We just put a deposit down on the 19' Bigfoot! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #1

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
The owners informed us that local dealer, Kersti Clark, apparently drove out there and paid for the unit in cash. So we are still in the market for one...

Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #2

Arizona
Registry
Thanks KJ for going by to look at it...maybe the next one will be the one for us!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Oh MY Gosh!!!

What a

I guess I can't really post what I would like to say. Lets hope that there was something wrong with it and that she actually is saving you from the headache!!! RRrrrrrrr
Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #4

Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Registry
Are you referring to the one in Victoria? If so, we went to see it thinking we would like something a "little" larger than our 17' Boler. The photo of the outside was the best part of it. The owners were a very nice family and I think we actually were trying to "talk ourselves into purchasing it" but in reality it wasn't for us. Obviously it wasn't meant for you either - don't feel bad - there is always something "perfect for you" - you just have not found it yet!!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Are you referring to the one in Victoria?
It was in Saanich. It's alright, we do believe in Divine Timing and when the time is right, our perfect trailer will manifest. There was apparently a lot of interest in this unit, so if one person hadn't gotten it, likely someone else would have.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
If you're willing to travel, see: Bigfoot 19 Kitchener
Bigfoot 19 Vancouver
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
If you're willing to travel, see: Bigfoot 19
Bigfoot 19 Vancouver
We are definitely willing to travel, and were all over that one ten days ago... it is sold. Wish they would take the ads off when these things sell, because then one has to sift through all the solds and try to remember which were which.

Thank you though. If anyone does come across a 19' Bigfoot, we would greatly appreciate if you would email us instead of posting it here because clearly some dealers are using this forum to get leads on private sales and then snap them up for commercial purposes. I have nothing against dealers making a living, but to me this is more of a users' forum where individuals try to help each other locate and learn to care for their trailers not with the idea of it being a business, but more as a community sharing resources. Selling and buying a trailer as an individual is quite different than being a dealer.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
UPDATE

Kersti Clark called me about an hour ago to let me know that she did in fact purchase the Saanich trailer and, because I had been in contact with her previously looking for a 19' and had actually called her to ask if they would do an inspection on the Saanich one, she said that she was willing to sell it to us at cost, just adding the $399 cost to certify it and $80 to get the propane tanks certified.

The background is that I had been in contact with her about a week ago or more in reference to a 21' that they had listed and told her at that time that we really wanted a 19' travel trailer because we felt more confident that we could safely tow that length and weight. She didn't have any on her lot but was going to look into leads and said that she would do inspections on any private party sale item we found, that it was extra side business for her and helped her get good referrals.

I didn't hear back, so kept looking on my own and, according to the counter on the UsedVictoria website, I was the first person to email the owners of the 19' in Saanich. They may have had it listed elsewhere as well. As soon as I saw the unit in Saanich, I posted to this forum and asked for a pair of eyes. While waiting for a response, I called Southwestern RV and spoke with Kersti's assistant, Kelly, about what they would charge. She was going to check with Kersti and call back, but we didn't hear back and then when we called the owners to let them know that a forum member had agreed to check it out for us, the owners informed us that they had just sold it--to Kersti.

Needless to say, with some of the things we had heard and read, we felt a bit let down. But this phone call from Kersti has renewed my optimism.--it seems quite possible that this dealer doesn't merit the bad rap she's gotten on the Boler website. We just put a deposit down on the "previously Saanich area" 19' Bigfoot trailer by credit card over the phone and Kelly just called me to let me know that she is faxing us a receipt for our deposit and the Bill of Sale, along with more detailed photos of the interior by email. Because it's raining there right now, they will be emailing detailed exterior photos as soon as the rain stops.

We will be driving up to get our trailer as soon as my partner can take some vacation time, which will be soon. We are very excited and I will keep forum members apprised of the progress of this transaction. I feel optimistic that we will be able report a very positive experience a la fin! (Mais oui, tous vous Canadiens, je parle francais aussi)!

Thanks to everyone on this forum!
Val
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
UPDATE

Before signing the contract for sale, I called the prior owners to confirm that the vin# on the purchase contract was the same as the one for their trailer. They confirmed that it was and mentioned that Kersti had bought their unit for $9,000 cash. She had told them that she was a dealer and would be glad to make $1,000 on a quick sale. That's alright with us, because it would have been difficult for us to buy a unit up there from a private party since we can't exactly be the first in line with cash in hand. Kersti knew from our prior contact that we were expecting to pay around $10K for a 19 footer because we had seen two other listings in that price range (one was considerably newer, a 1992, and had been garaged all its life, but one was around the same era), so she kept her price within our range (well, with taxes, the $399 certification PDI fee and $80 propane certification, it comes out a little over 11K, but we'd be paying those taxes and fees buying from any other dealer too).

