Would love to get an all electric egg- MI - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #43

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Darral, why did you make those comments about Eggcamper being on shaky ground for the past couple of years? I don't think so....but wonder why you do....

2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #44

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Darral, why did you make those comments about Eggcamper being on shaky ground for the past couple of years? I don't think so....but wonder why you do....

personally I took it to mean, that if I got one, I might not be able to have it serviced it he goes out of business. Since the surgery things have been on hold and if he sells to someone else. I'm assuming he just means to be cautious as new owners could run product into ground if not done right.....I didn't take offense and it would not deter me either....I think with anything, car, home, etc....once past a certain time, buyer beware and things might not be perfect and then have to deal with them on your own.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #45

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
EggCamper web site has a message "temporarily closed new production schedule yet to be announced".

With any business that depends on the owner to set the standards a change in ownership can be a reason to be a bit cautious in terms of how you do business. If nothing else change and transition is normally not 100% smooth.

I like EggCamper have seen them at the Algonac rally and they are nice. Double hull design offers some benefits for sure, more weight but stuff usually has a upside and downside trade off so it is up to the individual to weigh those themselves. If you can tow the weight it would seem mostly upside.

I think if all electric function is the goal, the suggestion to cap propane lines and remove the propane items is a good approach. Have a lot of options for what to purchase and preserve resale value by being set up for all electric use but option is there for propane. Just remember the walls need to have insulation or they will tend to sweat condensation. And be hot or cold depending on weather.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #46

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hi RogerDat,
Yes, I know about the current status of being temporarily closed, but my question was why the comment was made that "the ride with them has been on very shaky grounds for the past couple years".
Just curious, that's all.....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #47

Michigan
Quote:
Hi RogerDat,
Yes, I know about the current status of being temporarily closed, but my question was why the comment was made that "the ride with them has been on very shaky grounds for the past couple years".
I don't know anything about the last couple of years, it is a small business, these tend to depend a lot on one or two people being healthy. Easy for small business to run into financial problems if anything interferes with cash flow or creates a sudden shift in operating or manufacturing costs. Not producing product would definitely hurt cash flow, unless they had an inventory to sell that covers the time frame.

Not having any production according to the web site throughout this past spring and this summer is not encouraging. Now that I think about it I am stumped about when I first saw the not in production at this time message.

It would be great if the company can continue, as I said I like the camper. Like the fact that there is a FGRV company here in Mich. Hope you can find "the one" you want. I find when people have their heart set on something they suffer buyers remorse much less often if they get that, rather than a compromise, unless something else really sparks their interest and emotions.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #48

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Letitia...you asked a question on something I posted and you deserve an answer. Unfortunately, we base alot of comments simply based on "owners" comments or people that have had dealings with companies etc in these forums and that's what I based my comment on. Owners and BUSINESS owners have to realize ONE major facet of advertising for themselves and that is- "Word of Mouth". It can and MOST of the time will make or break a company!

Consider my "...for the past couple of years..." a pulled-out-of-the-air figure of speech. It actually seems they may have been on questionable ground longer than that based on the quote I include below.

I include a direct quote from a poster and I believe this was over a year ago. Personally, with this comment below alone, I'd steer away from EggCamper. AND, think about if you just bought a brand new EC right before his "close down". Here it is:

"When we bought our EggCamper (in 2009), Jim said he closed down operations every winter and went to Arizona. He said that he built the EggCamper more as a retirement "hobby" than as a business. This also explains the attitude that 'you can have it as I make it, or go somewhere else.'"

If I were buying a new FG right now (and I bought my Scamp BRAND new in 2010), it would be an Escape! Hands down!!

Sorry...no offense meant at ALL for current EC owners and what I said is just my opinion but I'm sticking with it. If it's too offensive, the moderators will delete it I'm sure. I'll accept that. But the bottom line is, I still WOULD not recommend an EggCamper to anyone in their current status. CLOSED.

Quote:
Hi RogerDat,
Old 08-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #49

Michigan
On that you can have it as I make it attitude....

I have an ex-father in law was still working at remodeling into his 70's anyway. He had a list of requirements. Place for his houseboat to dock with power, water, cable etc. or a guest apartment for him to stay in. Use of a car, didn't like driving his work van around. And he would work just as many hours a day as he felt like. Said he was old and if his after lunch nap didn't end after breakfast tomorrow that was just the way it was.

He did however have a reputation for doing a job that people just went "wow" when they saw it completed. Even with those requirements he was as busy as he wanted to be and was the opposite of "discount priced". All I know is he could build furniture such as a dresser out of the back of his work van in an afternoon using tools I would use to build a shed. So yeah old retired guys can be notional, and even cranky but if they do the work better, or produce a better product I guess people will buy it if they can.