WANTED: Scamp 13' without bathroom, weight must be less than 1000 lbs - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: Jean-Francois
Trailer: In the market
California
WANTED: Scamp 13' without bathroom, weight must be less than 1000 lbs

Hi all,
I'm a first time buyer looking for a Scamp 13' without bathroom. It must weight less than 1000 lbs (I will be towing it with a Toyota Prius), so newest models are out.
I'm looking for a trailer in good condition and clean. Not looking for a project. Would prefer to pay around $6000 or less, but willing to adjust for the age and quality. I'm in San Luis Obispo, CA, but willing to travel some to get a good one.

Thanks for any tip or help!

Looking forward to trying this!
JF

Old 03-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I know that many folks look for a trailer to match their existing tow, but (and this is just my personal opinion) I think that is a mistake. Tow vehicles change often. Trailers probably don't. Ask yourself what your camping needs are, how much space or amenities you need, and what you'll use the trailer for. Find a trailer that matches THAT, then worry about your tow. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
You may want to read through this listing. Non of the Scamps weighed under 1000lbs. Trailer Weights in the Real World
Some of the lightest trailers (Hunters) are just under your maximum. Not sure if you can load them with any camping gear, and still be within your towing ratings.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #4

California
Hmmm! That's really good info to consider. Thanks for pointing it out! I guess I'll have to think about that seriously. I've read about people towing scamp with a prius, even one who towed a 16' one, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Anybody knows anybody towing a scamp with a prius?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
You may want to read through this listing. Non of the Scamps weighed under 1000lbs. Trailer Weights in the Real World
Some of the lightest trailers (Hunters) are just under your maximum. Not sure if you can load them with any camping gear, and still be within your towing ratings.

I believe the Hunter referenced in the link was just a shell at the time it was weighed. Nothing inside- no cabinets, no beds- nothing. A Hunter fitted out for camping will be more like 1300+ pounds. The reality is that there is no sub-1000 pound molded fiberglass trailer (except maybe a teardrop). Some older models did list a dry weight of under 1000 pounds, but barely, and that didn't include fluids, appliances, batteries, propane tanks, camping gear, food, clothing... Sadly, that unrealistic dry weight gets repeated by sellers and the myth continues.

There is another factor at play. I'm surprised a Prius has any listed towing capacity, but if the 1000 pound figure cited is correct, it was likely allowing for the occasional use of a small utility trailer or fishing boat (I have seen that a couple of times). The relatively large frontal area of a molded fiberglass trailer adds substantial air resistance at highway speeds. You will completely wreck the aerodynamics of your Prius, quickly drain the battery pack, and be left slugging along with only the underpowered gas engine and weak CVT transmission.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think this is a good idea.

If a different tow vehicle is not an option, you might look into the Quicksilver line of tent trailers by Livin Lite. The 6.0 model might be in the realm of possibility.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Towing a Scamp with a Prius....?
Better peeps to aim your question at in California would be your Insurance Company and ask what happens to your insurance coverage if you are in an accident and are towing over weight limit (if such a number even exists for a Prius). If they give an okey-dokey, then ask your attorney about your liability & legal risks when doing same.

We hear of all kinds of peeps that have little or no respect for mfgs. towing limits and, IMHO, it's always a very bad idea.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We have a Prius, and although I don't have the owner's manual in front of me right at the moment, I don't believe it has any towing capacity listed in it at all. I'll check it out though. Personally, although we love our Prius, we wouldn't consider towing anything with it. I agree with rbryan. Look for the trailer that suits your needs and then get the tow rig that matches. Remember, you probably only go camping a few times a year, so even if you don't get great mileage with your tow vehicle, it won't be that big of a deal. IMHO anyway.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

California
Thanks for all the info and advice folks.
Better to realize this now than after substantial time and money has been invested! I knew the idea of towing a Scamp with a Prius was pushing it, but I read on a forum of people towing with their Prius that 1000 lbs was the limit (even though, legally, there is no towing capacity). I realize now than anything bigger than a small teardrop wouldn't do...

I guess I won't be looking at a scamp then ... until I decide to by an appropriate towing vehicle. Thanks again for all the advice folks!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Check out this trailer link to little guy trailers. They have a few options.
This Meerkat is 900 lbs according to them. I saw one in person and its very cute. If in your boat I would want an actual weigh slip before I bought anything.
California Teardrop Camper & Meerkat Trailer Dealer | Little Guy Trailers
Old 03-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
All the under 1000# Scamps are being towed by Unicorns somewhere over the rainbow.

But seriously.... if you want a Scamp which approaches your numbers, you will need an early 13 with an icebox, two 12V lights, no battery, no propane, and little else.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
All the under 1000# Scamps are being towed by Unicorns somewhere over the rainbow.

But seriously.... if you want a Scamp which approaches your numbers, you will need an early 13 with an icebox, two 12V lights, no battery, no propane, and little else.
"And little else may well mean don't plan on bringing a pillow! Oh the horror!

I think you would find it considerably more cost effective to purchase a sound used vehicle for towing rather than trash a nice one by towing near or over capacity. Quick phone call to find out what it costs to replace a fried transmission and brakes on you Prius will allow you to determine one side of the cost equation.

I would look for something rated to at least a 2000# towing capacity for a 13 ft. as a minimum. 2500 - 3500 lbs. rated capacity would be better, especially if purchasing an older vehicle. If it could tow 3500# new then even several years older and more worn it won't strain to handle 1800# trailer.

There is a lot to be said for get the trailer, get an actual weight and find a tow vehicle from that. Or purchase tow with well over capacity so you can just purchase any trailer you find. Be a shame to walk away from a nice 15 ft. Casita or Trillium at a good price that you love because you just bought a tow that could not handle it.

Motorcycle pop up tent camper might be in the Prius tow range, not sure what they weigh but I can't think of anything lighter that does not involve sleeping on the ground.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

"They[sic] diet of a Unicorn can only be speculated upon. There are two conflicting theories as to what one eats, or what it does not eat, as you will see… The second, although seeming far-fetched and wild, is widely accepted. It is believed that the animal does not need to eat at all, being an animal of the Gods. It simply absorbs the solar power of the sun, drawing the energy directly from it. Many believe that the horn plays a major role in this process." (What do unicorns eat? - Harry Potter Answers)

If that's true (must be, since I found it on the internet), perhaps the unicorn can power the 12V lights at night, since there will be no battery. During the day, of course, she will be hitched to the Scamp alongside the Prius, adding one additional horsepower and creating the world's first 3-way hybrid: solar, electric, and gas.

For the human occupants, I'd suggest a diet of air-popped popcorn and marshmallows. Negligible weight, no need for refrigeration or a propane stove and tank. Water, I admit, is a problem, but, at least in Arizona, they can suck on prickly pear cactus pads. Just be sure to remove the spines first.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I had a chance to check our owner's manual for our Prius and it says "Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle".
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #14

Name: sue
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Will have a 13' U-Haul for sale. I believe it weighs in at 1,100 lbs totally empty;actually very light weight.

Tags
scamp, weight