Dealers have to make a living too and upon looking closer at her website, unlike many dealers, she seems to sell a lot of used units, which probably earn a lower overall profit margin than brand new ones (if you read the RV Consumer's Guide to Buying an RV, you will get a sense of how terribly inflated the MSRPs are on new models). As it is, even through private party sales, Bigfoot models usually sell for more than their NADA retail value. So, I have no problem with a dealer making enough margin to earn a living and stay in business and will keep you posted on how the rest of the transaction proceeds.

Kersti told me when we first spoke that the pre-delivery inspection and certification cost of $399 is for her dealership going through the unit and certifying that everything is in working order before we take delivery of it. She said that if anything that they certify breaks down when we get home, then her dealership will pay for it to be repaired here in AZ because her dealership inspected it and certified that it worked fine. She said that for people who buy from her in Canada, she has a team of technicians that travel to wherever a sold unit is that needs repair under this certification warranty. Perhaps we will hear from some satisfied customers of Kersti's and we certainly hope to be able to count ourselves among them.

Val
Old 07-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
We have planned our route up to Canada and will be arriving the first weekend of August to pick up our new-to-us 1988 19 foot Bigfoot TT from SouthwesternRV on Vancouver Island. We feel like expectant parents getting ready for a new baby--I have attached some photos of our soon-to-be pride and joy, and am sifting through old posts and threads for details on how to repaint fiberglass, where to get replacement parts, etc. Will be posting a few questions to which I haven't found answers (I am sure that the answers are tucked in this website somewhere, but I have yet to uncover them).

Val

Name:   sold.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  24.1 KB
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
UPDATE:

I have emailed SouthwesternRV dealer Kersti Clark requesting clarification of the following items that several forum members have been asking me about:

1. What does the $399 pre-delivery inspection/certification & $80 propane certification of our 19 footer include?

Will the bearings be checked and repacked? Will the propane tanks be replaced if they are shot (which the original owners had said they were)? Will you ensure that the trailer brakes, lights and everything else are in safe working condition and that all appliances function? Will you replace any minor parts that need it (filters, washers, etc.)? Will we get a detailed written inspection report so that we are aware of any items that may need future attention? Does this include a walk-about and hitching up the trailer properly before we leave? I will be purchasing the tow mirrors and an Equalizer hitch here in the U.S., because several of the Canadian forum members have noted that these items are much more expensive in Canada.

You had mentioned on the phone that this PDI/Certification means that if something stops working that you have certified, you will actually repair it if the customer is in your area, or pay to repair it if they are not. How long is that certification warranty good for: i.e. until 30 days after purchase?

2. Will you be helping us with all the necessary paperwork to ensure that we can get back home without additional charges and delays? We've learned through my partner's law office coworkers and several experienced forum members that Canadian plates get removed from the vehicle before it leaves the country. So, we need to make sure that we have the necessary paperwork completed prior to departure from your dealership to legally get us through Canada and back to AZ.

The AZ Motor Vehicle Dept. only cares that we bring the trailer in to register and get it inspected within 10 days of our arrival back to AZ. Your assistant Kelly said that she thought we could use the "Roadrunner Services" that you frequently turn to in order to take care of all of that at no additional charge or that we could go to a bank (?) of our choosing--can you please explain this in more detail?

I am awaiting Kersti's response, and hopefully will be able to address several of the questions that have been brought up and which we still had about the process. Many of these are great questions to ask of any dealer as part of the buying process.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
UPDATE:

Kersti Clark emailed me back first thing this morning with a detailed and helpful reply. She also looked up a number of local offices that I can contact for more information on temporary permits and border requirements. At this point, I do feel confident that all will go very well and will keep the forum updated, so that anyone else considering such a purchase and excursion can benefit from what we learn. Kersti's responses to the questions asked above are listed below, edited only for brevity:

[...]
1. We will check the bearings and if they need repacking we will do so. We make sure that the propane tanks on all of the units we sell are up to date. If regulations require that they be changed, we will change them. It is very important for us to make sure that the trailer is safe. Safety is our number one priority. We do check the lights to make sure that they are in working order. We do the best we can in making sure that your unit is in good operating order.

