Wanting a Parkliner trailer. - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Name: Tammy
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Thought we wanted a Parkliner. Looking for trailer with largest bed.....

We are new to the Fiberglass Camping world. Looking for a trailer that will accommodate 2 tall people. Double beds do not work for us. We don't need a toilet but do need a porta-potty (area). We have tent camped all our lives but this old lady says it's time for a camper and bathroom (in the middle of the night). We like the compact campers and are open to any suggestions that fit the bill. If you have one for sale or suggestions that might suit us, we appreciate the reach out. Regards. Mimi from SW MO.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I wonder why a Parkliner in particular? What is it about a Parkliner instead of any one of a number of similar trailers? Speaking only for myself, I would hesitate to buy a trailer made by a company that is out of business when there are other similar trailers made by companies that have been be around for a long time and can be expected to in business for some time.
So if you are so inclined, I would be interested in hearing why Parkliner.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

Missouri
Gordon-I'm confused. I didn't know Parkliner was out of business. They have a website that is active and has contact information. Where did you hear or find out they are out of business?
To answer your question about why a Parkliner is because according to their website, they have a queen size bed and only 15 ft long. My husband is 6'5" and I'm 5'10". We don't fit in most compact travel trailers, although that is what we want. And of course, from everything I am reading, Fiberglass is the way to go. We are new to the travel trailer world. My husband retired a year ago and I have another year. Once I retire, we are hitting the road. Doing our homework now on trying to find a slightly used travel trailer around 17-18 feet in length. If you have any other suggestions as a vetted travel trailer camper, I would love to hear suggestions. Regards, mimitjc
Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why Parkliner?... U-shaped main dinette converts to a true queen bed, separate small. dinette converts to bunks for two full-size people, full wet bath, 6' 5" headroom, 3/4" plywood floor, not OSB, wraparound overhead cabinets... all in 15' overall length!

Customer service and design bugs aside, Parkliner was an amazing feat of packaging.

Most of the components are garden variety RV and hardware store stock, so buying an orphan trailer is not nearly as risky as buying, say, an orphan car. Consider all the vintage models from legacy manufacturers still in service...
Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Missouri
Jon-Help us out. What trailers would those be? I thought a Casita Liberty. They tout a king size configuration. We are new to the search. Husband is retired and I will be in a year and then we are hitting the road. We want something small but big enough to comfortably sleep the 2 of us and maybe a grandchild occasionally-they can sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag though! LOL. I would love to hear from anyone who is vetted in the Compact Travel Trailer world experience. Regards.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitjc View Post
Gordon-I'm confused. I didn't know Parkliner was out of business. They have a website that is active and has contact information. Where did you hear or find out they are out of business?
To answer your question about why a Parkliner is because according to their website, they have a queen size bed and only 15 ft long. My husband is 6'5" ...
Ahh I see... finding a bed for a 6' 5"guy in a fiberglass trailer will be a challenge.

I am 6 even and fit OK in the Scamp Dinette bed, but I like to stretch out so I sleep diagonally. Thats the only way I fit comfortably.

Respectfully suggest that you do some reading up on Parkliner.. plenty of info in this forum. Sounds like its a great trailer in many ways but the state of the business is another matter.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sorry about the accidental duplicate post…

Parkliner is indeed out of business: Is Parkliner Out of Business?

Used ones do come up for sale from time to time. It is one of very few out there that can truly accommodate tall people. But if you still want to consider one, you would do well to review the old threads about some of the design issues. Most of the major bugs were worked out in the later builds, but buying used, you may run into some of them, including tire rub, AC and battery set-up, and door hinges. A Google site search on "Parkliner" should turn up lots of information (blue bar at top under your log-in information, "Search," and go all the way down to "Site Search/Google").

Regarding legacy manufacturers… If you go to the top of the screen, there is a tab that says "Manufacturers" above your log-in information. There you will find a list of current and legacy manufacturers. Parkliner has not been moved. Production has been suspended and the business is for sale, so we're waiting to see what happens. The web site is still up… light is on but no one is home, as they say.

Trailers for taller people… as said, that's a toughie in the molded fiberglass world. Know that "king size" and "queen size" rarely mean what they mean at home. You have to take it on a case-by-case basis and find out the actual dimensions. This thread on Bed Sizes may be of some help in your search.

Among current manufacturers, EggCamper and Lil Snoozy have head-room and bed-room, but they're both all-electric, a big disadvantage for many folks who like to dry camp. The Casita Liberty has bed-room but limited head-room, especially in the 16' version (5'10"). Vintage models from Hunter and Campster have a pop top for headroom and fairly good-sized beds, but they're really meant for two people only. Three will be a squeeze.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
With 85 units built over the 5 years they were in production, finding one might be a task.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Missouri
Thanks everyone for the input on the Parkliner. Sounds like it's not a good option for us after all. So back to looking for a Casita 17" Liberty. Anyone out there have one of those for sale?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Lil Snoozy

The Lil Snoozy has a 6ft 4in headroom and most have a Queen size bed they are just over 18ft . Go to Lil Snoozy.com Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
I'm searching for the eggcamper, I want the all electric. Some older models do have the LP gas though, there is one in Alaska and one in Fla. currently for sale, but they are out of my reach or have the LP gas I don't want. Have fun searching, I think that is part of the fun!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Tammy, I have a 2014 Parkliner and a 6"3' husband who can stand comfortably in the Parkliner and doesn't feel cramped. This trailer had the only configuration of height and bed size that I found. I looked for 2 years before ordering my PL. Jon is right that some of the older models had some design issues that you need to be aware of but the newer ones are wonderful. There were 2 or 3 that came up for sale this year so keep looking. I just adore my trailer and feel that it is so well designed and built. Everywhere I go people want to see the trailer and every person is amazed at how roomy she is inside. The materials used are wonderful, no stinky chemical odor that so many trailers have, pulls like a dream and is always a sure conversation starter no matter where you go. Please don't discount the PL, I think if you are lucky enough to find one you will be so very happy.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I'm searching for the eggcamper, I want the all electric. Some older models do have the LP gas though, there is one in Alaska and one in Fla. currently for sale, but they are out of my reach or have the LP gas I don't want. Have fun searching, I think that is part of the fun!
No one says you have to use the propane just because you have it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Missouri
Pat-thanks for the words of encouragement. Another member has mentioned the problems with older models. I'm wondering exactly what an older model is? What year(s) should we be looking for? Thanks for your insight.

Tags
parkliner