Willing to travel to buy. Call 608-849-7854
email: haberski[at]tds.net

Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Tom Haberski... There is one listed on the Escape trailer web site located in Toronto Ont. Canada. 2008 17B I think they want to go for a new 19'er. Tammy at Escape could put you in touch with the owners!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. the dollar is in your favour and could be worth while importing it into the U.S.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita, 1996 LD
Quote:
Hi: Tom Haberski... There is one listed on the Escape trailer web site located in Toronto Ont. Canada. 2008 17B I think they want to go for a new 19'er. Tammy at Escape could put you in touch with the owners!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. the dollar is in your favour and could be worth while importing it into the U.S.
Hi, I've been in contact with the Toronto area owner for weeks. It appears she believes I'm trying to scam her somehow due to the difficulties of the transaction......exchange rates, wiring money or using other methods of payment, border restrictions of $10K or more leaving or coming into either country, etc. The process has been very, very wearisome, and now looks kaput.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Tom, have you signed up for the EscapeForum? It's a new group that's only been going for a few months, but they're pretty active and very enthusiastic. Maybe someone there knows someone who knows someone? Certainly wouldn't hurt to try:
Click here for the EscapeForum

Be sure to come back and let us know how things go. We love to follow these stories
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
are these somehow related to bigfoot?? there is a bigfoot on craigslist in daytona beach that looks like the picture of an escape. only $7800.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Tom you might want to contact Reace and Tammy at Escape Trailers in Chilliwack. I know it is a bit of a trip for you, but there is a owner sale 2006 trailer there (it was there 3 weeks ago when we bought our owner sale trailer and I think it is still listed on the Escape web site). It is in very good condition.

Buying in Canada can be tricky, we went back to US and got cash and had to declare it and fill out papers on the border. There aren't restrictions, they just want to know when you bring that much money in what you have and why. Reace gave us some papers to show which helped a lot. Although this is an owner sale, our experience was that having the trailer parked at the Escape factory meant getting good guidance from Tammy and Reace who are experienced in selling trailers in the US. They are just very wonderful helpful people in general!

Don't get discouraged by the complications of buying in Canada, it is doable and with the exchange rate in favor of the US dollar (for now!) it is worth the hassles. We offered the owners US cash based on the rate the day we made the offer and they accepted, so we didn't have to get Canadian money, which turned out to be impossible. We had no luck at Canadian banks and US banks don't carry that much Canadian cash. Once we got the money thing worked out we had no problem bringing the trailer back and getting it all registered here.

Good luck in finding your Escape!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #7

No, there is no connection with the bigfoot on craigslist. And I have communicated with Tammy about the 2006 17B at their shop. Problem is, it's over 2,000 miles away. The Toronto one was 700.

I am aware of the methods of payment. One that banks offer is a "foreign deposit". It is a cashier-like check drawn in one currency and payable in another. Jez, PayPal could have worked. Her bank could have facilitated a credit card transaction. And yes, I had the customs forms to bring in/leave with more than $10k. I guess the owner was not flexible. She suggested wiring the money. When I asked for her bank info so I could set up wiring the money, she freaked. I'm spitting mad, as I was supposed to be leaving today with a friend to pick it up.

Funny part is, I'm the one who got taken. I spent $400 and over 3 days wiring a brake controller and working on a cold, hard garage floor and buying a load distribution hitch, which may or may not be needed if one comes with a used rig.

The US/Canada purchase from a private party is, I have learned, not a simple thing. I'm weary from it all.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
I'm weary from it all.
How frustrating and unfortunate. I can relate - the weekend we got our trailer I got tired of all the hassles with banks, border lines, and other little snafus that came up. But it was worth it in the end. Perhaps you will get recharged and the trip to Chilliwack won't seem so bad! You could make a vacation out of it! We almost drove from WA to MI for a second hand EggCamper at the factory there, same 2,000+ trip in reverse. EggCampers and Escapes were our top two picks.

You are way ahead in knowing all you know about the money transactions and hopefully something will come along. As you know by now used Escapes are not common, having not been made that long. And since they are made in Canada, though lots are sold in US, an 'older' one for sale is likely to be over the border.

As I was often consoled by folks here on the forum........the trailer for you will come along, be patient. Perhaps the one in Toronto just wasn't it.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
How frustrating and unfortunate. I can relate - the weekend we got our trailer I got tired of all the hassles with banks, border lines, and other little snafus that came up. But it was worth it in the end. Perhaps you will get recharged and the trip to Chilliwack won't seem so bad! You could make a vacation out of it! We almost drove from WA to MI for a second hand EggCamper at the factory there, same 2,000+ trip in reverse. EggCampers and Escapes were our top two picks.

You are way ahead in knowing all you know about the money transactions and hopefully something will come along. As you know by now used Escapes are not common, having not been made that long. And since they are made in Canada, though lots are sold in US, an 'older' one for sale is likely to be over the border.

As I was often consoled by folks here on the forum........the trailer for you will come along, be patient. Perhaps the one in Toronto just wasn't it.
Penney,

I just got back from a 4,000 mile, 2 week road trip vacation to Florida, wandering and tent camping. I'm sure my wife wouldn't have the vacation time for a drive to B.C. I do......unemployed and I guess retired. But 4K of solo driving is a bear. I'll just hang back....and look...I don't need the Escape for 8 months or so. I'm looking to use it for 6 weeks or so next winter to get out of the frozen, tundra wasteland of Wisconsin and head anywhere south.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #10

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Tom,
Banking in Canada is a little different. There are only 4 or 5 major banks. Each of them has arrangements with one of the US big banks for US$ transactions. Knowing who the sellers bank deals with in the USA might help.
I've bought bank cheques up here in US$ and they were written on a US bank.
Ask the seller to ask their banker the best way to handle the transaction and provide the name of your bank or vice versa. Everything seems more ominous than it turns out to be.
Roy
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #11

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Tom... So many horror stories here in Canada about bank fraud etc might just have the seller spooked.
My brother bought his current trailer from a dealer in Mich. and brought it over the border in a cake walk.
If you need a jumping off spot we are 1 hr. east of Pt.Huron Mich. and 1&1/2 hrs. west of Toronto. "Our Escape Hatch" is plugged in and useable and you'd be welcome to stay to finalize a deal...if that helps!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #12

Roy & Alf,

Thanks for your suggestions and offer. It appears the deal is kaput. I even offered cash, Canadian, and never heard back from the seller. I had been talking with her for almost 2 months, delaying the purchase due to winter, a vacation and time needed to get my tug set up. She pulled the plug 2 days before I was to leave to pick it up. She either sold it to someone else or has "issues". I'm set on an Escape and not in a rush, so I'm working the internet to find one.

Tags
escape