Wanted: Near Michigan, not too picky - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Michigan
Oh awesome, thanks Mike. I didn't realize that was an option.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #30

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
I never did rock crawling and yes the ride was rough and noisy, but hey, that's half the fun. Then there's the roof off and doors off option, too. The 2011 Grand Cherokee I have now was designed by Mercedes and built by Daimler/Chrysler. The ride is very comfy and again we drive cross country every year to visit one son out West and one son out East. Still I have fond memories of the Wrangler. We towed a 13 ft Boler with the Cherokee and it was very easy. No problems. We are sure it will tow the 17 ft Boler just as well. As a hint, when we towed the 13 ft Boler, we left the curtains open front and back and that gave us great visibility behind us. We didn't need tow mirrors for it either.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #31

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Madison Scamp

Mike , get back to me soon as to if you want me to check it out . I'm leaving town Fri. From what I see , you'll be getting a great buy !
Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mike, just be aware it doesn't have a fridge, furnace, or AC. It's pretty basic. Only you know if that fits your camping style. It's a good price, fair for the season, but not a bargain, in my opinion.

I have no reason to suspect a problem, but I would verify the floor condition by checking inside benches and cabinets. After 13 years, anything is possible.

Also check the age of tires and battery. You might get a little off the price if they are near their expiration dates. If it has brakes, that's a plus; if not, check whether it has square mounting flanges on the axle behind the wheels. Brakes would be a good idea with your Jeep.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #33

Michigan
Hey Jim, I sent over an email to you, but I guess it must not have come through. Can you try to PM me your contact info and see if that goes through? I'd love it if you could get a chance to check it out.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #34

Michigan
Jon,
Thanks for the info. I thought that that the seller mentioned that it had a furnace, but I will ask to be sure. AC and fridge aren't a huge deal, but a furnace would be nice.

Inside the cabinets and under the benches, is it just bare floor? That would make sense that it would be easier to see if there is water damage. I had her take a few pictures from the underside and all the flooring looks solid that I can see.

I'll have to ask her about the battery, but from what she said and the pictures she sent me the tires look pretty good.

When I saw this, I thought it was a pretty good bargain. I haven't seen many newer than 2000 for sale, much less under $7K-$8K. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right places. Do you notice deals better than this often, I'm just curious. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #35

Illinois
Madison Scamp

Give me your phone number ! I'm 78 yrs. old & hate confusing computers !
Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #36

Illinois
Madison Scamp

Better yet , call me 1-815-776-9292 !
Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Yes, bare wood inside benches and cabinets (painted white in my '08).

Mine is equipped exactly like the one you're looking at, except we do have a furnace. Don't use it often, but when we need it it's sure nice. Some people add a catalytic heater (Wave 3). It's easier and cheaper than retrofitting a furnace, doesn't use up your battery to run the blower, and it's quiet. But there are safety and condensation issues you'll need to weigh carefully with that type of unit.

I have wished for a fridge at times. It wouldn't be large enough for our family of four, so we'd still need a cooler, but it would be nice for more sensitive perishables like meats and dairy. The ice box is useless (for refrigeration, anyway). Too small, no room for bottles, and ice melts fast. We use it for temperature-stabilized, critter-protected dry storage of bread, chips, etc., and a $45 Coleman 70-quart Xtreme ice chest for cold storage. Since we cook outside anyway, it works for us.

As to better deals, they are few and far between for one that clean. The $7-8K units usually have some of the appliances this one lacks; that's the only reason I said it wasn't a bargain. But if it works for your needs without those things and checks out as represented in the ad, I'd probably take a deep breath and go for it. I thought I was paying a lot for mine four years ago, but I laugh now. It's paid for itself in saved motel expenses and worth more now than I bought it for!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Forget to mention... trailer tires don't wear out, they age out. They should be replaced after about 5-7 years, regardless of tread. It does depend somewhat on use (sitting unused is bad), and proper storage (weight off, pressure reduced, protected from sun is good). The manufacture date is stamped in the sidewall as WWYY (week and year).
Old 06-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #39

Illinois
Mike-Madison Scamp

Mike call me , "Jim" , 1-815-776-9292 . The phone is still faster & less confusing !
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yes, bare wood inside benches and cabinets (painted white in my '08).

Mine is equipped exactly like the one you're looking at, except we do have a furnace. Don't use it often, but when we need it it's sure nice. Some people add a catalytic heater (Wave 3). It's easier and cheaper than retrofitting a furnace, doesn't use up your battery to run the blower, and it's quiet. But there are safety and condensation issues you'll need to weigh carefully with that type of unit.

I have wished for a fridge at times. It wouldn't be large enough for our family of four, so we'd still need a cooler, but it would be nice for more sensitive perishables like meats and dairy. The ice box is useless (for refrigeration, anyway). Too small, no room for bottles, and ice melts fast. We use it for temperature-stabilized, critter-protected dry storage of bread, chips, etc., and a $45 Coleman 70-quart Xtreme ice chest for cold storage. Since we cook outside anyway, it works for us.

As to better deals, they are few and far between for one that clean. The $7-8K units usually have some of the appliances this one lacks; that's the only reason I said it wasn't a bargain. But if it works for your needs without those things and checks out as represented in the ad, I'd probably take a deep breath and go for it. I thought I was paying a lot for mine four years ago, but I laugh now. It's paid for itself in saved motel expenses and worth more now than I bought it for!
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the tires aging out, that's a good point.

Yea, like I said, it is more than I wanted to spend, but considering what we pay for cabins at campgrounds, and the fact that it is very clean, I figure it will pay itself off within a few years. And needless to say, I will be out camping more with the family (biggest benefit).
Old 06-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #41

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRu View Post
...I thought that that the seller mentioned that it had a furnace, but I will ask to be sure...
I double-checked the ad. The seller mentions a "heater" among the accessories included in the sale. That's probably a plug-in electric heater, or possibly a portable catalytic heater. A small electric heater will warm up a Scamp just fine, but of course, you have to have electric hookups.

The factory-installed furnace is a permanently mounted unit that runs on propane and 12V power for the blower, so no hook-ups are required. For safety, it has a sealed combustion chamber, meaning it draws combustion air from outside and vents exhaust outside. The blower circulates cabin air through a heat exchanger. In short, just a smaller version of the one you may have in your home.

Scamp mounts it under the sink in the 13'er. You can see the white grille in this photo:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scampy Int Kitchen.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	95843
And you can see the stainless steel exterior intake/exhaust vent above the red stripe in front of the Scamp decal in this photo:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	95845
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #42

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRu View Post
...And needless to say, I will be out camping more with the family (biggest benefit).
So true! If I have any regrets at all they have nothing to do with whether my trailer has a fridge or not; it's that I didn't start sooner. My girls were 6 and 9 when we got the Scamp, so we missed some prime years! We had tried tent camping a couple of times, but my wife just didn't take to it. The Scamp made all the difference. Best wishes!