front dinette mod. Now they have thier space, and me mine.
They don't really get in the way at all!

They have bad habits tho, and the roof vent must remain cracked at all times

I think it just a matter of them realizing this is for fun, and they settle in. I am not sure two dogs and two people would do OK in a 13 tho.
Gina: Your dogs don't starting howling in the middle of the night? Seems like something that would make me unpopular in a campground.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

West Coast USA
Registry
No.

One of them can't howl, he has been debarked (I didn't do it! He came with that "feature") and the other one has never been a howler

At nite.. they are dead to the world.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
by the way..is the lower bunk actually wide enough and comfortable enough for a 130 + lb. adult.. i actually would like to keep the dinnette set up and that is why the bunk bed appeals to me.. thanks dee
Dee, if you come to the Northern Oregon Gathering you can see my setup. I too wanted to leave the big dinette set up, but liked the idea of having a permanent bed. I tore out the front goucho and made a permanent bunk bed with lots and lots of storage underneath. The widest part of the Scamp is at the belly band and that's the height of my bunk.

Trust me, I weigh more than 130 lbs and I'm 5'7" tall and fit just fine. I also am using a 4" memory foam mattress...Nirvana!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper