Wanted: Scamp with shower in mid-atlantic - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
I have been seeking a scamp for the last two months, to no avail. Found one that seemed illegal once I met them. I found the perfect one, had an appointment and a promise, but it was sold anyway before I could drive there. Found another one with a bajillon problems once seen.

I need a fully functioning light trailer with a shower. I'm looking for a 16' Scamp with side table and bath. A 13' would also be great. Nothing over 1600 lbs, lighter is better. I need to see it before buying it, and it should be within 300 miles of Philadelphia.

Please help!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Sounds like you would be better focusing on the 13's. I had a 2010 Scamp 16 with toilet, no shower, hot water heater, awning or a/c and it came in at 2040 lbs. Don't believe what people say unless they have had them weighed.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Philly View Post
I'm looking for a 16' Scamp with side table and bath. A 13' would also be great. Nothing over 1600 lbs, lighter is better. !
Ken sorry to tell you this but there is no way you will find a 16' Scamp of any model that weighs under 1600 lbs. In fact most will be 1000lbs or more over that. The lightest 16' Scamp on the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread came in at 2420lbs. My own 16' side bath Scamp normally weighs in loaded between 2500/2600lbs when loaded up but without water. Its also very unlikely you will find a 13' Scamp with a bathroom that weighs under 1600 lbs either. There are two on the list but they weighed in at 1620lbs and 1950 lbs but both are listed as standard models which suggests they have no bathroom.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
My Standard 13' Scamp without bath and without A/C weighs in at around 1700lbs with water and supplies. Good luck on the under 1600 lbs thing.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Just got to say, when I saw the title of this thread, "Wanted: Scamp with shower in mid-atlantic' I just had a vision of a little fiberglass egg floating in the middle of the ocean. Ok. I'll go away now.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Just got to say, when I saw the title of this thread, "Wanted: Scamp with shower in mid-atlantic' I just had a vision of a little fiberglass egg floating in the middle of the ocean. Ok. I'll go away now.
Me, too.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Okay, I've gotten the memo about the weight. Apparently every scamp seller I've reached so far has lied about the weight. Got it. But I pulled a loaded 16' uphill and it felt fine even with my little engine. Plus the 16's have brakes. I simply want to stay well below my 2000lbs hitch limit. Are there other lightweight trailer options? I can't find anything quoted lighter.

Are there any positive replies out there?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hi, Philly neighbor. You might end up finding that these eggs are not THE most common RVs around the east coast, and don't come up for sale in the same numbers they do in, say, the midwest, Canada, etc.

I ended up driving to Minnesota to get mine, but I also didn't have the patience to wait for one to emerge for sale closer to home, plus I'm dumb enough to buy from an internet stranger without first seeing what I'm getting into. That got me a trailer within one month of starting to shop. Granted, it also got me a squishy floor, questionable wiring, and a frame that needed a weld patch, but the rest has been all I wanted and more.

If you can expand your geographical parameters a couple hundred miles, that might give you more options.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Also, in case you haven't found this yet, it seems like most of the molded fiberglass trailers for sale in the world of north america turn up here: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

It's a handy site.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Philly View Post
Okay, I've gotten the memo about the weight. Apparently every scamp seller I've reached so far has lied about the weight. Got it. But I pulled a loaded 16' uphill and it felt fine even with my little engine. Plus the 16's have brakes. I simply want to stay well below my 2000lbs hitch limit. Are there other lightweight trailer options? I can't find anything quoted lighter.

Are there any positive replies out there?
Well it may be that the sellers dont realize they are incorrect regarding the weight of the trailer they are selling. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have never actually weighed their trailers. They may be going by the weight stickers provided by the manufacture which is what is called the dry weight but what they don't realize is that weight does not include any optional equipment which in many cases includes ac, bathroom, awning, fridge, propane tank or battery and of course none of your own belongings. Good rule of thumb to use when shopping for a trailer is to add another 600/700lbs to the dry weight to come up with a weight that is more realistic of what the trailer may actually weigh ready to camp.

In regards to your "2000lb hitch limit" I am going to assume this is your total towing capacity. Another spec to check that is equally as important and a good argument can be made as to why it is even more important is the vehicles tongue weight limit. The tongue limit is the limit the vehicle manufacture has set in regards to what they believe the cars rear end components and the hitch attachment points can withstand. Many cars with lighter tow capacity also have a fairly light tongue weight limit and historically trailers with bathrooms & AC etc. tend to come in heavier on the tongue as well.

On a positive note though if you look at the list of trailers on the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World you will see there are a number of trailer options that do meet your vehicles towing capacity. There are a number of U-haul's, Boler's, Burro, Hunter's and Scamps listed all under your weight restriction but you will need to stick to a 13' trailer with a porta potty.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah and tongue weight goes up fast. My ParkLiner was advertised with 1 20lb tank its 220lbs dry weighed it last weekend with 1 full tank and a mostly full 2nd tank it weighed 290lbs.

Their are some lighter weight fiberglass trailers....Compact 2 and jr for example... I was dumb I missed a chance at one of them about 2years ago for real cheap.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote