WTB: Scamp, Boler, Casita or clone in SoCal - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300
California
WTB: Scamp, Boler, Casita or clone in SoCal

Due to garage height limitation, I'm having to nix my dream of a Burro, Uhaul or Trillium, as I need to cram it under a 7' opening. Not a big fan of the Compact Jr. type trailer, looking for a traditional Egg in the Boler/Scamp mold. Budget wise I'm hoping to keep it >$6000 for a camp ready "tent on wheels". Live in the Los Angeles area, but am willing to travel a little bit for the right egg. Don't have time for a project, and don't need the Taj Mahal. Oh, and probably prefer 13 footers, but won't rule out the larger ones (wife has an aversion to bathrooms in the camper). Looking for bunk beds up front, larger bed in back, and all the basic appliances in working order.

Thanks for any referrals in advance.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Just a heads up, a stock scamp won't fit under a 7' door opening.
What's your plan if I may ask?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

California
My plan was to either swap out for smaller wheels, let air out of tires, pull of roof vent, etc. If that isn't doable, I'm open to other remedies.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerShasta View Post
My plan was to either swap out for smaller wheels, let air out of tires, pull of roof vent, etc. If that isn't doable, I'm open to other remedies.
Leave it parked outside - its a fiberglasss trailer not a sticky so it does much better out in the elements
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

California
I suspect that he has a local ordinance that prohibits parking a trailer outside, usually at a condo complex..... or he may not have a driveway he can park it in.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
when i bought my first boler the guy had made 8" wooden wheels, work really well. he was able to move it in out of his garage and it was a 7 foot opening
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Just buy a really old Boler or Scamp where the Axle has sagged down. Then it'll fit. Our '72 Boler American fit in a 6' 10" door.

I like the wooden wheel bit. I've also read of people having a spare set of just RIMS just for rolling into a garage. I would also wonder about the possibility of welding on some sort of small wheels onto the frame itself. Either permanent or flip down or some such. Two in the back - use a wheel on the crank-down tongue jack and you're there. This might actually get you TOO low though (scrapping the axle or brakes. The appeal of this to me is that you just take the wheels off and you're there - nothing else to swap on, so it's quicker.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #8

California
Hmmmm... Didn't all the first Bolers have wooden wheels??? Wait, that was Studebakers, my bad....
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Yup, wooden wheels and holes in the bottom for your feet so you could push it along. Of course now most people either blocked up those holes or they use them for ice fishing. It's true.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #10

California
I have a fairly short driveway, and it is pretty steep. I'm not real comfortable parking it on the street, therefore the garage thing. I've been looking into making the entrance a little higher, could maybe squeeze another foot out of it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
I've also read of people having a spare set of just RIMS just for rolling into a garage. I would also wonder about the possibility of welding on some sort of small wheels onto the frame itself. Either permanent or flip down or some such. Two in the back - use a wheel on the crank-down tongue jack and you're there.
Thanks Mike,
You just gave me an idea for storing the Trillium in the garage. I want to use the stabilizers to take the load of the axle when stored in the garage. That is hard to do if you want the trailer all the way to the back wall. I'd just have to MacGuyver some slip on wheels onto the stabilizers and we could move the trailer against the wall while stabilized. A pair of those car wheel dollies under the stabilizers might just do it too!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #12

California
Steep Driveway??? Ooops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerShasta View Post
I have a fairly short driveway, and it is pretty steep. I'm not real comfortable parking it on the street, therefore the garage thing. I've been looking into making the entrance a little higher, could maybe squeeze another foot out of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like a problems for a geometry wizard to solve before you buy anything. Here's why:

Even with my Hunter, I have to tip the back down first to get 1/2 into the garage. And, when it's 1/2 way in I have to lower the front so it will clear the tilt up door.

If it's an up-hill driveway, the back of the trailer will be much higher at point of entry and may not clear the opening. If it's a down hill driveway, and you put smaller wheels on, the back of the frame is sure to come into contact with the floor about the same time as the hitch coupler.

Maybe there might have to be a tent trailer in your future.

Just a thought
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #13

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
North Carolina
Registry
Our 13 ft Trillium is stored in our 7 ft garage. Its height is normally 7'4", but we traded out the 13 inch tires for 12 inch rims and it fits under the door with a couple inches to spare. Seems like a lot of trouble to change, but my husband doesn't seem to mind, since we're saving money by not storing it in a rental place.
Good luck on finding an "egg". There was one posted on Craiglist in central CA just a couple days ago. It looked nice.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 in WHEELS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	68662
Had same problem, can't leave outside and 7 ft door on garage. I purchased a couple of 8 inch wheels and that solved the problem. Clears by 1 1/2 in now, also means I can move it around inside. It is a bit of a pain changing wheels but p/solved.
Once winter comes I move it over and jack it up and put it on blocks to take pressure off axle.
Also mean I can work in comfort in winter.

Ron

Tags
boler, casita, scamp