WANTED: Scamp 16 layout 6 - West - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
WANTED: Scamp 16 layout 6 - West

I have finally decided that the Scamp 16 is probably my best bet for towing with my Ford Escape. I was considering a Casita, but at 6'2" I would probably hit my head. So if anyone knows of a Scamp for sale, please let me know. Would prefer something out west as I live in Phoenix.

Will
willywags@gmail.com

thewags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Good luck in your search, but as a fellow 6'2" guy, it seems you may be going solely on the published dimension. I'd urge you to get to a rally or in some other way get inside both of those models of trailers deciding that you know which you want. At a rally, I found that the 17' Casita and 16' Scamp were indistinguishable in height, in practice, and both were almost half-inch or so from me being able to stand upright. There may be a difference in where they measure - i.e., "max height" - or what's underfoot, but in any event, there are usually fan controls, A/C, etc. that come down from the ceiling to make moving around, or just standing up from the bed or table, an individual question of just what you may be willing or able to deal with in what trailer.

Also, if you look at old posts on the subject, you'll see a lot of advice about the importance of bed length over ceiling height, and you definitely want to be comfortable there. I also just don't want to scrape my head on the inside of the trailer. Good luck.

FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

Arizona
Yes, I would love to visit a rally, but I don't see any out west here for some time. I'll keep my eye open.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I hope you find one soon.
I was lucky that I started my search and found one within two days.
I wasn't too picky, I just wanted one to start my fiberglass trailer adventure. I figured if I get one it will help me figure out my MUST haves, happily, I must have this 13', it has been great as a starter trailer, and quite possibly an only trailer.

I search Craigslist and this site:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

Best to you with your search.

Here's mine, I'm just such a proud owner I have to show you:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Arizona
Thanks for the tip about fiberglass for sale. Looks promising.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Size

I concur that you should see one (or more) in person. We ordered and pickup up a new 16 Scamp from the factory this spring. We took about a year to study, and visit with other Scamp owners. Scamp can find other owners near you if you give sales a phone call. (This is fairly routine for them.)

Yes, I was also concerned about inside height and bed size. I am 6'2" and my head touches the headliner (roof) in my bare feet. I have to dodge the a/c unit and watch the side cabinets if I sit down at the side dinette.

The bed in ours is the "large" bed that Scamp offers in the 16 Deluxe model. I believe the Scamp 13 has that as an option as well. That makes the bed wider but the length is always going to be the same. So it ends up being a little smaller than a full size bed. I'm OK with the size and having added a 4-inch memory foam topper really enjoy a good nights sleep. (wife and I both)

If you share these concerns I would locate a trailer to check out the height and bed size and see what you think in person. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have more interior height but we plan on spending time outdoors and having a comfortable bed was our primary concern.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Name: dave
Trailer: looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
I am 6' and I too was looking at the Scamp '16-6' with the front bathroom until I learned from an owner of one that the bathroom headroom is at least 2" less than 6'. The factory rep told me he is 6' and can stand up in the bathroom ok (...!) but for the life of me I don't know why they don't just update the design to accommodate many potential buyers. Not sure of the bathroom height in the Parkliner (new or old design) but its gotta be more. Unfortunately they stopped selling the original model which was price competitive with the Scamp and there is a year wait for the new one. I could not wait and ended up buying an RPod with loads of headroom everywhere although I still long for a Parkliner. Good luck in your search! Lisantica- I like your tow vehicle. Plenty of headroom!
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

Arizona
Flaco, You all have me wondering now. I have also been looking at the Falcon F20. A little heavier, but it has an aerodynamic profile for ease of towing. I have been inside and I have lots of head room, and the finish is quite nice. It also has the wheels outside the frame for added stability and interior space. The only drawback is a smaller shower, but I have decided I can get used to that for the 6-7 day trips we will make. About the same price, and they are readily available here in AZ.

And yes, I LOVE my Ford Escape. I love it more every day. I got the Technology package, and I'm constantly finding new little tricks. I started out responding to an ad from Ford for rebates on the Edge. I went to the dealer to buy an Edge, but when I drove it, it felt like I was driving a truck. Then I drove the Escape and immediately fell in love. I like it better than my previous Lexus, which is saying a lot. It says it will tow 3,500 pounds, and the few folks who have done it say yes, it tows nicely. I'm trying to keep my dry weight under 2,500 pounds, just to play safe.

Tags
scamp