Would love to get an all electric egg- MI - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Would love to get an all electric egg- MI

I currently have a 2008 16ft "other" type camper with LP gas, and would love to get a hold of an all electric egg locally. I would even trade mine for yours if you still wanted a camper and any additional $$ to purchase your egg. I just really want to go all electric after only owning mine this year (bought from a dealer used, everything works except a speaker and a remote). I'm in no hurry and will be camping for a couple more weekends before storing in a fairground building for the winter (which then I won't have access to until other units around mine will be taken out as well). I'm hoping being in MI gives me an advantage. Thanks! Might just get the 2016 if nothing before then. Mine will sleep up to 5 with bunks and dining convert, bath/shower combo, awning, outside shower, spot for grill to hook outside (but I don't have a grill) air, heat, fridge, stove, dvd player/radio, small flat screen, outdoor speakers). After listing all that I realize why I bought it, but again would rather just have electric

Old 09-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
I'll trade you our uber customized 2014 Oliver Elite II for your SOB and $65K boot. I'm messing with you, of course, I wouldn't take $65K for ours. I'll be surprised if someone here is willing to trade a FGRV for anything else.

Good luck with your search, but just out of curiosity, what's wrong with using propane?

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I'll trade you our uber customized 2014 Oliver Elite II for your SOB and $65K boot. I'm messing with you, of course, I wouldn't take $65K for ours. I'll be surprised if someone here is willing to trade a FGRV for anything else.

Good luck with your search, but just out of curiosity, what's wrong with using propane?

I've read all the forums on such and it comes down to personal taste. It'll be just me and the kids most of the time since the hubby isn't one to camp. We are doing local state campgrounds with electric hook ups and the propane scares me more than I thought (like outright almost panic attack with the thought of it lol, sounds crazy I know). I have my "friends with campers" pretty much set me up for the weekend and I feel like a mooch. I know it'll be hard to trade, my hopes was someone needed something to get buy that would house more people than that egg, or they decided they didn't want all electric and want to make a little $$ and still have a smaller trailer (never know, someone might want some cash in their pocket I talked to Jim also and am on the list for the 2016 trailers. I pull it with my Traverse and the trailer is right around 2500#, so size it about trade for trade. I paid cash wanting one with lots of options (and my friends said I needed propane so I bit the bullet) and now wishing I had held out for the electric. I was originally looking for a used 2009 Shasta all electric model they had but they weren't anywhere and I didn't know about the egg being electric until this year I won't say buyers remorse, but I guess I should have researched another year....I thought I was doing good with all the research I did do! Now it comes down to comfort level and "what I really need" vs "what others think I needed"
Old 09-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

Michigan
oh and I can run it almost all electric, the a/c has optional heat, the fridge is 3way, the pump is electric, just the hot water heater is gas and since we don't take showers I have been tempted to just boil water if my camper friends aren't around.....again, I made a step up from a tent, but loved the effortless maintenance of it, just not the wet floor part of it......
Old 09-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Have you considered replacing the gas item(s) with electric ? Sounds like everything else in your rig is good for you. Might be a cheaper way than a new trailer.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I would agree with Dave. You can switch out the water heater for electric only, get an electric furnace or ceramic heater to supplement the AC heating strip, run the fridge on the electric setting, etc. Then, take the propane tank off and cap the line. No more gas fears! This would be far cheaper if you really like the camper you have. Electric water heaters are very available and not hard to swap out.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
I agree heartily that swapping out and eliminating the propane on your own if you like the rig otherwise is sensible and would be a lot easier! Myself, I would ALSO prefer all-electric and if we end up with something with propane, it's going OUT. Same exact reasons, isn't that interesting? I like the Nests, but they are spendy. VERY uber cool, though, but not this year, next year, or probably the year after, either! best luck to you and do consider just converting yours! I envy you having one you like (minus the propane) and the chance to customize it for yourself.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Michigan
Thanks everyone and I guess I didn't realize that was an option. My one concern would be resale. Do you think since it was gas others would not like it? I do like this option though and never considered it. We have a local RV place and I wonder how much it would run me. Since mine only cost me about $9k, fixing would have to be cheaper than another $15k for the egg.....thanks group, someday I would love an egg, but I would rather buy one used from someone that needs a rehoming for it than overpopulate the world with eggs It's like buying a puppy vs. adopting, I hope if anyone upgrades to a larger egg you'll keep me in mind for your little eggcamper in Michigan I'll call and talk to the RV place later. Maybe I'll have all this done in the spring, uber excited now!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Would love to get an all electric egg- MI

LOL... no danger of egg overpopulation! They're common enough on this forum, but most other places they're fairly rare in comparison to other types of RVs.

