wanted: Scamp 16 without roof A/c - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: denise
Trailer: in the market
California
wanted: Scamp 16 without roof A/c

Have a height restriction so have to go without the roof air. Would prefer layout 6 but open to others. Im in Northern Cal. Thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
If you find one with rooftop A/C it would be a simple matter to remove the A/C and install a Fantastic Fan in its place. They each require a 14X14 opening.
The Fantastic Fan can be ordered with a flat top instead of the normal dome.
Be aware that if you are buying a trailer over about 5years old that it may have a Coleman Mini-Mach which is ( I think 9-1/2"tall) 4" shorter in height than the Mach, which is shorter than a Duo-Therm.

Whatever small difference you might pay you could recoup in the sale of the A/C unit, or save it and reinstall when you are ready to sell.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Dr Chip
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17
Georgia
I bought some very small wheel/tire combos to mount on my trailer to get it into the garage. It lowers the trailer enough to get it in and out easily.

I have also mounted a front hitch on my truck to more easily control putting our trailer in the garage, with good visibility vs using my reg rear hiych..
Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

California
How does that work putting other wheels and tires on? You deflate the regular tires on the trailer? Cant picture it. thanks
Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Chip -
Where did you buy the small wheels/tires? What size were they? Do you have a part# and/or price?

Thanks bunches!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntden View Post
How does that work putting other wheels and tires on? You deflate the regular tires on the trailer? Cant picture it. thanks
No need to deflate the regular tires. Simple remove the tires and rim they are on from the trailer and put smaller rims and tires on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Smaller trailer tires on rims are available on line at etrailers.com and at most RV dealers that also sell and repair pop-up tent trailers. Arrow trailer supply in SoCal has them in stock.
The 4 on 4 lug pattern is common on earlier Scamps and is available down to 8" rims.

With a $50 Harbor Freight floor jack changing both tires should take all of 10-15 minutes.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
No need to deflate the regular tires. Simple remove the tires and rim they are on from the trailer and put smaller rims and tires on it.
Do you mean for example changing out size 14" tires and rims for 13". Do I have that right? Is this an ok practice for most trailers?
Thanks Carol
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Here is how we got our Scamp through our 7' garage door.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01352.jpg   DSC01223.jpg  

DSC01355.jpg  
Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #10

Georgia
David B....that is exactly right! You can go down to an 8 inch tire wheel combination, like I did going from a 15 inch wheel/tire combo. There are some small tires that have relatively light load carrying capacity.

Did you roll the trailer on just the wheels? That would make the trailer even lower. Could roll the wheel over rubber mats.

Tire/wheel combos come in 4 and 5 bolt patterns. Wal-Mart has some but can be a bit pricy at $42 each. Etrailer!? has them for $24 each but they get you for shipping of $20-25.

I picked up my wheel/tire combos off Craigslist as take offs from a guy who had bought bigger wheel/tire combos for his utility trailer. They were like new but tread really doesn't matter since they will be used so little.

Finally, I have an impact wrench that makes the swap even faster and easier.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #11

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I did just roll the trailer around on the steel wheels, as when I had changed out my old axle from leading arm configuration, to trailing arm, and had repairs done to our cracked frame, our trailer was now to tall to fit through the door with the rubber on the small wheels. I got ours at a yard sale for free.
I did have to use the winch on our Jeep to pull the Scamp through the door opening for it to fit. Once in I could roll it around using a trailer dolly.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #12

Georgia
David ...very cool...never thought of that!

Put a hitch on the front of your vehicle and put the trailer anywhere you want..c
Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #13

California
so very helpful, and of course I assume no risk of damage to the axel? Or any other part of the trailer?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
so very helpful, and of course I assume no risk of damage to the axel? Or any other part of the trailer?
huntden...my trailer is in very good condition. Bought from a fellow Emory employee who was the second owner and moved up to a larger trailer.

We had late in life granddaughter and have to put off traveling for a while...and we still have a 40ft boat that has not sold...c

Tags
scamp