wanting to own fiberglass - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: Lynny
Trailer: currently shopping
Illinois
wanting to own fiberglass

Greetings to all - I am looking for a scamp or casita, with a bathroom and a bigger bed if possible. Needs to be great shape, willing to travel about 350 miles from the chicago area. other fiberglass brands considered-thanks!!!!!!!have been looking a long time! (16ft or more)

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn in Illinois View Post
Greetings to all - I am looking for a scamp or casita, with a bathroom and a bigger bed if possible. Needs to be great shape, willing to travel about 350 miles from the chicago area. other fiberglass brands considered-thanks!!!!!!!have been looking a long time! (16ft or more)
Take a ride over to Grand Rapids and check out Jim Palmer's EggCamper. It's a bit wider than Casita or Scamp which translates into a bigger bed. EggCamper web site: LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think that you may have to extend your search radius.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Illinois
Wanting to own fiberglass Lynn in Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Take a ride over to Grand Rapids and check out Jim Palmer's EggCamper. It's a bit wider than Casita or Scamp which translates into a bigger bed. EggCamper web site: LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER.
Hi Ron

I did consider the egg-camper, looks very well put together, but no windows on either the front or back- even in out very tiny t@b, we have three sides of windows which makes it feel not-claustrofobic at all. And then what about boondocking with no propane, do you use a generator? I love how light it must seem, just don't know about being limited to electric. The owner was wonderful to speak with, If they just kept competitive with the price, added a third side of windows, and a propane tank......... Thanks for the suggestions! Happy camping!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Illinois
Wanting to own fiberglass in Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I think that you may have to extend your search radius.
Greetings Greg!
I think you are very right about extending my radius search-have been looking for nearly a year, have cash, and always miss the deal- guess I have to make it my FULL_TIME job, (ha, ha) My husband says we should just order from the factory before we get too old to go camping!! Thanks for your imput! Happy camping to you
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Greetings Greg!
I think you are very right about extending my radius search-have been looking for nearly a year, have cash, and always miss the deal- guess I have to make it my FULL_TIME job, (ha, ha) My husband says we should just order from the factory before we get too old to go camping!! Thanks for your imput! Happy camping to you
Lynn, I drove just over a thousand miles each way for mine, but I do live two hundred miles away from any big city so that adds to the distance. Keep searching and good luck.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
Hi Ron

I did consider the egg-camper, looks very well put together, but no windows on either the front or back- even in out very tiny t@b, we have three sides of windows which makes it feel not-claustrofobic at all. And then what about boondocking with no propane, do you use a generator? I love how light it must seem, just don't know about being limited to electric. The owner was wonderful to speak with, If they just kept competitive with the price, added a third side of windows, and a propane tank......... Thanks for the suggestions! Happy camping!
Hi Lynn,
Jim used to offer a propane version of the EggCamper. He also used to offer the EggCamper as a kit. Orlen Wolfe (member on this forum) got the kit and installed propane in his. As for the front or rear window, I really don't miss either one. Perhaps it's the spacious interior that makes that less of an issue for me.

BTW, I do have a small honda 2000i generator, but seldom use it. I'm actually planning to add solar as an alternative to carting around the generator and having to deal with a gas can. I'm also considering adding a propane furnace. The Atwood Everest Star Furnace 8012-II looks like it will fit in the same space as the existing electric heater and is very efficient (electrically).

Anyway, keep shopping for your rig. No matter what you wind up with, fiberglass is the way to go.

Ron
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Having been in Orlen and Carolyn's Egg Camper, honestly I don't remember no front or back window being an issue. The interior is so much bigger than our Casita that maybe that is why the no back window didn't bother me. So you may want to go check them out.

I too traveled over a thousand miles to buy a used trailer. Frankly I was willing to drive anywhere to get one at that point. But I can say, it was worth every mile......................

Find the trailer that best suits your camping style and enjoy it! Good luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14
i drove over 2 thousand kilometers to get my surfside a year ago and going there to portage la prarie manitba and back makes this unit even more valuble to my wife and myself.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
You'd only have to expand your radius 200 miles or so to order and pick up a brand new Scamp in Backus. (570 miles from the loop). My aunt and uncle enjoyed their Scamp for over a decade...
I never noticed the lack of a rear window in the EggCamper til you pointed it out. That's a big miss. Most of the time, we're backed into the "view" of the campsite (lake, seashore, river), and I'd sure miss that without the rear "picture window."
Sherry
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #11

Illinois
fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
You'd only have to expand your radius 200 miles or so to order and pick up a brand new Scamp in Backus. (570 miles from the loop). My aunt and uncle enjoyed their Scamp for over a decade...
I never noticed the lack of a rear window in the EggCamper til you pointed it out. That's a big miss. Most of the time, we're backed into the "view" of the campsite (lake, seashore, river), and I'd sure miss that without the rear "picture window."
Sherry
Thanks Sherry for that info-- we have thoght of a new casita, it wold be about 18,000 and the scamp, I am not sure- probably in the 16 to 17 thousand price tag- We currently own a 2008 T@B TQ, which we love the queen size sleep area, but yearn for an indoor toilet when the weather is cold. I think the T@B could sell for about 11,500.00 or near that, so trying to find something comperable within that range. I see we will have to travel quite a distance, unless we get very lucky, the deal is always gone, even though I have checked and rechecked almost daily! Sigh, the windows are VERY important to me- somewhat claustrophobic, and why camp when yo can't get the panorama view? Thanks for yor advice, and happy camping! Lynn
Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Lynn - We have our 2010 Scamp 16 foot layout 4 for sale for $14,500 and this price includes delivery up to 500 miles with additional miles open for discussion. If you want to come to Hattiesburg, MS to get it, the price is $13,900. It is listed on this site in the for sale section.