WTB: 13' or smaller fgrv - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
WTB: 13' or smaller fgrv

Hey all!

Testing the waters here. I'm looking for a smaller egg camper, 13' or smaller. I'll probably be traveling alone so a Hunter Jr., Scamp, or Uhaul will do. Does not have to have a bathroom. Preferred fridge and stove setup. I'm not really in the market for teardrops. Budget around 2-2500$. I live in Utah so my range Kia limited to about 1000 miles or less. Thanks for your time!

Patdeesky

Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Need to seriously consider raising your budget as very few molded trailers are in that price range. Those that are tend to be big projects.

The fiberglass RV for sale web site is a good place to start. Check the ones that sold, they likely got close to or full asking price. You won't see any UHauls or Scamps in your budget rangep, except a couple of huge projects (one with no title either).

Notice front page is a 1986 Scamp 13 for $7800. May not sell at that price, who knows? Realistically priced molded trailers sell in a day or two. We sold our last one in four hours, bought ours on the first day they were for sale.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

As Jon mentioned below, this site is best used as a source of pricing information. Molded trailers sell fast, and often don't make that site.

The good news is you can have fun camping without a trailer. Back when we couldn't afford a trailer we car camped with a tent. We had a lot of fun. Even better it's usually a lot easier to get a tent camp site than a trailer site.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Of all you mentioned, the Hunter might be your likeliest candidate. They tend to be cheaper than the classic rounded eggs for a number of reasons (only for two people, lack the "cute" factor). The squared-off shape, flat floor, leaf spring chassis, and wood interior cabinetry also make for an easier first-time renovation project. I say project because, as Bill points out, trailers in your price range generally need a fair bit of work.

But keep your eyes open and be ready to strike when a likely candidate comes along.

The site Bill linked is a good one, but it's mostly repostings from Craigslist and eBay with a few direct owner ads thrown in. To get first in line, you may have to search Craigslist directly using one of the national search sites such as Search Tempest. Just beware of scams. Bill's linked site, www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, does a pretty good job of filtering out scams, but they abound on Craigslist, especially for the smaller molded fiberglass trailers.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Need to seriously consider raising your budget as very few molded trailers are in that price range. Those that are tend to be big projects.
I planned on that, and even welcome it if it isn't a complete basket case. I have been working to get long term, full-time employment to try to buy something nicer, but have been stuck with part-time for now. Budget reflects that. But with the research I have done makes me want to put more to that budget to get a nicer Hunter ll that has a water heater, heater, and possible bathroom. Thanks for giving me directions to websites to see what is --or has-- been out there. The kind of Hunter (the kind with the grooves near the rear, not the smooth skins that I have figured is the base model,) that I am wanting is still in reach, even as a project.

Would it be okay if I keep this thread up so in case someone is selling in this group sees my request?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Patdeesky,

Since the Craigslist ad is still up, I'll post the link to the one I bought:
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/r...244285981.html

I paid the seller $4,000 and luckily it didn't have too many issues. The fresh water tank was missing and there was some fiberglass damage that was repaired due to a tire blow out that resulted in that fresh water tank getting damaged.

I did find out that these fiberglass trailers hold their value.

I hope you can find one in the $2,500 range, it's not out of the range of possibility, though it may need a little work.

I have to agree that if you find one at a good price you have to be first in line. These GO FAST!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Name: Ryan
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Just wait patiently, and you'll find a nice one in to budget. One reason prices are so high is because people on this site continuously scour the web for deals and buy them to resell. The deals will be when you run across one that the owners are not in this site hearing hype, in the off-season when people need to move them and can't use them, and when your ready to pull the trigger to process then sight unseen. I've bought a couple by taking too the other long enough to determine they're legit, and then promising to purchase it. You have to be a man of your word know worst case value, and not water time making a deal. I bought a nice change for two thousand. My brother purchased a beautiful 2010 17 Casita for five thousand, and a sixtteen foot 97 casita for fifteen hundred. Don't believe the hype about high prices, and don't ask some questions and make the buyer mad when you find a deal. If the aforementioned 13 fitter sells for the asking price, somebody paid there thousand too much. If they can find another sucker later on, more per to them. Supply and demand does factor in, when manufacturers come to a place where production in volume is lucrative enough, the market will get flooded, and these will lose value. That's probably five years out, and the scoffers can say what they will, but it's a sure thing. I've seriously thought about starting to manufacture, it's not what I do, but if life were not so short, I definitely would.