WTB 17 ft. Bigfoot 1500 or 2500 series trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Glenn
Trailer: currently shopping
Washington
WTB 17 ft. Bigfoot 1500 or 2500 series trailer

Looking to purchase a 17' Bigfoot, model 15B17G 1990-2004 1500 series newer the better. Would like to buy from Canadian resident to take advantage of exchange rate and get a better trailer for the money. I am in Washington, will travel to BC and pay a fair price . I have a budget of up to 10,000 US. Been looking on Craiglist and know they go very fast so am posting here.
Thanks!
Glenn

Old 03-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you haven't done so already, be sure to explore the entire issue of importing a trailer from Canada before you buy north of the border or even send any money for a deposit. It can range from easy-peasy to nearly impossible. Here is a good start:
Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

And NEVER accept delivery of a trailer that has been brought into the U.S. from Canada that is Canadian registered. There are no work-arounds.

BTW: Just a reminder, the BigFoot 2500 series, aka the BigFoot 17.5', is a lot heavier than the 1500 series BogFopot 17'er. What will you be towing with?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Washington
Bigfoot trailer

Bob, Thanks for the excellent information. I did talk to the DMV in WA who said I needed the signed registration, bill of sale and "border documents". Making sure the trailer has the DOT sticker, getting the bill of sale and registration transferred appears to be what I would need. Little nervous about not having a lien on trailer since in Canada they use the registration, not a title. I assume this can be checked as mentioned in another post. Thanks for the tip about not accepting delivery of a trailer that has been brought into the U.S. from Canada that is Canadian registered.
My truck is a Toyota Sequoia 2001 so should be able to tow the 2500 series also. I figure a 2500 will be quite a bit more expensive than what I stated my budget at, but would love to have the insulation since I do a lot of winter camping when steelhead fishing.
My question to anybody out there is did/does Bigfoot normally have a US DOT sticker on the trailer?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

California
As the 1500 series were all built by the "Old" (pre-bk) BigFoot company the current company can't/won't provide the documentation you need. As far as those that weren't initially made for export, I can't guess how many actually had the DOT sticker applied, much less have it still attached. I do know that the Canadian safety sticker isn't an acceptable substitute.

You might want to contact an import broker with experience in the field, but beware of at least one "Slicker" that offered to do a work-around by having a seller deliver on the U.S. side of the border.

If you can deal with an older unit, those 25 and older come in for free....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Washington
Bigfoot trailer

Looks like it will have to be a 25 year old from Canada or a trailer from the US, as I just checked on one in Canada which was a 1991 and not DOT sticker. The local dealer said that they would not place DOT on Canadian made trailer. Exception would be if planned to be purchased by USA resident. I checked with a broker and they said simply, can't do it without the DOT on the trailer.
The main reason I want a Bigfoot/fiberglass trailer is the size/weight, and also the Bigfoot has the beds that are over 6', and 6', 4" interior height which would work good for myself and family. Probably should not ask this here but what else makes these fiberglass trailers better than traditional types? There is a Takena on craiglist that is also lightweight fairly small and narrow, but not too sure about quailty, etc.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

California
While looking for other information on the NHTSA Website I came across this paragraph under Recommended Best Practices for Importers of Motor Vehicles ....

Recommended Best Practices for Importers of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Compliance Needed to Import Motor Vehicles and Equipment
As part of its safety mandate, NHTSA monitors motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment that are imported into the United States for compliance with applicable FMVSS and regulations. To be imported free of restriction, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must be originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the vehicle’s fabricating manufacturer. To be lawfully imported, a new or used item of motor vehicle equipment that is subject to an FMVSS must, as originally manufactured, conform to the standard and be so certified by its fabricating manufacturer. In most instances, the fabricating manufacturer's certification of compliance with the applicable FMVSS for regulated safety equipment is evidenced by the symbol “DOT” either inscribed on the equipment item in a prescribed location, or placed on the outside of the container in which the equipment item is shipped. See 49 U.S.C. 30112 and 30115.

Tags
bigfoot