Would love to get an all electric egg- MI - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #15

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
yeah people told me to cool the fridge, my plan was a cooler, the fridge is to small for drinks and such so I'll have one, and the battery I think will keep it cold until I get there to load it

Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quebec
My Trillium 4500 used only shore power when I bought it. Some previous owner had removed the battery, but the propane tanks, stove, fridge and furnace were all still there, but nothing worked anymore. They used electric appliances exclusively. So it is possible. I replaced the battery system and switched to solar power, got the propane stove working again and replaced the fridge with an Engel unit.
All to say, you don't really need to remove anything in your present setup. Just use electric appliances where needed.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #17

Michigan
I would prob. have to replace the water heater though...since gas only. I love the idea of solar, that would be nice, but sadly MI is hit or miss on the sun lol, I have a spot reserved for the weekend and am looking forward to sharing my set up, after you all see it, you'll realized why an egg would suit me.....just debating if I want to take an outdoor theatre this weekend....called and only looks like 4 spots reserved, so kids won't have friends to play with and prob. to cold to swim....it'll be like a drive in with a fire and smores would you consider me that annoying camping neighbor or send your kids over so you could enjoy an adult fire alone? lol
Old 09-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
You don't need to replace your water heater. They make electric heat sticks for RV propane water heaters. Can't recommend any specific brand, don't have one. Sisters large 5th wheel came with one.

Pretty sure camping world installs what the sell so you could get a price from them over the phone.

Hott Rod Water Heater Conversion Kit - 6 Gallon - Diamond HR6 - Water Heaters - Camping World

But there are other makes and sources Second picture in the list shows how it is hooked up. Essentially just screws into the drain and plugs in or gets connected to electric

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11673-Wa.../dp/B0024ECCJW

Best of both worlds, you have hot water without having to have the propane tank, provides option of using propane in rustic park OR using electric and saving propane when in a park where you have already paid for electric hookup.

That last was why my sister had it, they mostly camped in places where they had paid for electric so why waste their propane keeping the water hot?

Deep electric skillet is a nice cooking tool for when you have electric. Use it inside or outside.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Michigan
I called and talked to them about new counter for taking out stove, new furnace since they said a/c one won't heat much and an electric water heater with the stick option....looks like they are booked out until Nov. so it'll be a spring project to schedule, time to save a little $$
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #20

Michigan
Well I went out this weekend and overall was ok, my friend thought I was overreacting to the LP as well but it is what it is lol. I did have one couple come up to me the first hour of being there, interested in my trailer, so I told them it all depended if I found a used egg camper by spring and if so I might sell or I will prob. convert over....they took a little tour of mine and thought my bathroom was huge compared to their 13ft version of mine So the quest begins.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Crystal,

I dont care for gas either. BUT, I left my lines in place and just 2 weeks ago, I put my gas tank back on my SCamp to run the water heater and fridge during the day on gas. I was camping out in a field with some friends running a gen so I was electric at night and cooking on a single element in the morning. I took the gas stove out but left the "pan" so I can return it to factory stock should I sell...important to some if you sell it.

I DID convert my Atwood water heater to electric via the "HottRod". Read on..

SO, here's some mods I did while converting to electric. Since I left the stove pan in the Scamp to which the gas burners reside, how did I handle that? Check out these photos I took of that mod:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57652349079760

Now, what about my water heater conversion?
While both of these mods are quite involved, this one would require some electrical expertise to hook it up like I did. I have it running on its own breaker. BUT, it also comes with a standard 120v electrical connection and some just run a dropcord to the pedestal in a campground and run it separate. Anyway, here's my installation to convert my wh to electric. It's a bit of "over the hill" but you have to remember, I LOVE to "mod" and tinker. My wife says I've made it a "hobby".... ummm..somewhat maybe.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57648895548394

My fridge is the small 1.9 ci Dometic. It runs on gas/12v/120. I use 12v going down the road....120v at night of course.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #22

Michigan
I would put a cap on the propane line down by the tank, install a hot rod in the water heater. Pack a couple of bookshelf size "cube" heaters to supplement the AC heat strip.

For the stove either cover with one of the many metal covers and use as a base for electric hot plate, skillets etc. Or if I wanted to burn some bridges (and money) disconnect the stove, cap that line and drop an electric counter stove in the propane stoves place. Turn the fridge switch to electric rather than propane.

Your propane is taken out of commission and safely sealed with one of these. Stove line can be capped with another if you decided to pull the stove and replace rather than cover.

Several variations of these stove covers exist so the stove is covered and can be used as counter space where electric hot plate or cooking apliances could be used.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43554-Un...s=stove+covers

If you like your camper and just don't want to have the propane to deal with that should be relatively inexpensive and easy to accomplish while preserving the ability to use propane which should help resale value.

