Wanted to buy: Fiberglass camper 13 feet - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Cosby
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Wanted to buy: Fiberglass camper 13 feet

Hello Everyone,

If you are selling your camper, and it fits the description below, I would be interested in hearing about it! I am a touring songwriter and singer, and have a Honda Civic four-door sedan. I am at a place in my work where I need traveling sleeping accommodations. That's where I'm sure this forum will be helpful! Thank you very much, hope you have a great day, and looking forward to hearing from you,
Cosby

Looking for:
Fiberglass camper, most any brand
13 feet
1000-1200 pounds, light
Dinette/bed
Second sleeping place/couch
Sink and it's cabinet
Closet/storage
No cooking stove necessary (have electric hot plate)
No propane necessary (sounds dangerous)
No refrigerator necessary (own one already)
No microwave (never use them)
No toilet necessary (don't want to clean it, lol)
No shower necessary (I use the gym)
No heat necessary (have an electric heater)
No air conditioner necessary (too heavy)
No awning, if possible (very cute, but too heavy)
Battery set up, if possible
Built-in fan would be nice
Major aspects in safe condition
Year somewhat unimportant as long as in safe condition
Price: around $1000 negotiable up or down accordingly
State of residence: New York. Can pick up.

Did I forget anything? Hope that's not too fussy =) Hope you have one for sale. Tell me what you think.
Cosby

Old 08-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
you might be interested?

Here is one on Ebay in your price range. BTW: I have no interest in this trailer or any others for sale here. Just noticed it.

Title on Ebay:
1976 SCAMP 13 FOOT
1976 13 foot SCAMP Camper (Easy Project)
Super difficult to find and ready to customize

Deb

Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

New York
Thank you very much, Deb! It is truly appreciated.
Looks wonderful, but a bit much of a project for me. I am somewhat handy, but not as much as required there. In any case, it is so nice of you to post this, thank you.

Hope you have a great day, and looking forward to speaking again soon =)
Cosby
Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
I rarely see any fiberglass trailer at that price level. When I do, they are HUGE projects. Maybe you should consider a pop-up. Read some of the rebuild threads. Those probably started with trailers in that price range. Unbelievable amount of work done on them.

There's some real talent in this forum.

Those posters have created "sweat equity" by putting time and skills to work. Beyond time and skills, it requires a work space.

Seller in my area wants $2600 for this one. He is not getting it. 1972 Scamp lovebug
Old 09-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Unfortunately as Bill states ones at that price either need to be put on a flat bed and towed home or you should wear a mask when going inside - big projects!

People do very occasionally get lucky and find an oldie in not bad condition but they wouldn't be found on here as there would be a stampede to purchase. More likely found after checking Craigslist etc repeatedly and setting up alerts or seeing it neglected in someones yard.
A sticky tent trailer may be the best option but at that price point they still may be pretty rough.
Good luck in your search and hope you find a gem.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "Tell me what you think."

WOW, you sure have a lot of reasons for NOT wanting the usual stuff found in a trailer, ( to reduce purchase price?). However, FGRV's like that are usually listed as projects and you will at least double you investment to get going down the road

But, that said, it looks like you are planning to be connected to 120 volt power all the time. If so, you will need a good friend everyplace you overnight, because doing that in campgrounds isn't cheap or easy.

And LP gas isn't "Dangerous", about 98% of us (WAG) use it without problem.

As mentioned, even project FGRV's in that price range usually don't even last hours after posting.

Good luck
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
This year, fibreglass trailers seem to be in the $5000 to $7000 range. Even if they are fixer uppers.

As a fanatical trailer hoarder, I have paid much less, but I can't be considered typical. I shop every day, multiple times a day, and I live in very fertile trailer territory.

I have a unit that has a collapsed roof that I would consider selling for that price:
I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now

There is this one in Michigan:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Trilliu...m=181852245232

But since $1125 has not met their minimum, it may also be out of your price range.

Also out of your price range, but in Canada, so do the currency conversion and it is actually $2650:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true
Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

New York
Thank you very much everyone! It's great to have such good input. Guess I set the price because a friend of mine got her Scamp in Minnesota for $1,200, and it was simply moldy. She cleaned it and it's great. (year 1975 I believe).

I list few features because I probably won't use them, and want to stay light weight. I'm hoping a marine battery will work for electrical needs.

A pop-up could work, but it would have to have hard sides. Want to stay safe from weather, intruders, animals. I've also looked into cargo trailers, but finding it hard to imagine myself sleeping/living in one. Guess I'm more civilized than I thought, haha.

Thank you very much again! Hope we speak soon. Have a magnificent Labor Day weekend!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Have you seen what people do to the inside of cargo trailers? There are some REALLY nice conversions out there. Then, you could make it as light as you need and won't be paying for things that are pretty standard like a stove. There's a bit more "stealth" in where you can camp in one, too...

I've been looking for a while, and finally paid $4k for mine. I haven't seen anything under $3500 in my area (or an area where the gas/time costs don't eat up the difference).

You may find it easier to find a teardrop (plus lighter and with none of the things you don't want in general).

Check out the fridge threads onusing a 12volt fridge on batteries; you won't be able to use the fridge you have on batteries, likely...have to buy a new one, and they only last a few days without recharging....propane may be your best bet, or cheap....afood quality cooler refilled with ice every couple days.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

New York
Hi Zennifer,
Nice to speak with you! Thanks very much for the information.
Yes, the cargo trailers can be amazing, I think it's my pride getting in the way, lol.

I like your refridge ideas, thx. One of my friends lives off the grid, and she uses a crock filled with wet sand. Bury the item (wrapped) in the wet sand. It really stays cool! Maybe too warm for meats, but certainly good for produce and some dairy.

Part of me wants a camper right now, lol, and another part wants to take careful time to choose. I hope it resolves soon, lol

Congrats on your camper! Have you posted it on this forum? Would love to see pictures.

Hope you have a great day
Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #11

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
We used a 5 day Coleman xtreme cooler with our canned ham, and we had cold, cold food and beer for 5 days, as promised. I wouldn't trust mayo, but the cheese was as cheese should be, extra veggies made it back to the fridge with no loss of quality. Much lighter than a fridge, too. (Fridges are HEAVY...we tow with a minivan now, so we are willing to tow the weight of a fridge, but when we towed with our subaru, we were happy to have NO fridge)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #12

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Mayo gets a bad rap, but it's made with vinegar and vinegar is used to preserve foods by pickling. Ever see that gallon jar of pickled eggs sitting on a counter in a bar? In potato salad, it's actually the potatoes that you need to watch out for.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
From the folks that should know about Potatoes and Potato Salad....
Idaho Potato Commission

And Dometic RM-2351 has an installed weight of 68 lbs, not all that much more than a cooler with a 15 or 20 lb block of ice.
http://www2.dometic.com/80ad5719-911...4253fbe7.fodoc
Old 09-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
YOu way also want to check out the 'real' trailer weights listing. Getting a trailer in your price range, in good shape, and as light as you need it not a simple task.
Trailer Weights in the Real World