WTB unit w bath, easy to tow - in good condition - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: alice
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
WTB unit w bath, easy to tow - in good condition

We're pretty open about the manufacturer - Scamp, Casita, Lil Snoozy, etc. Mostly we are interested in;
  • A camper in good condition -(not a major project)
  • The lighter, the better. We currently have 3500 Tow capacity (but considering getting vehicle with better tow ...)
  • We want indoor bathroom
  • Hubs is 6'2" - need him to be able to stand up and also sleep comfortably
  • We're in Austin - ideally
located where we could go see the camper easily - but that's not a show stopper

Thanks for letting me post here. I look forward to getting our camper and being part of your online community.

aerrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
In the world of used molded FG trailers, local finds are just about impossible. Figure a radius of about 8 hours from where you live, maybe even further. Our current trailer was ten hours away (one way). Realize a trailer that is far from you will be close to other potential buyers (the competition). So sellers aren't going to be interested in meeting you half way, delivering, or whatever. Its a sellers market right now, big time.

Given tow limitations, I'd drop Casita from your list. The only Casita tall enough for you is a 17 footer, which will be too heavy. And on the 17 footer, Casita interior height is listed at 6' 1 1/2".

Saw an Egg trailer this past weekend. Very hard to find, but they are tall on the inside and wider than most FG trailers, making for a longer bed too!

Check out the weights in the real world for actual weight information. Manufacturers dry weights are always lower than real world, often a lot lower than real world.

Lil Snoozy has only been in production for just a few years, finding one used is going to be challenging.

Want to see trailers easily? Go to a rally and look at people's trailers. Even if the rally is a bit of a drive, you could see four or five different brands and sizes at one rally, if not a lot more! Most people are more than happy to give tours. We bought our trailer BEFORE we went to our first rally (mistake). Once we saw other trailers, we knew the one we bought was a MISTAKE for us! Its hard to know what any trailer is like without climbing up inside and checking it out. Fortunately, the used FG market is excellent, so the mistake didn't cost us that much in $$.

For some guidance on what trailers are selling for, check out the fiberglass RV for sale web site, and look at the SOLD listings. Very likely trailers sold for close to if not full asking price. People new to FG trailers are often shocked how expensive they are in comparison to the stick built trailers, and for how little they depreciate. A 30 year old FG trailer in good condition is likely going to sell for 2 or 3 times its original retail price!

On the smaller 13 foot trailers, to get a dedicated bath, you really give up a lot of room in the trailer. Realize on a 13 foot trailer, the fiberglass body is only 10 feet long. So if you lose 2 feet or more of the length (Scamp front bath), you only have 8 feet for everything else.

New Scamps have a listed interior height of 6-3. Since the trailers don't come stock with roof A/C, I assume a unit with an AC is going to be shorter where the AC resides.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter-ing while I shop
Denver, CO
Bill said it well. I would encourage you to learn or maybe make a spreadsheet with models and interior heights. I think Egg Trailers, Parkliners and Snoozys are among the taller ones. Either Casita or Scamp had a factory fire about 10 years ago, and their post-fire models are a little taller. That is to say they can vary by year, and certainly by length. Good luck.

PS, For safety, and liability I do encourage you to watch the weight. As you know, trailers gain hundreds of pounds when set up for the road.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with Bill. Most of the taller options- Casita 17 (which is only 6'1" BTW), EggCamper, Lil Snoozy, Escape, Parkliner- are going to be marginal or overweight for a 3500# rated vehicle. Consider tongue weight as well, as most smaller vehicles aren't going to be too happy with a really heavy hitch weight. Most Casita 17's, for example, are over 400# on the tongue.

A Scamp 16, at around 2400-2600# loaded, might work depending on how much gear you bring. However, the listed 6'3" interior height is optimistic, at least based on my 13' Scamp with the same height spec- I can't find more than 6'1-1/2" anywhere, and that's without A/C. The main bed is quite small, too, at 45"x76". Scamp deluxe (wood interior) models have bigger beds, but they tend to be a little heavier, too.

I suspect a tow vehicle upgrade may be in the cards.

