WTB: Scamp, Boler, Casita or clone in SoCal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300
California
Wow, that's good to know you both have Trilliums. I had ruled those out due to being a bit higher, but they may be an option with the smaller wheels now.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Ron uses exactly what I use to park my Boler in the garage. They are 4.80x8" wheels with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern so they bolt right up. I got these at Princess Auto so I am sure you can get them at Harbour Freight. They are low speed wheels with a low load rating so not meant for the road.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #17

California
Hey gang, I scored a 79 Boler from a wonderful couple in AZ. I had to remove the top part of the non-fan roof vent and lower the air pressure in the tires, but I did indeed fit it in my 7' garage opening. The vent disassembly was the worst. Looking for ways to cut down that chore. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks for all the advice. It took me 2 hours, and the wheels might have been quicker. Will be donating to the forum shortly.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I'd try going with the 8" wheels and tires as shown in Post #16. Storing the trailer on tires that are very low on pressure won't be kind to the sidewalls and taking a vent on and off sounds like a lot more work than changing two wheels.

You can buy the 8" wheels and tires at Harbor Freight for about $30 ea. Watch for a sale and/or discount coupons.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerShasta View Post
The vent disassembly was the worst. Looking for ways to cut down that chore. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks for all the advice. It took me 2 hours, and the wheels might have been quicker. Will be donating to the forum shortly.
Change out the vent to a Jenson type vent that are far easier to get the cover on and off of! Jenson's older model vents have a long hinge pin that wasn't so hard to get off but the new type just clips on so they should be even easier....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #20

California
Both good tips. I'll probably try the wheels and look at swapping out for a Jenson vent. I actually did reinflate the tires when inside the garage because I was worried about sidewall stress.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerShasta View Post
Both good tips. I'll probably try the wheels and look at swapping out for a Jenson vent. I actually did reinflate the tires when inside the garage because I was worried about sidewall stress.
Take a look at all the vent manufactures sites. There may be better ones/options than the Jenson it just happens to be one I am aware of.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
The '72 Boler I had, used a smaller roof vent. Similar ones are still made. They fit a 9x9 hole (not the standard 14x14), but have a lower profile. Like this:

HENG'S 9" X 9" MINI ROOF VENT

Worst case (which will rile the purists I'm sure) would be to eliminate the roof vent entirely and fill the hole in with fiberglass. Rely on windows or add an extra opening window high on the sidewall somewhere to avoid adding any extra height.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmm... As long as heat continues to rise I'd suggest keeping the roof vent, along with a Fantastic fan, if possible. If you depend on windows for ventilation it's gonna get ever hotter inside on hot days.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
While many of the bolers did have small inadequate vents its pretty easy to make the opening bigger and pop in a whole new more functional vent.

Tags
boler, casita, scamp