I think your resale concerns are valid. The large majority of campers do want propane systems. I suppose it depends on how long you might keep the trailer after making the conversion.

There are two egg-type trailers currently being manufactured that are all-electric: EggCamper and Lil Snoozy. EggCamper recently announced a hefty price increase. Used ones do come up occasionally, not often.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
My first thought was that you could swap out the non-electric components to electric too.

Heat wise, I would bring along a small cube heater too, as the heat strip in the A/C might not keep up in temps nearer freezing very well.

If you a certain that you will always be in campgrounds where you can be connected, there is nothing at all wrong with all electric, and some things can be simplified, like never having to go and refill a propane tank. However, you would be limited to these campgrounds, and there are just so many great places to visit and see where you will not have hook-ups.

Another option you might entertain, is to bring along separate electric appliances. A good hotplate could be set up on the existing stove, using the cube heater, and using an electric kettle to boil water if you didn't want to swap your water heater out with a dual fuel one. You could then just leave the propane system empty, and still have it in place for resale.

I have a friend who too is a bit paranoid about propane in her motor home. This was more when they first got it, but is much better with it now. She knew she could not camp with us without it, short of running a genset a lot, and we would not be too pleased with that. She had not even thought about the fact that her home air and water was heated with gas, something she had lived with her whole life.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #11

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
You could leave the gas lines in place and save what you take out. then if you sell, you can offer the buyer their choice. Won't take up that much room.

Mon
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #12

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I think your problem is solved by just running the refrigerator on electric only, running the water heater on electric and buying an induction cooktop ($60). You can always just remove the LP bottle if is scares you that much. Sounds really limiting to me though. How you going to keep your food cold in route?
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Food will stay cold on route if you pre-cool the fridge the night before. We never run with the fridge turned on propane.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My first thought was that you could swap out the non-electric components to electric too.

Heat wise, I would bring along a small cube heater too, as the heat strip in the A/C might not keep up in temps nearer freezing very well.

If you a certain that you will always be in campgrounds where you can be connected, there is nothing at all wrong with all electric, and some things can be simplified, like never having to go and refill a propane tank. However, you would be limited to these campgrounds, and there are just so many great places to visit and see where you will not have hook-ups.

Another option you might entertain, is to bring along separate electric appliances. A good hotplate could be set up on the existing stove, using the cube heater, and using an electric kettle to boil water if you didn't want to swap your water heater out with a dual fuel one. You could then just leave the propane system empty, and still have it in place for resale.

I have a friend who too is a bit paranoid about propane in her motor home. This was more when they first got it, but is much better with it now. She knew she could not camp with us without it, short of running a genset a lot, and we would not be too pleased with that. She had not even thought about the fact that her home air and water was heated with gas, something she had lived with her whole life.

Yeah at home my hubby deals with that, but he made it clear he was not a camper and wouldn't go along...he will join us for the campfire then go home if we are local. My kids are young and all thier friends go and I didn't want my kids to always have to be the tag alongs, I wanted to be part of it as well. So no we are not die hard campers going off the grid or cross country, if that was the case I'd need to buy a larger car too My 6 cylindar does ok, but when I hit some hills it'll be challenging for it. I think it might be at most the next 5-8 years unless my hubby comes around. I think this is what I'll look into but meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for an egg Yeah after talking to Jim I think he hiked the price up to slow the sales down.....I truly believe that, but he said people are still buy them so he'll have to retire, so eggs hatched in Michigan might be coming to and end in a couple years.....I won't be driving cross country to get one....

Although my girlfriends and I have talked about scrapbooking weekend at the campgrounds lol, a little mom vacation time, we could always burn our scrap paper lol