We ask all of our customers to take into consideration that you are not buying a 2007/2008 trailer and consideration needs to be made for the fact that this trailer is almost 20 years old. You do receive a written inspection report prepared by the technician working on your unit which should indicate everything to be in proper working order. I am certain that if there was a concern of any time, the technician would indicate such on your paperwork. My technicians do not generally work on the weekends and I would prefer one of them to be present when you pick up your trailer. Then a walk about will be able to be given you and they will be able to assist you in properly hooking up your trailer.

Therefore, the trailer should be picked up Monday through Friday and we'd like to know when you are coming so that the technician is available for you without delays. Also, the weekend that you have selected to come is a holiday weeking here in B.C. That means that we will not have a technician on staff on Monday either. I have one tech "on call" for me, and if you feel that you are arriving on Sunday or Monday, I will check with him as to his plans, and see if he would be available to come in "after hours, such as that Holiday weekend" to answer any questions you might have and assist you in hooking up your trailer. I will need to see if he is available for this before you come, so please let me know your approximate arrival plans.

2. Your pre-delivery inspection is just that, a certification that everything in the trailer is in working order when you pick it up. The certification that is given is an official British Columbia Propane Safety Sticker indicating that the propane systems have been safety checked and are in good working order. Should there be any safety related issue unresolved upon your return to Arizona, we will have a licensed, certified technician from the U.S. look at it at our expense, and yes, 30 days would be an accepted amount of time for you to discover any "safety concerns" with the trailer.

If there are other concerns you have that you do not discover while you are on our beautiful Island, then I will address those on a case by case basis. I would prefer that since you have indicated that you will be camping during your stay here, that will give you an opportunity to use the trailer, and you should be able to note if there is something that is not working. Unfortunately, for a trailer older than 10 years old, there is no "coach" warranty available for any length of time, or I would encourage you to obtain one.

3. My suggestion to you would be that since [your partner] is part of a law firm that handles international law, that you obtain legal representation from them or another reputable firm to assure yourselves that you are able to bring this trailer in to the U.S. I have no personal experience whatsoever in purchasing from Canada and bringing the travel trailer in to the U.S. This is something that you will have to take care of yourself so that you will be satisfied with the outcome. Incidentally, I am also unaware of the necessary stemps when bringing a trailer in to Canada to remain here, although that happens with a certain degree of frequency here because of our close proximity to the U.S. Customers of mine that do that obtain all of the necessary information prior to departing for the U.S. to pick up their purchase (for instance if they buy something off Ebay or ?). We are not lawyers and can not be responsible for information that could potentially be incorrect. Please obtain good solid legal advice so that you have accurate information for taking this trailer back to the U.S. We want the purchase to be smooth for you.

In regards to the "Roadrunner Services" that we use (and yes there is no additional charge for their services), let me explain how they are used. Sussex/Pringle Insurance out of Duncan, B.C. sends an insurance agent down to our office to make the transfer from Southwest R.V. and Sport Ltd.to the potential buyers. The buyers can purchase insurance or simply a day(s)permit to transport the unit. The unit is transferred out of Southwest R.V.'s name and into name(s) of your choosing. You are provided with the B.C. trailer plate if you fully insure it at that time. [...] I was not aware, nor had I ever heard, of plates being removed and remaining in Canada. I find legal advice
invaluable. [...]

Should you run in to any particular problems that you cannot resolve, please let us know. We try very hard to make sure that our customers are happy. If the issue cannot be resolved, please inform us promptly and we will be happy to refund your deposit in it's entirety. [...]
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #13

Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Registry
Glad to see that everything is working out well for you!! You have not mentioned insuring the trailer (separate from licensing) so just wanted to let you know that we have our trailer insured under our homeowners policy and the yearly fee for a $7,000 value is around $60 per year!
Also noted that you will be here (BC) during the long weekend in Aug and will be camping locally. It would probably be a good idea to reserve camping space as it is a very busy camping weekend around here!
Enjoy - the Island is beautiful!!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Yes, thank you! I posted more info on our travel and camping plans in the General Chat Thread--and request for confirmation of the accuracy of our directions from any of you locals who know the roads well.

We are getting temporary permit & insurance, title and transfer papers completed, an HS-7 Form at the Border and then will will complete the reg process upon arrival home.

Tags
bigfoot