I would encourage you to start finding ways to get an in-person look at some of the options. Published numbers don't always tell the whole story. As said, attending a fiberglass egg rally is a great way to see lots at one time. I believe you mentioned elsewhere you have a pop-up now, and I'm sure you would be welcome to join a rally in that or make a day visit if you prefer. Some have an official "open house" time, but even if not, many owners are very willing to give an informal tour. See our Rally Calendar for locations and dates, and contact event coordinators for advice about scheduling a visit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: alice
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
thanks

Thanks for info Bill.
I think we need to more strongly consider getting a vehicle with higher tow capacity. That was already on our consideration list, so maybe just move up in the priorities.

I really like the idea of going to a rally and seeing a variety of campers. We've walked thru all that we are actively considering, but not all in one place. That would be really beneficial.

Maybe we just need to pony up and get one someone's wait list for a new one. Casitas are 4 months out, Lil Snoozy is a year out...

I'm a little surprised that there is such demand and limited supply when the other small campers (not fiberglass) are so readily available. Kind of makes you want get involved in the fiberglass manufacturing industry, doesn't it (ok, not really - that's just me musing, but it is an interesting supply demand.)

Again, thanks for your kind advise.
alice
aerrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
RV sales in general are at all time record high. The challenge many are having right now is getting good help. Building a factory without a workforce is holding people back. Wall Street Journal recently had an article on RV makers in Elkhart, IN. They have gone to monthly stay bonuses, stopped drug testing, get workers from a nearby prison and more.

Molded FG are more expensive to build and with a relatively small niche market, not many are interested in doing it. But Lil Snoozy, Parkliner and Airstream have all entered recently. There are others too. Used, particularly on recent models, you won’t save much money versus new but you do avoid the long wait.

Last I heard Snoozy requires 40% down up front!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I'm 6'2" and I'll repeat the urging to go to a rally and get inside a bunch of trailers, even those listed at lower heights; you may find out that a stooped movement from door to table to bed isn't a big deal, and many users note that you really don't walk in these things.

But I decided height was a big deal for me, and that the published dimensions aren't reliable enough to go on; both the 17 Casita and Scamp 16 were always too short by about an inch. Definitely try before deciding.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 AM   #8

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Hello Aerrett,
Please consider a Parkliner. Dry weight is 2300 lbs. We pull ours easily with a Toyota Highlander, a friend of ours with a Honda Pilot. We've shown our trailer to people over 6' (one 6'5") and they fit *easily* inside the Parkliner. The man who designed it was over 6' and wanted a trailer he felt comfortable in.

I know we live a long way from Texas (Raleigh, NC area), but you won't find a better value in a fiberglass trailer because of all the extras included in our price. PM me for a complete list if you're interested, ok? See our ad in the classified.

Mary
Mary OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
re the Egg Campers, they mostly have no propane, so are really only suitable for RV park hookup camping, unless you want to run a generator for hot water and heat and fridge.... something like 80% of our camping is off grid, so we'd never consider one of those.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 AM   #10

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
"re the Egg Campers, they mostly have no propane, so are really only suitable for RV park hookup camping, unless you want to run a generator for hot water and heat and fridge.... something like 80% of our camping is off grid, so we'd never consider one of those."

...not true of the Parkliner. Refrigerator is 3 powered: propane, AC or DC.
Hot water and heat are propane or electric, so off grid is doable. Only microwave and AC must have electric plug in, so don't think you would camp off grid in desert for more than a night or so. Our Parkliner has 2 propane tanks.
Mary OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary OConnor View Post
"re the Egg Campers, they mostly have no propane, so are really only suitable for RV park hookup camping, unless you want to run a generator for hot water and heat and fridge.... something like 80% of our camping is off grid, so we'd never consider one of those."

...not true of the Parkliner. Refrigerator is 3 powered: propane, AC or DC.
Hot water and heat are propane or electric, so off grid is doable. Only microwave and AC must have electric plug in, so don't think you would camp off grid in desert for more than a night or so. Our Parkliner has 2 propane tanks.
well, sure. not true of either my Casita 16 or Escape 21, either. But, most EggCampers do not have propane. So what I said, stands.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote