WTB: trailer for 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Garrett
Trailer: in the market
Virginia
WTB: trailer for 4

We are searching for our first travel trailer for our small family. We have two young children, 5 and 2, so we need the ability to sleep four inside (for the time being at least). As they age hopefully we'll convince them to move into a tent.

I'm quite taken with older Bigfoots, and having looked at a 13' Scamp the other day we feel that something in the 16-17' range would be better for us. We don't mind traveling to get what we want, but we live in Virginia and I just can't make a trip to Vancouver work for us, so ideally we'd keep it east of the Mississippi.

AC would be nice and I'd like a wet bath (it's nice when I've been getting muddy riding my dirtbike to be able to wash off and a river/lake isn't always available). My wife doesn't find it to be a necessity though.

Garrett.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Escape 17B with the bunk option!
Allow you'll still need to drive to British Columbia.
Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia

Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #3

Virginia
My wife and I teach. I've got about a week before I go back to work. I've looked into shipping a travel trailer from out west. The average price was close to $2000. I could pick it up myself and enjoy the journey for much cheaper, but at this point I just don't have time. It's gotta be on the eastern portion of the continent.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
I think there is a Scamp 16 with side bath & front bunks that would sleep 4. The side bath is pretty tight though.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Name: Marty
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Scamp Needs

We are in Va and my wife hinted the other day about selling our '92 Scamp floor plan #4. We were 4 and used it as you plan and found it very adequate. How do we connect? I am in Lynchburg.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandDDiversified View Post
We are in Va and my wife hinted the other day about selling our '92 Scamp floor plan #4. We were 4 and used it as you plan and found it very adequate. How do we connect? I am in Lynchburg.
pm sent.

Garrett.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #7

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Trailer four four

Get a twenty foot trailer! 17 feet is ok for one person or two small people! Four people in a 17 foot is nuts!!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Get a twenty foot trailer! 17 feet is ok for one person or two small people! Four people in a 17 foot is nuts!!
I'm afraid that I'd then have to upgrade my tow vehicle. That's just not in the cards.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
How about 4 people in a 13'er? That's what we've been doing for the last 5 years. Kids are now 11 and 14, but petite, so we still fit. Wish now we'd started younger!

I think a lot depends on how much and where you camp. We use ours for short 3-5 day getaways several times a year. We camp at state parks mostly, no hookups, but full bathhouse facilities. We cook outside, spend most of our time outside, and sometimes the kids choose to sleep in a tent.

However we can all sleep inside if needed (head-to-toe makes best use of narrow beds like those in a Scamp or Bigfoot 17). And when we convert the Scamp to day mode, there's plenty of room for all four of us to lounge inside on a cold, wet evening.

We're planning a longer trip next year, about 2 weeks. That may be a test of how far we can stretch it!

I think a Scamp 16 would be fine for vacation-length trips for 4; a Bigfoot 17 even better. The Bigfoot is wider, taller, and boxier than the Scamp, so it will feel roomier but demand more of your tow vehicle.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Virginia
Thanks for the voice of experience Jon. My current tow vehicle is an 06 Honda Odyssey outfitted with a brake controller and transmission and ps coolers. The tow rating is 3500 lbs and the payload is 1400 lbs.

I've got access to a VW Touareg (7700 lbs) and an F150 (6600 lbs). Both belong to my parents, but they'd have no problem swapping for a spell. That being said, I love my minivan and would hate to give up the convenience of it. So for argument's sake let's say we are sticking with the Honda.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
WTB: trailer for 4

Then I'd stick with the Scamp 16 if it were me, especially if mountain grades, headwinds, high elevations, and/or hot temperatures might be in the mix. I tow with a Pilot 2WD, same engine and 3500/350 tow rating as your Odyssey. No way I'd pull a Bigfoot out here in the West, where it's not uncommon to have all of the listed conditions at once! Maybe close to home in Virginia...

Check your owner's manual regarding payload and towing. Mine has a chart showing how the trailer and tongue weight ratings decrease as you add passengers or equivalent cargo.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Garrett,

There is another active thread that you might want to read:
Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

With the 54" main bed and the front sofa and bunks, you might be able to get
by with a Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A like ours (with substitution of front sofa/bunks
for the normally installed front dinette) .

There are a couple of rallies on the east coast in a couple of months where
you could see a variety of trailers .... maybe even 1 or 2 that might meet
your needs.

Send me a private message with your email address if you want more
details about our trailer.

Best of luck to you!

Ray