Remove the tank + cap the line = no propane to be concerned about.
Replace the tank + remove the cap = all propane options are restored.

I think keeping the option of propane will help resale value. Even a newbie looking to buy the first camper is going to look around and say all those other ones for sale can use electric or propane, this one is electric only.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Crystal,

I dont care for gas either. BUT, I left my lines in place and just 2 weeks ago, I put my gas tank back on my SCamp to run the water heater and fridge during the day on gas. I was camping out in a field with some friends running a gen so I was electric at night and cooking on a single element in the morning. I took the gas stove out but left the "pan" so I can return it to factory stock should I sell...important to some if you sell it.

I DID convert my Atwood water heater to electric via the "HottRod". Read on..

SO, here's some mods I did while converting to electric. Since I left the stove pan in the Scamp to which the gas burners reside, how did I handle that? Check out these photos I took of that mod:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57652349079760

Now, what about my water heater conversion?
While both of these mods are quite involved, this one would require some electrical expertise to hook it up like I did. I have it running on its own breaker. BUT, it also comes with a standard 120v electrical connection and some just run a dropcord to the pedestal in a campground and run it separate. Anyway, here's my installation to convert my wh to electric. It's a bit of "over the hill" but you have to remember, I LOVE to "mod" and tinker. My wife says I've made it a "hobby".... ummm..somewhat maybe.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57648895548394

My fridge is the small 1.9 ci Dometic. It runs on gas/12v/120. I use 12v going down the road....120v at night of course.

Way to complex for me!! I'd have to pay someone, but that tray lid is awesome!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
That is a nice mod to get from gas stove to electric. Most or at least many folks would have to pay for that stove removal. Any propane shop or RV place should be able to do the work.

Mounting a store bought wood cutting board is an easy light handyman job if you have someone in your area that does that.

Nice pictures of exactly what I was describing. Cap the line at the front and plug the line at the stove. Literally any propane store (delivers propane to rural homes in the phone book under propane delivery) or plumber can do that part.

Selling and buying a camper takes time and money. Fixing one to exactly match your needs and desires take time and money. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other. That is why I say if you like the camper you have except for the propane you have to consider what will it cost to get that in a different all electric, and how much hassle and cost will there be in selling one and buying another.

I'm pretty sure I would not sell the house because I did not like the appliances. I would replace the appliances. Unless I did not like the house and wanted to move anyway. Then appliances are a perfectly good reason to move.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #25

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Thanks Crystal/Roger.

That was a basic cutting board we had standing by the fridge in our house that had never even been used. I lightened it just for the heck of it but DID remove 2-1/2 lbs of wood! The hinges are just simple hinges you can get from any hardware store such as Lowes, HomeDepot, etc.

One note I will add here, I DID turn on the propane to check for a leak there on the plug where the stove was- especially since it's an internal fitting.

On the water heater, I have a setup that uses nylon bushings to help protect the opening in my water heater from wear n tear. The alum tool I made; I got the idea while looking around at Sears and spotting a "crow's foot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #26

Michigan
I just ordered a little ceramic heater from Amazon I saw on a post in forum. I can't wait to get it!! It's red and will totally look cute in my little trailer. I figure for as small as my trailer is, it won't take much to take the chill out of the air this weekend Save the LP for the water heater and suck up the electric I already paid for
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I think you will find that although most of us with propane heaters also own small electric ones and they are used when plugged into power as the propane heaters - particle older ones can be loud when running at night & when plugged in your paying for the electrical so you may as well use it rather than the propane. I sure would not spend any money on having the AC/Heat strip system removed from the trailer as its way cheaper and easier just to not use it if the propane is the issue for you.

As far as spending money to replace the counter to remove the stove top you do not use goes, check the website of the maker/brand of your stove. You may find that they sell a cover for the stove you own.

Or as has been suggested making your own cover for it is very do able. A number of threads on that topic. The serving tray is one option but you may find your having to do a bit of shopping to find the perfect sized one. I made one out of a large cheap Ikea cutting board.

Stove Cover

Stove Top Cover
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #28

Michigan
Thanks Carol! I will prob. not convert anything. After having someone come up to me at the last campout within an hour of setting up, I know I can sell it quickly as is. I will likely just not use the propane if I get the water heater converter next year (spring time). I will just cover as you said the burners and then shut the tank off. I am still on the quest of an egg camper though. I was torn on the little snoozy and the egg, the one thing that I like with snoozy is the back entry for bikes, but as someone was telling me, they can't come out and be under an awning like a side one......I could see that as an issue. I will be on the quest for the egg camper used, but for now will play nice with the one I have