WANTED: Trails West Campster or Compact II Fiberglass RV Trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Cassidy
Trailer: In the market
California
WANTED: Trails West Campster or Compact II Fiberglass RV Trailer

Looking for a Trails West Campster or Compact II (by Hunter) lightweight fiberglass RV trailer. Will consider any condition and within roughly 500 miles of Los Angeles. Can pay cash or can trade my restored 1973 Apache Mesa hard-side popup trailer.

Thank you very much for your time.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hunter Wanted

There are several, including a few in CA, listed here:

Other Fiberglass Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Bob Miller
Riverside, CA

Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #3

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Washington
Trails West Campster

I am a newbie on here and I have just acquired a Campster, but that was in Washington. I had been looking for an old lightweight trailer that I could afford for a while. I always ended up trailerless as I live a ways from the main centers. Anyway, I was doing a job (I have a tree service) and got to talking to the neighbor. Noticed a Campster in the back yard. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He told me I need to get it off the property that day. Well, it is stripped. He had taken the insides out and used it for a jobsite trailer. Plus he had lost the title, never had changed ownership since he bought it, and was towing it with 1996 tabs. Anyway, it is mine now and one heck of a project that I will need an awful lot of help on.
Back to the original subject in this thread. All of a sudden here are two Campsters in this area. Haven't seen one in the past 3 years.
Compact campster trailer
1970s Campster trailer

Cheers folks
Neville
Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #4

California
Hoping that you have a signed Bill of Sale from the seller, the very 1st thing I would do is either go to the local licensing office or to an independent registering service and start getting a clear title. More that one recovered trailer has suddenly become a money pit or non-registerable, after the new owner poured a lot of money and labor into repairs.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Wow.. $10,000? That's the most expensive one I've ever seen, and not as nice as the $9600 one.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

California
I guess that $10,000 Campster takes the annual award for chutzpa. Maybe the seller is just poking the marketplace to see what bids they receive.

A very basic Campster, even in perfect condition, should fetch somewhere in the $3-4k range on a very good day in June.

But Wait... I just reread the ad and saw that it included two (count em' TWO) matching folding chairs. So, raise my above estimate at least $25.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Wow.. $10,000? That's the most expensive one I've ever seen, and not as nice as the $9600 one.
I like these little trailers but $10,000 is ridiculous. $5,000 is pushing it as far as I'm concerned -- and that would have to be one that has been refurbished extensively!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
I am a newbie on here and I have just acquired a Campster, but that was in Washington. I had been looking for an old lightweight trailer that I could afford for a while. I always ended up trailerless as I live a ways from the main centers. Anyway, I was doing a job (I have a tree service) and got to talking to the neighbor. Noticed a Campster in the back yard. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He told me I need to get it off the property that day. Well, it is stripped. He had taken the insides out and used it for a jobsite trailer. Plus he had lost the title, never had changed ownership since he bought it, and was towing it with 1996 tabs. Anyway, it is mine now and one heck of a project that I will need an awful lot of help on.
Back to the original subject in this thread. All of a sudden here are two Campsters in this area. Haven't seen one in the past 3 years.
Compact campster trailer
1970s Campster trailer

Cheers folks
Neville
Thank you for sharing those trailers. They are both about 1,200 miles from me though.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There are several, including a few in CA, listed here:

Other Fiberglass Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Bob Miller
Riverside, CA
Thank you. I am familiar with that other site. The Hesperia trailer is close enough but is a Compact Jr. The others are significantly farther than 500 miles away. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #10

California
Errrr,,, A Compact Jr. and a Campster are almost identical in size, shape and outside appearance. The somewhat different Compact-I & Compact-II are identical in outside shape and appearance but differ in trim levels inside.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Errrr,,, A Compact Jr. and a Campster are almost identical in size, shape and outside appearance. The somewhat different Compact-I & Compact-II are identical in outside shape and appearance but differ in trim levels inside.
Almost identical but not quite. I ruled out the Compact Jr. early in my search. I do not want the pop-top to run the entire length as the Compact Jr. does. I also prefer the windows used in the Campster/Compact. I have also heard that the Campster (my preference) has a slightly longer bed, which is what I need since I am not short.

Thank you.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Hoping that you have a signed Bill of Sale from the seller, the very 1st thing I would do is either go to the local licensing office or to an independent registering service and start getting a clear title. More that one recovered trailer has suddenly become a money pit or non-registerable, after the new owner poured a lot of money and labor into repairs.
Have Bill of Sale. I need to get tires that hold air long enough before I take it to the State Patrol. It will be cleared and in my name before I invest any time and money in it. I am old enough to have been there, done that and paid the price. Mostly I am a quick learner, specially when the cost of education is high.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 AM   #13

Washington
So I have this stripped Campster that has a window missing, or rather the sliding part is. The seals are contracting and pulling out of the frame on the others. There is nothing in the trailer except the remnants of primitive shelving. I assume that the squared section is the Dinette/Bed area so I have to build the seats to fit into that space? I still have the water connection and can guess where the power comes in. There is a vent on either side. I am guessing the large one is for the fridge but there is the range hood vent on the roof right over that. There is nothing on the walls. I wonder if I should use the diamond tack or just carpet like some Casitas have. I have used both on boats and I am not really into carpeting the whole thing.
Lots of questions and will have a lot more. My woodworking experience is more on the tree cutting side.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #14

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Campster: front has the bed, two benches, each 24 inches by 6 feet, 2 feet aisle, table was four feet long so last two feet without table. Water tank on the left side under the bench. Then left side had the two burner stove, no oven, and sink. Solid support between bed and galley. Coleman lamp on left side, up in the corner of the bed compartment. Under the sink, two cabinets, under the stove, two drawers, then a cabinet made smaller by the wheel well. Right side, same support wall, fridge or icebox at the top, two drawers, and the partial cabinet as on the left, then another small cabinet at the bottom back and a tall closet. Mine does not have any vents as it has an icebox and no vent on the stove side, either.

I think it was available insulated or not- diamond stuff seems to have been original. Floor was linoleum. Plywood under that extended part way under the cabinets (as did the linoleum) so both must have gone down first. Mine had no insulation in any cabinets but I added it behind the food cabinets and behind the icebox.

Tags
campster, trails west