Worth driving 10 hours to look? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Worth driving 10 hours to look?

I am looking at a Boler 13 foot and there are some interior areas that would need work. I am not experienced with this type of trailer and was hoping someone who is could look at the attached photos. Please, let me know if these areas are possibly serious problems. I don't want to waste 10 hours of my life driving to look at the trailer if I don't have to. I am particularly concerned with the area above the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (2).jpg  

s-l1600.jpg  

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Hopefully a Boler owner will join in. That may just be loose "carpet" rather than a structural problem.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
You are looking at loose ensolite possibly caused by water intrusion through rivets or through the roof vent. These problems are relatively easy/cheap to correct compared to:

- axle replacement (pretty likely if its the original axle)
- frame cracks and rust through

In a vintage FGRV, there are many other items to check including:

- Leaking window frames
- Rusted out frame bolts
- rotten wood in the subfloor
- coupler and chain condition
- running lights
- interior electrical, battery and converter
- propane lines and components
- water lines and components
- tires, wheel bearing, brakes

The list goes on. All of these issues are covered extensively in this forum.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

New Hampshire
Thanks John. I wasn't sure what I was seeing in the photos for this type of camper. My limited experience has been with the standard "stick" type campers so I know to check the other things you listed. I know in a "stick" camper, if I saw similar things as in the photos I would probably stay away. I've seen enough water damage on the "stick" campers, including one I bought to restore many years ago, to know what the signs are.

One of the reasons I finally joined this forum is the helpful members. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
OK, great Alex.

The problems in your photos were probably caused by water leaks through rivets or through the roof vent itself. Rivets in the roof area are used for the roof vent, curtain rods, awning rail and drip cap over the door. Another much less likely possibility would be water intrusion through a crack or hole in the fiberglass. Once the leaks are fixed, just clean and re-glue the ensolite.

-John

EDIT: Rivets are also used to attach upper cabinets.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Hi, Alex. Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to drive 10 hours to go look, be ready to buy. I drove 7.5 hours, cash in hand to buy mine.

I recommend that you go to the top of the page and click on the "More" tab. Under it you will find the "Buyers Checklist" section, under which is a "Boler Buyer's Guide". You might want to also download the other more general buyers guide to read through before you make the trip.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Thanks for the tip on the Buyer's Guide. I didn't even think to look there. Unfortunately this trailer is offered in an Auction, but I will keep that in mind for my ongoing search if this one falls through.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Name: debbie
Trailer: 2010 13' Scamp
North Carolina
Fixer uppers

RUN FOREST,RUN!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Worth driving 10 hours to look?

YES!

I believe you should always go look for yourself. If you are not willing to drive 10 hours to look and buy then you should not be looking at trailers that are 10 hours away for sale!

Having said that "I" have always said to friends who were looking for classic car to budget $1000 for travel for every $10K they are willing to pay for that classic car. Willing to spend $20K to buy a car then budget $2K for travel to look at cars. The same can be said for trailers.

My experience has shown me that after a thorough vetting of the seller on the telephone and pictures (easy in today's world) you will have a pretty good idea of what you are going to see assuming the seller is not just out right lying. However that's the problem as this this makes it far to easy just to buy the item "Sight Unseen" and hope for the best. BAD MOVE!

Most people are NOT UNABLE to go travel to look at whatever item they are interested in buying they are just UNWILLING to go travel and look as this involves time, effort and money. It is truly amazing how much money most folks will gamble on BLIND FAITH!

My experience has shown me that IF I look at enough of anything I am looking to buy I WILL find the one poor SOB that has a really nice one of whatever the expensive item is that I am looking for and they really need to sell. That means a good deal for me! With few exceptions that "Good Deal" far more than makes up for the travel expenditures I spend going to look. The result is I am buying an item in far better condition at a much cheaper price than all the other ones I had looked at previously.

Most importantly there are No Regrets or Buyer's Remorse that results from making a bad decision buying "Sight Unseen"!

The ONLY reason I would most likely NOT go look in this situation is that you said this trailer was listed in an auction. Unless I had a seller that has said he/she was willing to stop the auction if we made a deal OR I was willing to accept the possibility that I might not win the auction AND I truly wanted the trailer then I would go and look so I would really know what I was bidding upon. Any other situation I would not go look or bid on the trailer.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Name: C
Trailer: Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
Im looking at this tonight
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I guess it depends on what the asking price is. The things you have shown are a relatively easy fix. As mentioned above, the condition of the frame and axle are much more important. And if the price is right, even those are replaceable. Are there no other's closer to you?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #12

New Hampshire
I am in NH so that is close. I am driving the route I would tow the trailer back on. I won`t take the interstate since I am unfamiliar with the trailer. It will be about 10 hours round trip since it is all 55 mph or less roads.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
After a year of looking for a Casita 17LD and just missing the buy, when I got a PM asking me if I was still looking, I said YES and immediately booked a round trip flight the next day from Portland, Oregon to Denver, Colorado where the seller picked me up. Inspected, bought, and paid with a wire transfer at his bank from my account in Oregon. Less than 24 hours from his message I was the new owner. It can be done!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: Scamp 13 2015
Ohio
Registry
Scamp 13 Big Bed

Alex,

We have a like new, less than 10,000 miles on it. Asking $10,900. Free delivery within 500 miles negotiable (we are located in central OH). Photos available, but they are the same as on the Scamp Showroom. No A/C, but 3-speed overhead fan. Full bathroom with shower across the front. LP hot water heater, 3-way 1.9 cu ft refrigerator, 16,000 BTU heater, and 2-burner LP range all in like-new working order. The big bed/table sleeps two comfortably.

We have enjoyed this one so much that we have changed our retirement plans a little and ordered a Scamp 19'.

theoldforester

I've included a collage of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp13CollageWeb.jpg  

Tags
vin